Liberals - policies may cause a recession??

Wow

The libs have been in for over 4 months....and what disaster...I know some will say labor had caused all this....but the Liberals don't have a plan.

Here are some of my concerns:

1. Their diplomacy skills are non exisitent.....they have riled our key trading partners...Indonesia..and China...they seem to have gone to the old Anglo-centric view of the world..

2. They have ill thought out policies...they withdrawn support from any industries which are not sustainable over the long run ...car, Qantas, manufacturing. Whilst I agree that these industries cannot kept going due to high labor costs....this needs to be planned otherwise the displacement of people from jobs and thus spending in the economy will drop and cause confidence to drop thus causing further job losses unnecessarily.

3. The have failed on immigration....even China a country with poor human rights absuses have spoken out against Australia.

4. No transparency on what they are doing...Scott Morrison, George Brandis are all claiming that this being kept for secrecy reasons...what a bunch of hogwash...we are now officially living in a police state.

5. Joe Hockey is the most negative treasurer to date. All he talks about is cuts Health, Pensions, Centreline, Jobs.....this is not good as it affects confidence.

It will certainly be interesting to see if this is a one term government...I don't think the Australian public is impressed by the current government's track record to date.

Would love to hear constructive discussions.....failed liberal politicians need not reply! :)

Would love to hear constructive discussions.....failed liberal politicians need not reply! :)
I agree they are unimpressive but disagree re: cuts. The cuts of the previous government hurt me a lot:-
-cuts to the non-concessional contributions cap
-cuts to the FEE/HELP (PELS) voluntary contribution
-cuts to the low income superannuation co-contribution (affected my parter)
-cuts to the health care rebate + increase of the Medicare Levy Surcharge

There are others but I don't want to think about it now. I'm just waiting for a government to make a policy decision where I am not worse off. I think the last one was around 2002?

I'm not a lib supporter but in think it's too early to tell yet.

A new government, of any persuasion, making a lot of changes will usually make the hard unpopular decisions early in their term, with more popular measures getting toward election time.

But no-one is arriving by boat .. apparently.

Ive always ben a staunch Labour voter, life long, but not a card carrying member. IMO Labor deserved what it go with the Julia Kevin popularity debate. As for the mining tax and the carbon tax, don't get me started.

Have to say, I am a little bit on the side of Libs with the boat issue and so what if they **** off Indonesia a bit, too bad, what has Indonesian Govt done to stop people smugglers using Indonesia as a launch pad to entry into Australia.?

Just my opinion.

It will certainly be interesting to see if this is a one term government...I don't think the Australian public is impressed by the current government's track record to date.

I think you are projecting your views onto the Australian people. Fact is that they won the election, are getting things done, and the recent job losses etc are more a product of the ALP's failed policies than the LNP's who have only been in power for less than 6 months.

Labor messed up big time on many issues and did very well with others.

I abhor Abbott and Bishop and think they are complete embarrassments to this country, it's a personal thing on my side, however, let's give them a chance.

I want to see a broadband plan. Under the previous government's "plan", I was in the "see you in 100 years" category... which was infuriating since I only live 7km from the CBD. NBN ran from the airport to my closest safe labor seat, right down a road that is less than 1 block from my house. My council applied for NBN but was refused because it is not in a safe labor seat. If I get NBN a few years earlier than under the previous plan, I'll be happy!

Apparently, the boats have stopped?

But those detention centres look like pressure cookers ready to explode.

I hate when something happens there because a greenies head always ends up on my TV screen.

Labor messed up big time on many issues and did very well with others.

I abhor Abbott and Bishop and think they are complete embarrassments to this country, it's a personal thing on my side, however, let's give them a chance.
I can't say I am a supporter yet. I gave the last govt a chance and they let me down. Going back on core values, like no-descrimination etc is pretty wrong IMO. I don't see this as a visionary government... yet. They may yet prove me wrong.

NBN, I don't get it. My internet is fast enough, why do I need more?

If I lived in the bush or somewhere regional,maybe, but really, I run a business from home all internet based and have no issues.

Datto - how many of the asylum seekers truly need asylum? Serious question.

NBN, I don't get it. My internet is fast enough, why do I need more?
I only got ADSL2+ about 2 years ago when they upgraded my exchange. My issue is that it is unrelible. I don't want or need to be able to donwload game of thrones in 7 seconds. The lib-band looks heaps fast enough for me. Rudd-band was overkill IMO. It was so far away the people in my area called it never-never band... lol

Datto: Hah! So you DO have insider information.

PGuy: I have ADSL2 and it's perfect for my business needs, I also don't download Game of Thrones, or any big files, I find things super fast and super reliable. Maybe I get preferential internet treatment cause I don't live in a bogan suburb like you :p

sash - was that really necessary? The latter half of your sentence is diametrically opposed to the first half and a smiley face doesn't make up for it. I've got no problem with getting stuck into serving politicians for whatever you want to disagree with them about - it's part of their job description - but I draw the line at getting stuck into private citizens who had a red hot go but didn't make it.

If you don't want to hear people's opinions then don't post. If you do, then expect a wide diversity of opinion. You can't have it both ways - if you only want to listen to people who agree with you then it's your loss.

BTW, with 1.8% population growth per annum, per capita GDP would have to shrink by more than that figure over two consecutive quarters to qualify for a recession. While we do have challenges associated with the wind down in the investment boom, we are only just entering a production boom so it's pretty hard to see that happening.

Job losses are just starting and its because the last 6 years had no economic control and now that spending has to be reigned in and spending cut. Australian's have a bloody nice life and welfare is extremely generous. The effect of wage deflation and job losses won't be felt til 9-12 months after the event. Indonesia is not our biggest trading partner and China will buy off us because we are close to them and have a stable country politically. I think you need to learn about international trade.

People who bought property at 2-3% yields hoping for gains will be hurt in the next 3 years. That's my opinion.

Ps: I live in PNG at the moment and the locals are for sure the ones who beat up the asylum seekers. They don't want them there and PNG is such a violent place. I bet the seekers who left the detention centre in protest ran back pretty fast when a bunch of bush knife wielding rascals came after them.

332749.jpg

images

I actually don't think our recent record on asylum seekers is a joke. Considering the waves of refugees we have embraced over time, it is disappointing (to say the least) to see each progressive government implement meaner and meaner policies towards asylum seekers.

I think Fraser and Hawke were actually pretty reasonable with their treatment of asylum seekers. But since then, it has been pretty much a race to the bottom. Keating?s Labor government introduced mandatory detention, Howard introduced temporary protection visas (TVPs), Rudd abolished TVPs - leaving asylum seekers worse off, Gillard tried to fob them off to Malaysia. IMO, the "Malaysian solution" is a low point in Australian politics. Gillard ultimately shipped off asylum seekers to PNG, where they have now been attacked.

But then again, we used to have the White Australia policy, so I guess it's not that surprising.

Back