Life is more than about money

Over the past few months ive spent a lot of time with a particluar tradie on a reno, ive been to his house, had drinks with him, drank with his mum, had dinner with him

He is unreliable, temperamental, cheap but is honest, is a nice guy and has a good heart and works hard when he actually turns up, isnt hungover, or consumed too many illicit drugs

Being in a low socio economic area, in his mid 20s, living in a town with high unemployment., rampant drug use you are not far off stereotypes.

Naturally, money is always an issue. He never has any, he works for me a few days a week and also gets unemployment benefits,
he lives with his mum who also doesnt work, and rents a cheap but nice house, (i doubt she will ever be able to buy a house)

both him and his mother smokes a pack of cigarettes each per day, drink jack daniels pre mix (which arent cheap)from 9am, and also smoke bongs

ive also never met anyone who can spend $20+ for lunch at mcdonalds, or hungry jacks, per person for every meal

he constantly pawns his phone, stereo, guitar and other electronic equipment at cash converters for cash.

The morning after I pay him, he is always broke,

he also loves his tropical fish, $1k on an awesome fishtank thats worth $2k, $50 here for some rare fish that he wants to breed thats wroth $300 on the open market

A shitbox in the drive way thats worth a zillion dollars but doesnt have an engine in it

he'll call in sick once a week, always coffing, always sick, often hung over, over too stoned out to come to work,

mother is not much different, often doesnt have enough money for petrol but enough for booze, cigs and drugs. both of them have lost their licenese, and have heaps of unpaid fines

their days consists of waking up, looking for the next hit, worrying if the pawn shop is going to sell their goods, scrounging a few dollars together to go splurge at mcdonalds, and wonder why at the end of the day, they are coughing and spluttering along with a headaches and nausea

BUT what I realised is that they are relatively happy!!! They dont woryr about the future, they dont worry about their health, they dont worry about the next bill coming in the mail, they dont worry about what happens if one of them is struck down with an illness/injury that costs money

I used to feel sorry for them but maybe they are happier then me!!!

I envy the fact that they dont worry about what the are going to do in retirement. if life were only that simple

end/ of my thought of the day

Last edited:
They have what nearly everyone wants - freedom. Good on them for living life on their terms.

Like them, I also want to spend money on my hobbies, and not worry about my health or retirement. Albeit in a different manner :)

Live and let Live,i have one tenant like that but he works earns very good money as a Painter,he only lives week by week day by day and once he gets over 7k in cash he walks in the local front bar and plays the Horses
one bets the lot, he"s happy..

Money is about creating options, not happiness.

One can be happy, independent of their financial circumstances. Those monks sitting in caves in the dark and eating only mush all year are happy as f**k.

Whilst the tradie and his Mum might appear free and happy to us here on SS - with all our burden of work and debt and bills and accounts etc to juggle each day...

I think I'd rather be in my/our collective SS shoes as a life direction, thanks.

I have quite a few tenants like this. Most of them quite lovely people but they just don't seem to have a clue. Lurching from day to day, living in the minute.

I sometimes wonder (and I don't say this to be mean, but as a real question) if they are maybe just slightly below the norm mentally? High enough to be out on their own, hold down a job, do paperwork for centrelink etc, but just a bit short on the rest.

I wish I could not worry sometimes, but I seemed to be a hardwired worry wart.:(

What are SS people worried about?

havent you got a plan?

Risk mitigation etc?

You are investing which shows you are going/to be alright, no?

Those folks appear to be happy but would you be happy with a hangover 4 days a week and the threat of poverty hanging over your head ?

You lot have no worries.

Money is about creating options, not happiness.

One can be happy, independent of their financial circumstances. Those monks sitting in caves in the dark and eating only mush all year are happy as f**k.
You may be right.

But, I think that I would be slightly more happy zooming down Little Buller Spur on a perfect Sept blue sky day and stopping for a hot chocolate at Kofflers and gazing at the Summit every few hours, or smacking my first drive down the first hole at The National Golf Club, than sitting in a cave eating mush. :D

Last edited:
I do wonder what the right mindset is when I drive past a couple happily sitting on their front porch, having a cuppa in the sun - whilst the paint is flaking off their missing weatherboards and the lawn in knee high out the front - yapping to a friend just getting out of a 30yr old bomb of a car.

But - if we were all like that then civilisation would stop. I would rather be where I am and, as I get older, am realising that life is about new experiences (and being warm/dry in winter)

Are these people really happy? I doubt it. I'd suggest they simply don't know any better.

I grew up with lots of people just like this. They claim to be happy, claim they don't want the problems that come with wealth, claim their lives are every bit as good as everyone elses. But when someone else achieves something they are the first to tear it down, and that says something.

what is your end game financial goal - one of the questions we ask during the structured planning process.

The answer almost always is "financial freedom".

half the time there is no qualification as to what that means.

My response invariably is to be careful what you wish for.

Sell everything you have an go on centrelink

There you have financial freedom.

Obviously most get it,and we start carving out what that phrase means to people in their personal way.

ta
rolf

Happiness is subjective (Stating the obvious). I have relatives who have debts to their eye balls, but still goes and buys the most expensive stuff on credit. They seems to be "happy". It could be synthetic happiness. Sometimes they complain that they can't sleep at night thinking of debt. The other thing may be how each person manage the situation as an individual. For me, having 10K on a credit card debt is much more stressful/unhappy than having a 500K mortgage on an IP.

Dan Gilbert has (there may be others too) some interesting things about Happiness.

Are these people really happy? I doubt it. I'd suggest they simply don't know any better.

I grew up with lots of people just like this. They claim to be happy, claim they don't want the problems that come with wealth, claim their lives are every bit as good as everyone elses. But when someone else achieves something they are the first to tear it down, and that says something.

Just because you don't know any better doesn't mean you cant enjoy what you have.

Most if us are here because we're looking long term. It's easy to spend up and enjoy ourselves now but it takes something extra to plan for the time when there won't be the income.

That doesn't seem happy to me
Just high..
high on drugs
on booze
on ignorance!

That's it.

been there done that, (well not quite as hopeless) and I was worried sick the whole time.

Got off that train pretty quickly and onto the plane and now no worries at all.....except for dying.
So, bucket list is front and centre.

All good planning for the future, I know, but there has to be balance as we are not all going to live to the day we have planned for.

My sister died just on the verge of retirement.:(
Reality check.

Now that is a worry.

Back