Life is more than about money

going back to the original post though i do agree life is about a lot more than money but im not sure these people are the best example of it. if they were indeed self sustaining then absolutely do what they like but as it stands it sounds like theyre probably committing tax fraud on top of just living on the dole, assuming TMNT pays them in cash.

they will also likely cost the taxpayers millions of dollars over the years and hardly contribute a cent so there is very little about them to admire.

Did pigs start to fly?

This may be the first time I have agreed with something you wrote.:D

The thread is asking people's opinions on whether a mother and son who do a lot of drugs are happy. Many have given their opinion, as did I. I said that they were not happy. You call that a gross generalisation; I call it an opinion.

'People who do drugs'--by that I meant addicted--'are not happy'. I am sorry but, whether you like it or not, drugs addicts are not happy. Have you spent time around drug addicts? I have and I can tell you that they suffer A LOT. If you call that a 'gross generalisation' so be it.

'The mother was probably neglected as a child' you call a 'gross generalisation'. If the poor mother raised a boy who cannot much contribute to society or work, then she doesn't have the best mothering skills. I would hazard a guess that her role models were not the best. This is not a 'gross generalisation'. All the research points to the fact that generally you model your behaviour on the same-sex parent. If you had a good parent, you have a better idea on how to parent your own children. Sure, there are some kids who do not have great role models and go on to be wonderful parents. But I would bet that this mother did not have parents who nurtured her, who cared about her feelings, who encouraged her, who were emotionally available--perhaps through no fault of their own. Whilst all parents do the best they can, sometimes they just do not have the skills or are so tied up with their own issues that they cannot be there for their children..

'People who self-medicate do it to escape something'. Again, perhaps you should check the statistics. People do not self-medicate for NO reason: they are trying to quell/run from/deal with uncomfortable feelings/stress/trauma/pain.

'They don't call it dope for nothing' you call a 'gross generalisation'. That is my opinion. I have seen too many young men's lives ruined and ultimately wasted by drugs. Spend some time in any psych ward and you will see what I mean.

Great post property_girl.
People who are addicted to food,drugs,alcohol etc are not 'happy' people.
They use these substances as a crutch.

And if these people are on welfare, welfare (us, the taxpayers) are enabling the recipients.

i think we can all agree on that

going back to the original post though i do agree life is about a lot more than money but im not sure these people are the best example of it. if they were indeed self sustaining then absolutely do what they like but as it stands it sounds like theyre probably committing tax fraud on top of just living on the dole, assuming TMNT pays them in cash.

they will also likely cost the taxpayers millions of dollars over the years and hardly contribute a cent so there is very little about them to admire.
I must admit I, I met some of their younger friends and they were worse

Some of them had managed to get the permanent disability pension and would spend all their money on drugs, gambling, cigarettes, and living off government supported rent

I don't know if these guys were happy or not, but it has to be a crap life,

One of them was 17, and had a bleak future, always in trouble with the law ranging from drink driving (yes!), hit and run, leaving the scene of an accident

Felt sorry for them, don't know if I shoukd have

Have you spent time around drug addicts? I have and I can tell you that they suffer A LOT.

Yet you say your no drug expert but you spurt out that you know everything because you've been around EG:Hemp users that have a pre-existing condition before hand :confused:

Fill me in on the drug addicts you've been around and what drugs there on?

Thank you. :)

Yet you say your no drug expert but you spurt out that you know everything because you've been around EG:Hemp users that have a pre-existing condition before hand :confused:

You are right that stoners generally go more mellow and "calm", etc - not a danger to the community, but...

One of my very good friends when I was doing my PGA training (also a colleague) was an unbelievable athlete and fitness nut - as well as an extremely good golfer.

Super-motivated, strong, fit...a real go-getter. Never smoked a cigarette in his life, but liked the odd beer.

We were as thick as thieves; golf, surfing, partying, weights - generally hangin' out together a few times a week.

He got a girlfriend, who was really nice and very beautiful - but was a bit of a stoner.

I stood back and watched as this relationship started and blossomed, but then he took up smoking bongs with her and her friends. I was surprised; given his previous lifestyle.

Within a few months, he was transformed from the dynamo I knew...to constantly lazy/tired/lethargic and not motivated to do much at all.

It was quite amazing..and a bit sad. We drifted apart for a while over it.

Fortunately he eventually snapped out of his funk after about a year, got rid of the girlfriend and became the guy I knew again.

Another guy (much closer to home - family) got onto the hooch as a 20-something) and became very mentally unstable; eventually he and his girlfriend killed themselves together.

Would they have done it without the drug influence? Who knows, but I know that his personality and demeanor definitely declined after taking up the grass.

Loads of folks go bad due to alcohol as well, of course - I'm not supporting alcohol over drugs - but let's not sugar coat the drugs side of it.

Another eg (stronger drugs); my mother's best friend (met her in hospital while giving birth to me, and she was having her son). A loving doting mother and father who lived for their kids (maybe a bit too soft?), terrific family.

Her son got into a heroin life in his teens. Very sad. They had a lot of trouble with him and the Law due to stealing money from wallets and purses, their belongings going missing, him getting sick off and on...and so on. He is still alive, but a ruined life. He is the same age as me.

My opinion is that had he been able to manage his addiction via the free Govt run Clinics I have talked of, he might have stayed out of trouble and kept his life in some sort of decent order. We will never know - don't take drugs.

Happiness is just about expectation and whether or not you are currenty meeting your expectations.

Low expectations, easy to get happy.

Most people on this forum would have high expectations. It can be a double edge sword as at the end of the day you'll probably end up with more, but you've got many days of feeling like life isn't meeting your expectations along the way.

I worked in a psych ward for five years. No, I don't 'spurt'; it's called anecdotal evidence. I have seen too may beautiful, young, strong and intelligent men develop a mental illness after drug use. No, they didn't have a pre-existing condition; they may have had a genetic predisposition which made them more susceptible. But why take the chance?

I agree re:genetic predisposition and someone with a family history of illness such as EG:schizophrenia shouldn't smoke the toke.

Again what drugs were they taking?

Thankyou :)

But, Spades, you don't know you are genetically predisposed until you get the psychosis or schizophrenia. Most of it was from dope. Some had hardly used it and developed mental illness. Some had used it more. None of their parents had schizophrenia or psychosis. I agree: some people can smoke dope and never have a problem. But you never know whether you'll be one of the unlucky ones.

My kids have seen some of their friends and aquaintances become useless after drugs. I saw my daughter's boyfriend (now ex thank God) become addicted to ice. I actually didn't recognise him at one point: he had chewed all the skin off his hands; he had picked sores all over his face; he was so thin that all his veins protruded; and he couldn't sit still or hold a normal conversation. He then ended up in prison for selling it. I just think it's a waste of a good life.

I know I sound like a mother. But I hear all these young men saying that there's nothing wrong with it and that they know people who are fine. But what about the ones that aren't?

Imo,people who don't know they have a mental illness will speed things up via smoking hydro not plain old bush head.Better now than later anyway.

Ice,speed,coke etc is the worst drugs ever and ruins people,mentally and health wise.

Heroin,never met a heroin addict with a mental condition...I still know of 2 guys,1 in his late 50's the other in his early 70's and health wise no probs.Just imagine if they were supplied with clean heroin?After all it's the stuff they cut it with that does most damage.

Back to bush bud,all in moderation and know your limits.People can do as they please.

Bob Marley-Who are you to judge the life i live?

I am not perfect and don't want to be!

Before you start pointing fingers,make sure your hands are clean.

Ps.And just to add,i don't believe in doctors prescribing children Ritalin for ADHD.

Last edited:
Yes, I do agree with you: all in moderation and know your limits. Great if you can do that with drugs. But then what about the kids who have died at these raves with ecstasy? I'm all for medicinal marijuana. I just don't like young kids--when their brains haven't developed--to use it. My dad once grew three tall plants of marijuana. My mother didn't know. He then tried smoking it in the garage secretly. lol. He was in his 50s. My mother nearly had an apoplexy when she found out.

Ah yes that's another one pg,ecstasy,i forgot that one...I'll also add acid,glue sniffing,petrol sniffing etc to the bucket list of dirty drugs.

Happiness is just about expectation and whether or not you are currenty meeting your expectations.

Low expectations, easy to get happy.

Most people on this forum would have high expectations. It can be a double edge sword as at the end of the day you'll probably end up with more, but you've got many days of feeling like life isn't meeting your expectations along the way.

Well said Tim. As far as feeling like life isn't meeting your expectations along the way i suppose its a matter of enjoying the journey and doing everything in life with balance.

I worked in a psych ward for five years. No, I don't 'spurt'; it's called anecdotal evidence. I have seen too may beautiful, young, strong and intelligent men develop a mental illness after drug use. No, they didn't have a pre-existing condition; they may have had a genetic predisposition which made them more susceptible. But why take the chance?
When I worked in the Frankston Hospital ICU (3 years) I also helped out on the "Code Grey" team (unarmed violence by a patient/visitor, etc).

Most of these Codes were in either the ER or the Psyche Ward - almost always due to a drunken or drugged person.

Being in Frankston, there were a disproportionate volume of druggies in there unfortunately.

Occasionally, irate family/friends becoming aggressive towards nurses in particular as well; sometimes out of sheer grief, mostly from being drugged or drunk like their friend/relative who was the patient.

glue sniffing

2mfi53p.jpg

We have 2 rentals paid off as well as our PPOR, and not as much in the bank as we'd like. We both have part time employment and part time lives. We are happy. (be happier if we won lotto :) ) But I remember my Nan in her 80's in a tiny bed-sitter, a subsidised renter. Happy is relative. I'm happy that we have as much as we have because I know how tough it can be when you're old and no the age pension IS NOT enough to live on. You can eke out some sort of existence on it, that's all. Same as this bloke and his mum are doing. We don't need to travel or have the latest car or the latest gadgets. I put in a lot of effort to get those 2 rentals and the PPOR and I'm happy to have achieved at least a modicum of independent income. When you're in your 80's you aren't likely to be able to work much at all and the age pension isn't enough, so yes they may be 'happy' now but once they can no longer work, go back and see then how happy they are.

Back