Lift financial literacy, create wealth

Lift financial literacy, create wealth

from The Sydney Morning Herald,
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National...05/02/24/1109180044477.html?from=moreStories#

Men, young people and low-income households have the lowest financial literacy levels, according to a study that found most Australians rely on trial and error to manage their money.

But improving the knowledge of the most financially illiterate could boost the economy by $6 billion a year and create 16,000 new jobs.

A study by the Commonwealth Bank, Monash University and Eureka Strategic Research has linked poor understanding of money matters to sleeplessness, increased smoking, personal stress and trouble paying bills.

Of the 5000 people surveyed, those with the worst financial literacy scores were more likely to be men (55.6 per cent), in low-income households (44 per cent on less than $50,000), aged 16 to 20 (38.6), students (29.6) or unemployed (7). "Those who most need good financial literacy skills to make the most of the money that they do have are at present the least equipped," said the chief executive of the Commonwealth Bank, David Murray.

The researchers said even a slight improvement in financial knowledge among these groups would increase annual incomes by $3204 and reduce the likelihood of unemployment.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

The Minister for Revenue and Assistant Treasurer, Mal Brough, said the Federal Government's taskforce on the issue was seeking to have money management lessons embedded into English and mathematics classes in schools.

Mr Brough said financial literacy should be taught as a core subject to younger students because by the time a student reached year 11 it could be too late if they were working part-time and signing contracts for mobile phones. While lack of financial literacy was highest among the young, it remained a problem across all age groups.

Mr Brough said people were "bombarded daily with opportunities for finance", such as interest-free, pay-later deals they did not understand. "People are struggling with credit card debt, struggling with mobile phone debts and wondering how they can afford the new car," he said.

It would take a cultural change, but the basic principle was "you can't spend more than you have", he said.

Australia's long stretch without recession or war could be blamed for financial ignorance in the community, Mr Murray said. He denied banking products were becoming too complicated. "As a society we've seen a very long period of no difficulties."

Most people (86 per cent) surveyed said they learnt to manage money by trial and error, with 77 per cent asking family and friends. While most people understood how to minimise credit card interest, many did not know how to control mobile phone bills or how to deal with spiralling debt. Half did not know the cheapest way to obtain a secured loan.

Mr Murray said yesterday that the economy could deal with a rise in interest rates, but the Reserve Bank needed to be cautious. "The important thing is that confidence is not knocked around and house prices behave in a fairly predictable way."

Knowledge Tree

Where people get their financial information from:

Trial and error 86%

Friends, family, colleagues 77%

Media 52%

Banks, credit unions 36%

Brochures 34%

School 31%

Financial advisers, seminars 31%

University, TAFE 20%

Internet 16%

Other 10%

If I may speak for the absent AceyDucey.....

He often says (in better terms than I am) that the fact that so few invest is what makes investing so profitable for those that do.

Gill Bates said:
Knowledge Tree
Where people get their financial information from:
Trial and error 86%
Friends, family, colleagues 77%
Media 52%
Banks, credit unions 36%
Brochures 34%
School 31%
Financial advisers, seminars 31%
University, TAFE 20%
Internet 16%
Other 10%

Thanks for the article. Very interesting. :)

This knowledge tree isn't surprising to me. The trial and error statistic is worrying, I think, but it said that 52% of people get their financial information from the media, and the media always seems to advertise things like "Interest Free. No Repayments Until 2006!", etc...

It's no wonder people are so far in debt — they're surrounded by this reality.

77% of people get information from their relatives. This would seem to indicate that relatives tend to be giving bad advice — it's no wonder, because they are also exposed to the same world that others are, if you follow me. :eek:

University and TAFE at 20% — I just finished university, and through my entire education, right from reception, there was basically no education on money — well, not that I remember anyway...

The suggestion to put financial education into schools, I think is a good idea, that would hopefully benefit not only those to directly benefit from this education early on, but they will be able to apply "better" money practises that may help those for whom it's "too late", i.e. the ageing population...

Just some thoughts... :eek:

The suggestion to put financial education into schools, I think is a good idea, that would hopefully benefit not only those to directly benefit from this education early on, but they will be able to apply "better" money practises that may help those for whom it's "too late", i.e. the ageing population...

As long as they don't get teachers to teach it....perhaps some of the most conservative members ofthe population in my experience.

And as a teacher would say ... sure add to to the curriculum - just point out what we drop in it's place?

Cheers,

Gill Bates said:
Mr Brough said people were "bombarded daily with opportunities for finance", such as interest-free, pay-later deals they did not understand. "People are struggling with credit card debt, struggling with mobile phone debts and wondering how they can afford the new car," he said.

It would take a cultural change, but the basic principle was "you can't spend more than you have", he said.

Great Article Gill

I would endorse teaching financial literacy in schools in addition to on-going education, policy, and controls in place to mitigate the risk of people getting into the situation where people spend more than you have.

I blame the banks. I believe that they make credit more available to consumers than the ability to apply and obtain approval for a Personal Loan. This means consumers are forced into the situation of paying higher interest and not having the ability to finance it relatively cheaply via a Personal loan.

It is probably easier to get 10 credit cards than it is to get a home loan.

What a joke! :rolleyes:

Best Wishes

Corsa

G'day all,

I once heard an AXIOM described as "A solemn affirmation of the obvious". This one HAS to be an axiom.....

Those who most need good financial literacy skills to make the most of the money that they do have are at present the least equipped
Isn't this a bit like saying "Most people who drown are in water" ?????

I might sound flippant - and really don't mean to be. But, do we really need results of Govt. studies, or CEO's of financial institutions, telling us this? Whew!! I wonder if we'd save MORE money by outlawing useless studies that end up stating "the bleedin' obvious" :D

Regards,

Question for everyone,
Will financial literacy as a school subject really improve things?
Currently there is reading, writing, and maths, yet how many people get through 12 years of school and still can not do these basic things!!

Financially my parents were a disaster, "they were my best teachers".

Kind Regards
John

Good question., Brizzy boy, but I reckon you're the exception rather than the rule. Most fathers who were beaten by their fathers, beat their sons. And the same goes for debt handling.

Noting that the survey allowed for multiple answers, I was shocked that 'reading books' except as intrinsic to a formal education course didn't make the list.

That's where nearly all of my knowledge has come from - that and then experience, which is a little different to 'trial and error'.

Great article

I welcome such a survey and widespread publication of the findings, on a topic that is IMO too rarely discussed.

It suggests to me that embryonic steps are underway to address an important matter.

It'd be great if this sort of education was introduced (even if it takes decades to do so).

I'd volunteer to conduct some classes.

The answer to every problem these days seems to be "let's teach the subject at school."

Teachers are now expected to keep children fit, teach 'normal' subjects, teach music, teach drama, ensure the children are exposed to cultural events and have the ability to attend interschool sporting events every other week.

I really think that schools need to simplify and that parents need to start taking responsibility for certain aspects of their childrens lives. Teaching the mechanics of financial literacy will do squat if the kids can't add up and excessive marketing is still aimed at them.

A child's education is the responsiblity of the parents, the parents may use schools as a tool in this education however can't give up the ultimate responsibility.

Interesting, Bear.

I find myself agreeing with your comments except, critically, that teaching financial literacy would "do squat".

Makes me think that improving the quality or efficiency of the education would be the way to go.

I'm open to changing my ideas on this; 'cause it is certainly a subject I don't know much about.

What do you think?

regards,

Bear924 said:
The answer to every problem these days seems to be "let's teach the subject at school."

Teachers are now expected to keep children fit, teach 'normal' subjects, teach music, teach drama, ensure the children are exposed to cultural events and have the ability to attend interschool sporting events every other week.

I really think that schools need to simplify and that parents need to start taking responsibility for certain aspects of their childrens lives. Teaching the mechanics of financial literacy will do squat if the kids can't add up and excessive marketing is still aimed at them.

A child's education is the responsiblity of the parents, the parents may use schools as a tool in this education however can't give up the ultimate responsibility.

G'day Bear

I agree, parents need to take responsibility for their kids education. You can't get up, shunt the kids off to child care, have child care take them to school, child care picks them up and you collect them at 7pm just so you and your partner can enjoy spending some cash on stuff.

Parents need to spend time with kids, when they are awake.

...end of rant

cheers
quoll

Hi all,

My comment above about teaching financial literacy would do squat was poorly explained. Therefore I'll try again:

If the school system continually gets more and more responsibilities that don't comprise the 3rs (reading, writing, arithmetic) then the number of students able to do the 3rs will drop. If a student isn't able to add up numbers to determine if something is a good investment or read the prospectus on an investment then teaching them whether something is a good investment is pointless because they will be unable to obtain the information needed to judge the investment in the first place.

The 3rs are the foundation to learning and it appears to me that the time spent learning them is being eroded by less important matters. An analogy may be : we are trying to build mansion on swampy land without first securing the foundations. The mansion may look good for a little while however once the ground moves the mansion will tumble.

Maybe a bit of a solution to this could be asking for people from the community who have successfully gained financial independence to do an after school class on financial literacy. Gathering by all the help offered on this forum, I'm sure they'd be a few volunteers out there, if they just asked for the help.

Thanks, Bear.

That is clearer. I like the idea of "improving the foundations". Doing a much better job on the 3rs. Analogous to my own investment education - it has paid off many times over. There is great value in improving the basic education.

Which is pretty much what you're saying too.

Maybe the difference is I'm thinking of doing the education in a shorter time (or, more efficiently) and you're wanting to maintain the time available?

thanks & regards,

luckyone said:
Maybe a bit of a solution to this could be asking for people from the community who have successfully gained financial independence to do an after school class on financial literacy.

Ah - curriculum inflation! Make the school day 8 hours instead of 6 hours will allow all these subjects to be fitted in and cure all our social, health and financial woes through teaching it in schools. I don't think it will work somehow!

And they'd have to accredit volunteers before they'd let them speak - so more bureaucracy, no one will volunteer and no one would be wiser! Imagine what the teacher unions would think about non-teachers teaching. Not to mention financial planners and ASIC!

Investing has a few fairly simple concepts that could be taught through mainstream maths. For instance interest calculations and the effect of compounding could be exercises in maths books. Economics or business curriculum could touch on the consequences of failng to invest, and politics could include stuff on the downfall of governments who borrowed too much for shonky projects. English could include deconstructing advertisements that encourage people to spend money they don't have on stuff they don't need. Even get rich quick spruikers ads could be analysed.

All of these have some relevance for investment, and need not require stand-alone subject teaching if they are incorporated into existing subjects.

Basic mathematical concepts (like compound interest and returns on investment), the understanding of things like opportunity cost along with a critical mindset to filter out the shonks and analyse the deals are to me good starting points.

Peter

I think it's just too important to be left to schools. Like reading, writing and arithmetic are also too important just to be left to schools. They'll do their best, usually, but if you want a result, get in and do it yourself.

Supporting, encouraging, teaching and leading your children in both the basics (eg 3 Rs) and in the advanced stuff (eg. finance, integrity, shonk detection etc) is the only way. I hope that by 18 my younger child will know more than two thirds of what I knew by 42. It will then be up to him to see what use he can make of it.

That sounds a reasonable approach.

Education, like health and paying for retirees and many other things, will not have its problems solved by greater government spending. People taking personal responsibility and action have much greater effectiveness.

I agree with Quiggles,
Have to set the example for our kids & friends, " and mans do I preach". As I have mentioned in other posts my daughter Tricia had bought her first IP before her 21st B'day, few months later was crying on my shoulder "Dad what have I done such a large debt and I am finding things real tight."
Explained to her how things will work out once she let things settle a bit, and that the hard yards come first.

It is now 8 months later and she came round on Sunday and I noticed this look in her eye,"Whats up Tricia", "Dad got a question, can I buy another IP?
Did my sums phone my broker, confirmed my figures. "Tricia guess what! Go shopping!"

This is a girl that is not even 22yo yet, Her only hassel is she said that she will be seen as a capitolist, now that is another story!!!

But agree with Quiggles have to set the example

Regards
John

Brizzie boy

Buy Tricia a back copy of the API (feb 2005 edition - newsagent may have a free copy in the back room :) ). Cover story is 'Young guns' and show her that she's got company, who are talked about in a national magazine in tones of respect.

Back