Lifting floor boards to access Wiring - Help please !!

We have a Unit in a company title Block . Just had a leak in one unit ( not ours ) during renovations and it has revealed VIR wiring in the ceiling in the Unit below which needs to be replaced .

The Builder who was doing the reno has quoted $ 5800 to remove and replace around 20 m2 of wooden floor boards and replace them with Yellow tongue flooring , glued and nailed , so the electrician can access the wiring to replace it .

They have also allowed $300 / m2 for any additional flooring that needs to be replaced .

The flooring is going to be under carpet .

Seems excessive as it , BUT , wouldn't it be possible to lift the flooring and then put it back or would that involved higher labour costs .

google reveales the Yellow tongue is particle board which you can buy from bunnings at $42 / for a 3600 * 900 sheet . so allowing $ 260 / M2 for installing a M2 of particle board seems , well ...

Am I missing something here ?

Cliff

the cheaper option is to install new wiring externally to the unit and isolate the ones in the floor without having to remove the floorboards.

What level floor is your unit on. Is there easy access to get materials in and out of the building. Not having easy access will also add to your labour costs.

Why would they not remove the ceiling of the unit below (assuming that the issue lies with the unit below ? )

Unless t&g flooring is removed very carefully the tongues will be damaged making the boards only good for winter warmth.

Sounds like a lot for 20 m2, Cliff.

The old boards won't go back down once they come up - they will be buggered.

I've got a better solution.

I would be cutting into the existing floor where needed to disconnect the old wiring and lay the new stuff.

It's mostly going to be a few long slots that need cutting. A few bigger holes might need to be made, but they can be patched with what comes out.

Then I would put Masonite underlay down over the whole floor and carpet over that.

The Masonite underlay will cost about $300 in total.

Pretty easy job.

Scott

the cheaper option is to install new wiring externally to the unit and isolate the ones in the floor without having to remove the floorboards.

Its a lighting Circuit in the ceiling . So either need to go through the ceiling , or through the floor .

Not our unit but I'm on the board , looking at what seems to be a joke of a quote

The upper unit is being renovated . The stop **** failed when the leak started . Luckily a plumber was in site on another Reno and fixed it before it got worse

We had agreed to replace the stop cocks , as there had been a failure in another unit , but the owner of the unit renovating hadn't done this and is saying they were unaware of the extent of the problem ... All messy .

there is easy access to the upper unit as it is being renovated , but due to this issue , the builder has stopped . The circuit has to be replaced and the builder won't move with the Reno until this is fixed ( fair enough ) . He was asked to quote to lift the boards to the electrician can do the work , but has produced what seems to be a rediculous quote that , to me and another director, is just taking advantage of the situation ....

The flora have to be carpets , hence replacing with partial board .

We are looking at things , but I always value the forums opinion .

Cliff

Back