Light fittings. Easy to change?

Since you guys are so helpful I thought I'd ask another household question.

I currently have (forgive my stupidity) circular fluro type bulbs with a cover over the top for wall lights. Well, a bit of everything really which looks crap but you get the gist.. They look bad to start with but REALLY bad when turned on, 'ugly' lights. I'm looking for a soft, lamp like light on the walls, not unlike downlights but I also want to be energy efficient if anyone has any suggestions?

I want to purchase nice looking ones and replace after re-painting the area.

Are these systems any different than any regular light fitting to replace?

I'm guessing they're just wired pos, neg and ground right?
I know to take precaution by shutting off the mains switch at the switchboard before starting any work.

Are these systems any different than any regular light fitting to replace?
Same.

They are AC - there is no +ve or -neg :eek: But if you mean active & neutral - yes - red & black if old or brown & blue if new + green or yellow&green for earth.

I know to take precaution by shutting off the mains switch at the switchboard before starting any work.
Illegal to do yourself - get a sparkie.

You might also ask how I know the colours ;)

and before you jump to the wrong conclusion, I was a Telsta tech in an earlier life - some 30 years ago when it was the PMG :p

I think someone posted something along the lines some time ago in this site how his mate was rewiring something in the roof and did it the wrong way only 3 wires, but he set it the wrong way,and was trying to get:rolleyes: back to the box while all the wire was melting and burning everything back to the board,once you see the damage that can cause,sort of makes the 200 bucks spent on a" Sparkie" seem like nothing in money terms..imho..
willair..

Back