Living off equity – a Reality Check

There’s been a lot of http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19620discussion recently about retiring to live off equity - this was one thread that got hijacked.

Living off equity is great when it works, but in the proponents words a ‘disaster’ when it doesn’t. The question is how likely is it that it will work.

The main problem is volatility. Volatility is the variance from the norm. Risk is closely correlated to volatility – low risk = low volatility, high risk = high volatility. (See Against the Gods – The Remarkable Story of Risk by Peter Bernstein).

‘Living off equity’ requires drawing down from accumulated equity. This can be in the form an annuity, but can simply be an additional LOC. This drawing down of these funds for personal use is not a deductible expense – you pay tax, then you pay the interest on the borrowing – just like a PPOR.

Living off equity relies on the assets (usually IPs) increasing in value so there is sufficient equity to draw down for personal use. As we all know IPs always go up in value, usually doubling every 10 yrs or so. But this doubling is not consistent – it is volatile. E.G.
- Brisbane had 10 yrs of no growth up until 2000, then doubled over the next 3-4
- The depression in 1930 lasted over 10 yrs – then share prices got back to their previous level
- Up until the 19th century land prices hadn’t increased for 600 years.

But growth always reverts to the mean, so it’s easy to put together spreadsheets using average growth for each & every year. But then take volatility into account -
- The normal property cycle – boom, bust, stagnate over a 7-15 yr period
- Left field events eg tsunami, 9/11, global warming, banana republic, GeorgeW invading another oil rich nation, SARs, oil price – there’s been a left field event every year for the last 20.

So what’s the worst case scenario – is it 30% decline in portfolio value over 3 years followed by 10 years of no growth on average, then after that a badly timed left field event that adds a further couple of years of negative growth. Put together a spreadsheet such as this one and see how much equity & LVR buffer you need to support a worst case scenario.

Moving on from volatility, assuming a worst case scenario –

- Consider what max LVR the bank will allow you to borrow against. Remember you’ve had no job for 10 yrs and have significant interest payments and huge debts. Banks are not known for their understanding of ‘alternative’ investment structures.
- Consider how you would feel for 10+ years watching your LVR go up, equity go down, interest payments increase exponentially. Is this a high SANF ? Would you be wondering every night if property would every return to favour ?
- Credit squeeze – every year you’ll be going to the bank to ask for more cash to spend on non-investment stuff. Will the bank always come to the party – even when you’re 85.

The vast majority of financial advisers would recommend a pension that is consistent, indexed to CPI and guaranteed – ie has low volatility. Probably a risk free govt backed bond (or fund) yielding 5% ish. These are as risk free as you can get, consistent, income & capital guaranteed (but not indexed to CPI). They are immune from the vagaries of the IP/share cycle and left field events, and score well in the SANF stakes. These financial advisors are v. risk averse – they’d be sued if they recommended anything else (they also get a commission from recommending them).

OK, so living off equity is a great plan, but there are some serious potential risks – how can those risks be mitigated ?
- sell an IP if any of the above occur – but IP values are probably low when you need to sell & it’ll probably be LVR’d to the max & you’d be up for CGT & selling costs
- have a v. big buffer to start with – but this defeats the object of retiring early
- draw down only what capital gain has occurred so far – but there's a high probability of running out of capital to draw down for some of the years of retirement

The problem is that once you start down the 'living off equity' strategy and it starts to go a bit wrong (little or no growth after maybe 5yrs) - it's hard to change horses because you're getting close to the limits.

What are the alternatives –
- sell all the IPs & invest in lower risk higher yielding assets
- regard ‘living off equity’ as a last resort if other retirement income fails
- invest partially in lower risk high yielding assets (to provide a guaranteed base pension) and keep some highly geared, high growth IPs to live off equity IF growth occurs
- diversify into other asset classes, so if IP growth fails then other asset classes MAY provide the c/f or growth.
- Ensure IP +ve c/f is enough to provide a base pension (at a low tax rate) & consider any growth to be ‘the cream’ that can be drawn down.

All these alternatives reduce the volatility of the asset base, and consequently are lower risk.

Living off equity is a great way of retiring early and avoiding tax, but there are high risks that aren’t usually highlighted. Even if there is a 1% chance of ANY of the above happening then it is to great a risk for me – I place a high value my SANF for the next 50 years.

Cheers,

KJ

I’m not a financial adviser and don’t make commission from selling financial products and this is not advice – I have retired, but I don’t live off equity.

keithj said:
‘Living off equity’ requires drawing down from accumulated equity. This can be in the form an annuity, but can simply be an additional LOC. This drawing down of these funds for personal use is not a deductible expense – you pay tax, then you pay the interest on the borrowing – just like a PPOR.

We shouldn't pay tax on it since it is not income. It is just a loan.

Regards,
James.

keithj said:
Living off equity is a great way of retiring early and avoiding tax, but there are high risks that aren’t usually highlighted.

Looking back over various threads, I can say with a high degree of comfort that Steve has more than successfully defended the strategy.

But for my own peice of mind, I re-spreadsheeted a "Buy/Hold/Payoff/Live On Rent" approach and its was really quite horrendous.. another 10-12 yrs to reach a point where Rental Income exceeded Interest to the point where I'd live the life I CURRENTLY live on my J.O.B income. And guess what, periods of high interest just BLOW IT OUT OF THE WATER. Especially up around 13-14%, I'm suddenly eating bread and water for dinner.. And I'd be 45 or more when I kicked it off instead of somewhere in my mid to late 30's..

Sure, there's less risky strategies, but we're talking about remote events, incredible periods of zip growth, etc.. Its two sides of the coin, for one strategy high interest can bring it undone, for the other long long periods of zip growth may cause issues..

And Keith, I have absolutely ZIP INTEREST in selling properties to reduce debt, or slogging away for the next 20 years to pay the underlying debt off.. NONE. Its barely worse than busting my arse to establish some pauper-level superannuation fund with a humble indexed pension. Oh god the thought of working for another 10 or more years just fills me with dread.. dragging my sorry butt through the traffic, tolerating fools with a pleasant smile, wondering if the hordes of Software Developers in India are going to take my job next...

This strategy is HERE AND NOW with manageable risks, and even if cataclysmic events do come to pass and I'm struggling, well, big deal, I'm a smart guy with a big mouth and confidence, suggestions that it'll result in bankruptcy or homeless are fanciful and mishchievous.

And in your doomsday scenario of this happening when I'm 85?? Well in FIFTY YEARS time when I've only drawn down modest amounts of Equity over the years and weathered any storms along the way.. I'll be worth buckletloads..

And whilst I have loads of hobbies, not working exposes me to boundless opportunities between now and Doomsday, the volume of money and assets to be acquired is just mind boggling! The opportunity cost of NOT taking an early retirement are incalculable.

great post, Keith

Superb post, Keith.

I plan to live off equity and find your well thought out & expressed comments both sensible and logical.

I'd like to think I'll be OK: the plan is to use only a fraction of what is available. For example, if the portfolio is increasing in value $500,000 p.a., I'd use say $100,000 p.a.

BUT, I haven't analysed it fully. In light of your excellent comments I'll re-consider my plans.

cheers,

keithj said:

Keith, if you cant think of 4-5 ways off the top of your head on how to ensure this new interest is deductible then you need to do some more reading.

keithj said:
Living off equity relies on the assets (usually IPs) increasing in value so there is sufficient equity to draw down for personal use. As we all know IPs always go up in value, usually doubling every 10 yrs or so. But this doubling is not consistent – it is volatile. E.G.
- Brisbane had 10 yrs of no growth up until 2000, then doubled over the next 3-4
- The depression in 1930 lasted over 10 yrs – then share prices got back to their previous level
- Up until the 19th century land prices hadn’t increased for 600 years.

Do your own spreadsheet, if you cant satisfy yourself as to your ability to ride out such a scenario, then don't do it. I'm confident.

keithj said:
But growth always reverts to the mean, so it’s easy to put together spreadsheets using average growth for each & every year. But then take volatility into account -
- The normal property cycle – boom, bust, stagnate over a 7-15 yr period
- Left field events eg tsunami, 9/11, global warming, banana republic, GeorgeW invading another oil rich nation, SARs, oil price – there’s been a left field event every year for the last 20.

All of these events can affect every other property investing styles as well.. think high interest rates, changes in Tax Law, banks calling loans in.. these curve balls aren't of any great unique risk to LOE Retirement (Living off Equity).

keithj said:
So what’s the worst case scenario – is it 30% decline in portfolio value over 3 years followed by 10 years of no growth on average, then after that a badly timed left field event that adds a further couple of years of negative growth. Put together a spreadsheet such as this one and see how much equity & LVR buffer you need to support a worst case scenario.

Well if that happens I'll keep working.. As Steve says.. "Dont spend what you havent earnt"..

keithj said:
Moving on from volatility, assuming a worst case scenario –

- Consider what max LVR the bank will allow you to borrow against. Remember you’ve had no job for 10 yrs and have significant interest payments and huge debts. Banks are not known for their understanding of ‘alternative’ investment structures.
- Credit squeeze – every year you’ll be going to the bank to ask for more cash to spend on non-investment stuff. Will the bank always come to the party – even when you’re 85.

Companies, trusts, etc are ageless.

keithj said:
- sell an IP if any of the above occur – but IP values are probably low when you need to sell & it’ll probably be LVR’d to the max & you’d be up for CGT & selling costs

It MIGHT be LVR'ed to the max.. but if you started with a low enough LVR in the FIRST place and only drew down VERY modest amounts of gain then its unlikely that you're ever going to be at a high LVR.. start with a high enough base so that the comfort factor is there..

keithj said:
- draw down only what capital gain has occurred so far – but there's a high probability of running out of capital to draw down for some of the years of retirement

Not if you draw down MODEST amount.. my intention is to draw down just HALF of an inflationary rate of growth, somewhere around 1 to 1.5% and I'll be starting with a sub 65% LVR.

keithj said:
The problem is that once you start down the 'living off equity' strategy and it starts to go a bit wrong (little or no growth after maybe 5yrs) - it's hard to change horses because you're getting close to the limits.

You wont get close to the limits with an appropriate LVR and a modest draw down of equity.

Hi all,

Keith makes some very salient points.

Duncan, you seem to have dismissed him as another doom and gloomer. Just remember that if you have negative 15% growth one year, then 4 years of 4% growth, over 5 years you have had zip.

You seem "married" to your position and don't consider that any rational person could see the possible risks.

In my experience the chance of the "absurd probability" happening is much greater than most give credit for.

For example,
How many people in the 60's could believe that inflation would be at 20% p.a. within 10 years??
How many people in the mid 70's, when interest rates were at a mind numbing 9% could believe that they would go to 18% within 15 years??
How many people in the late 80's "banana republic" could believe that by 2003 we would have had 10 years of LOW inflation???
How many people in 2005 could believe that within 10 years we have had the greatest...... :D :D :D

A safer approach is the slower approach, if you think it is as simple as starting now and having sufficient equity to live comfortably off it in 10-15 years, then either you have a fabulous income, or your dreamin'.

Anything that sounds like it is the easy road to riches( from investments alone) in a short time frame (10-15) years sounds like a get rich scheme to me.

Agent007, you don't get to deduct the interest on the money used for lifestyle that you borrowed, that is what Keith was getting at.

bye

Bill.L said:
Hi all,
Duncan, you seem to have dismissed him as another doom and gloomer. Just remember that if you have negative 15% growth one year, then 4 years of 4% growth, over 5 years you have had zip.

You seem "married" to your position and don't consider that any rational person could see the possible risks.

Bill, I dont deny the risks, I just say they are overstated, and can be succesfully mitigated, just like any other strategy..

I'm not married to the position, just seek to vigorously defend it as a means of demonstrating to myself that I've mastered the approach, the risk mitigation, the curve balls etc.

Bill.L said:
if you think it is as simple as starting now and having sufficient equity to live comfortably off it in 10-15 years, then either you have a fabulous income, or your dreamin'.

Bill I've been buying property for nearly 10 years. Someone starting NOW and buying property for 10 years would be hard pressed to retire on equity.. I agree.

Hi Duncan,

duncan_m said:
Do your own spreadsheet, if you cant satisfy yourself as to your ability to ride out such a scenario, then don't do it. I'm confident.
I have done my own spreadsheet - I'm about 90% confident I could live on equity if I chose to do so. But I believe it's a higher risk than I can accept. Think of Japan 22 years ago - nobody thought it was possible that in 2005 IP values would be the same as 22 years ago. And they still don't show any sign of a boom!

duncan_m said:
All of these events can affect every other property investing styles as well.. think high interest rates, changes in Tax Law, banks calling loans in.. these curve balls aren't of any great unique risk to LOE Retirement (Living off Equity).
How about -
- Selling all IPs & investing in bonds or LPTs with NO DEBT.
- Selling 50% of your IPs & paying off debt on the rest - cf +ve giving guaranteed base income & possible 'living off equity cream' from CG.

duncan_m said:
It MIGHT be LVR'ed to the max.. but if you started with a low enough LVR in the FIRST place and only drew down VERY modest amounts of gain then its unlikely that you're ever going to be at a high LVR.. start with a high enough base so that the comfort factor is there..

Not if you draw down MODEST amount.. my intention is to draw down just HALF of an inflationary rate of growth, somewhere around 1 to 1.5% and I'll be starting with a sub 65% LVR.

You wont get close to the limits with an appropriate LVR and a modest draw down of equity.
That's part of the point I'm making - if you have a low LVR & a big equity buffer & drew down modest income then you might as well use a lower risk/less volatile way of achieving the same or better income.

EG if I had $1.3M equity - I could sell enough IPs to realise $1M equity - pay $250K CGT & expenses, invest the remaining $750K in low risk LPTs yielding 8% or $60K pa and keep my other IPs for the 'living off equity' cream if the growth happened - best of both worlds:).

I'm not against LOE per se, I just believe that used as a SOLE means of income it's high risk.

I think it's important to think outside the IP square & use the right combination of financial tools for the job.

Cheers,

KJ

duncan_m said:
Bill I've been buying property for nearly 10 years. Someone starting NOW and buying property for 10 years would be hard pressed to retire on equity.. I agree.
Tenyears is a short time in the investment world.

Nature abhors a vacuum but it also abhors a strait line.

I don't have a crystal ball but I can predict with absolute certanty that the past cannot be extrpolated into the future. History doesn't repeat. It rhymes and the bit of history I see rhyming with is that booms are followed by busts.

Count your blessings and profits but read about where we may be going in the future.

Hi all,

Looking for some common ground here, how do we compare the extra risk of LOE compared to having to work longer to obtain "The Safer Approach" (TSA), living off income.

If there is a period of zero growth (say 5 years) you can still increase your net worth by buying fixer uppers, and fixing them. If you did this how many extra would you have to do to be able to retire on the TSA method??.
If one a year it may only take 5 years, don't know but is my preferred method.

bye

P.S. I know you have already done this Duncan. So have I.

keithj said:
EG if I had $1.3M equity - I could sell enough IPs to realise $1M equity - pay $250K CGT & expenses, invest the remaining $750K in low risk LPTs yielding 8% or $60K pa and keep my other IPs for the 'living off equity' cream if the growth happened - best of both worlds:).

Hi Keith,

You make some good points, thanks for persisting with me. :)

Selling pains me.. maybe I'll get over it one day and use your idea of an each way bet.. it certainly has value.

Heres some thoughts ...

Why settle for low capital gains if the economy is a bit slow for a while?

How about:

- renovating = instant equity gains
- developments = instant equity gain
- invest overseas in more bouyant economies

I think there is ALWAYS an answer no matter what the hold-up or objection or mental block is. DONT setlle for limiting beliefs.

All I seem to hear from some people are problems problems problems doom doom doom. I certainly dont intend settling for mediocre returns. I believe and practice ACTIVE investing. EVERY day.

Do I renovate? Not yet. Do I develop? Yes. Do I invest overseas? Not yet (well .. in shares I do).

But I would if things here got too slow or I couldnt find SOME way of forcing my net wealth in a positive direction in the sort of magnitude that makes me feel like i'm doing a good job for my family.

I am always open to new ideas, new makets and opportunities. Why not?

Thoughts?

T.

TomL,

I think the thread is basically about living off equity, mainly when retired.

Not too sure I want to be renovating at eighty. :)

A86

duncan_m said:
Selling pains me.. maybe I'll get over it one day and use your idea of an each way bet.. it certainly has value.
Selling hurts the equation so badly :(

Why sell and give up all the potential future growth on the asset before you know IF a problem will occur? :confused::confused::confused: (And all the costs involved.)

Why wouldn't you rather draw down the net equity
(Up to 80% LVR) and invest these dollars for a return??

If it all went pear shaped
because of the many fears that are being suggested, then (And ONLY then) you can sell the property and you are back to the conservative approach.

Why be predictive? (IE predicting a disaster)
Rather be prepared and react to an event. (IF it actually happens.)

Maybe . . . just maybe the next BOOM is just around the corner and in this case it would have been far better to have held onto your "Hard earned" asset.

My question then is what have you got to lose, by NOT selling now instead of (improbably) later?

Regards,

Steve

Indeed some great gems of info here.

Most of which I already knew or suspected - but put into a much clearer perspective for me to mull over in my head.

I have some serious thinking to do between now and the completion of my current IP.

<KS>

Keith

Thank you for raising some interesting points about the living off equity idea. I was first introduced to this concept around 9 years ago. I think it came about due to the introduction of lines of credit by citi bank around that time.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

In my travels I have come across many successful multi millonares. I always make a point of finding out how they make thier money. This has allowed me to gain an insight on how the millionare minds work.

I have yet to cone across anyone who has followed the live off the equity strategy

Therefore, if this is just a theory and has not been tested in the real world then I would be very careful on relying on this strategy.

My theory on why these ideas have come about is because it is a simple idea that can be peddled to novice investors by seminar presenters (answer for the masses).What you have to realise is that investing is more complex than that and as your knowledge base grows investors will realise that they can diversify out of buy and hold residental property.

Regards

Sailesh

Sailesh Channan said:
My theory on why these ideas have come about is because it is a simple idea that can be peddled to novice investors by seminar presenters (answer for the masses).

Sailesh,

It's hardly simple, in fact its an extremely difficult thing to "sell", I've tried explaining it to a few friends, all they see is the spiraling debt and loans.. it takes a LOT of hard work, a LOT of guidance to enable people to accept this idea has merit.. Having attended one of Steve's seminars I've seen first hand the number of times the idea needs to be repeated.

Seminar presenters who are of the ilk that you're alluding to like punchy one liners that are easily understood in the context of the "$50/Free introductory seminar"

If various presenters were REALLY just trying to peddle an idea to the masses, LOE would be a very poor choice.

Instead of casting nasty aspersions left and right how about you give us the benefit of your obviously vast and varied experience and pull the idea apart. Maybe you could start with a broad overview of your own strategy first and introduction to what YOU'VE done for the last few years rather than vague references to various Rich Dad's you've met.

Last edited:
Steve Navra said:
My question then is what have you got to lose, by NOT selling now instead of (improbably) later?

Regards,

Steve

Steve, Thought the answer to this would be fairly obvious.

At the moment you can still sell for reasonable prices in most places, and very good prices in some places . ( just had two people sign contracts on the first day of an open house in rocky :) ).

If the market does go pear shape, The only people buying will want bargains , and the prices achieved will be considerably below those achieved now , that's if you can find a buyer......

See Change

Back