Living off Equity: how feasible is it?

I’ve been thinking for a while about the income phase of property investment. How can we convert equity from residential property investment into an income stream? Selling some properties to pay off the debt and live on rent provides a low net yield (around 3.5%). That requires $4m of property with no debt to get a $150k income. Another solution is to sell some properties and convert the equity into income assets yielding, say 7%. About 15% of the equity would be lost through CGT though.

Another possibility is living off equity. I thought that possibility was gone after the lending criterias changed since the GFC. But maybe not. According to Michael Yardney’s latest newsletter, it’s possible. The scenario that he describes is as follows

http://propertyupdate.com.au/how-many-properties-do-you-need-to-retire/

If you think about it, it will be much easier to amass a $5million property portfolio with $2.5 million of debt than the same size portfolio with no debt.
You could then go to the bank and explain you’ve got a self-funding portfolio that isn’t reliant on your income and in fact, there’s a little cash left over for serviceability. You would then ask for an extra $100,000 loan, so you’re increasing your LVR slightly.
The good news is that you don’t have to pay tax on this money because it’s not income. But you would have to pay interest, which won’t be tax deductible if you use the money for your living expenses.
This means after the interest payments you’re left with around $93,000 to live off.

Is this realistic?
What is the max LVR the banks would be happy to lend using an LOE strategy?
What would be the interest rate compared to standard residential? 1% above? 2% above?
What are the serviceability requirements? is it enough to have a real positive CF from property portfolio, or would some banks add a 2% interest rate buffer to assess serviceability?
How frequently is loan reviewed? can you do that for 10 years? for as long as you can keep lvr below bank threshold (assuming they don’t change their policy)?
Who are the financiers willing to do this?
Do you have to put all your properties with one lender, or can you spread your portfolio among several lenders?

I’d be keen to hear from people who have actually done this, to get a better idea of what is achievable with LOE under current policies. I'm after a rough idea of what is feasible.

Is this realistic? Yes, but not that easy.
What is the max LVR the banks would be happy to lend using an LOE strategy? 80% I would say.
What would be the interest rate compared to standard residential? 1% above? 2% above? Same
What are the serviceability requirements? is it enough to have a real positive CF from property portfolio, or would some banks add a 2% interest rate buffer to assess serviceability? Same serviceability requirements as any other loan
How frequently is loan reviewed? can you do that for 10 years? for as long as you can keep lvr below bank threshold (assuming they don’t change their policy)? There is no annual reviews of residential loans. As long as you make the repayments they don't care.
Who are the financiers willing to do this? Any of them.
Do you have to put all your properties with one lender, or can you spread your portfolio among several lenders? Best to spread it if possible.

I’ve been thinking for a while about the income phase of property investment. How can we convert equity from residential property investment into an income stream? Selling some properties to pay off the debt and live on rent provides a low net yield (around 3.5%). That requires $4m of property with no debt to get a $150k income. Another solution is to sell some properties and convert the equity into income assets yielding, say 7%. About 15% of the equity would be lost through CGT though.

Another option is to fully leverage the RIPs to 80% each and use the equity as a deposit on a decent CIP that is at least self funding in net terms (net rent >= interest costs). You get a bigger portfolio and if you buy at a good yield you get an increase in income and weight your portfolio to assets with much better yields, without the transaction costs of selling the RIPs.

It's not without its risks of course but they can be mitigated through selecting the right property. To me, these risks are far less than those involved in LOE. I can't just quit work now and expect to take it up again in five years at anywhere near the same pay level if the banks say "no more'.

I’d be keen to hear from people who have actually done this, to get a better idea of what is achievable with LOE under current policies. I'm after a rough idea of what is feasible.

Given this is probably the pre-eminent property / Landlord's forum in Australia, you've obviously come to the right place.

I'm sure if it's feasible, there will be many many successful Landlords here who are right into it and have been employing LOE for many years.

Unfortunately no-one has actually turned up just yet, but I'm sure they are all still there.

Out of the 1000's and 1000's of property investors here, you would think if it was feasible, there would be a whole swag of the senior investors who are LOE.

I'm getting the feeling, in today's banking climate, LOE is not a feasible option, and that's probably why you aren't getting inundated with replies.

Try speaking with a credit officer at a Bank and see what the reaction is when you show him your 5% growth projections and how you wish to sit on yer bum and spend their money......it ain't gonna be pretty.

Hi HK

There are heaps of post on LOE and our Rixter is a self professed expert on the strategy.

Cheers

I dont know where I proclaimed that :confused:

I've been partial LOE for years but not completely as we havent fully attained our financial goals as yet due to slow portfolio growth over recent years.

But we are getting closer. Its just a matter of letting time weave its magic over our compounding CG.

In General terms, To live off equity you need to borrow money, but to borrow money you need an income and if you had an income then you would not need to live off equity.

How about using LOE for a interim period .. eg. Get portfolio neutral/slightly positively geared, draw down enough to live off for 5-10 years and then by the end of this period your rents could have increased enough to live off.

Regards,

Jason

I am on record here saying that it has little going for it. With the general results of property not being capital gains accretive for some time now there is no logical reason to carry property into retirement. You still need to "manage" it, no matter how good your PM.

Others will argue that property is an excellent wealth accumulation vehicle, but I argue that it is NOT a retirement vehicle.

One should not dump on something without an alternative so I will offer the [absurd] assumption of all your investment being in BHP. You get a tax paid 3% dividend. You can present it as collateral to a margin lender and draw down equity as you choose to a minimum of 30% WITHOUT PAPERWORK!

Point is, you get a monthly statement which allows you to pull your horns in if things aren't going well, or buy a new car if they do. I am retired and now reject complications.

I am doing it but I don't need the equity for living so I lend to my younger generation relatives so they can buy properties, to help them out. I have realised some of my equity by having a reasonable amount line of credit (1.5M) where I can spend without having to tell the bank the reasons.
So it it possible but i think the ratio between debt and portfolio value should be 50% or less, to be safe.

Last edited:
There was an article in API about a Perth couple with $6M in assets and $3M in equity who were LOE, more recently they have started buy-reno-sell to add to that, plus turned the PPoR into a B&B to top up the Equity Levels

what you are seeing in this thread is the varied discussions and view points.

This topic/path is as well-trodden as CG vs. CF, CIP vs RIP.

Definitely loads of threads.

AS pointed out by Travelbug

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site:somersoft.com+"LOE"

My key takeout - there are many ways/variations in this game and it really is about finding the right one for you.

You need to be able to be confident in your strategy, understand the risks and make it work.

So it it possible but i think the ratio between debt and portfolio value should be 50% or less, to be safe.

I agree, <50% LVR to provide you SANF..Your total portfolio needs to be well structured across different markets so as to diversify and minimise area over exposure risk.

You need to maximise your exposure to CG so that it outstrips your draw downs to fund lifestyle.

what you are seeing in this thread is the varied discussions and view points.

This topic/path is as well-trodden as CG vs. CF, CIP vs RIP.

Definitely loads of threads.

AS pointed out by Travelbug

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site:somersoft.com+"LOE"

My key takeout - there are many ways/variations in this game and it really is about finding the right one for you.

You need to be able to be confident in your strategy, understand the risks and make it work.

Thanks for that link. I was using the search within somersoft . Didn't realise a google search would work better.

Back