Living off equity (LOE)

That is great Rixter in a perfect world but what it generally amounts to is a Bernard Madoff situation on a far lessor scale of course.
Saying it is one thing, putting it on paper another, you can tell yourself whatever you will but reality is often very different.
When people start to talk about borrowing OPM like it holds no responsibility or is like "free money" it is time to take a break and have a serious rethink.
Just my opinion.

Again everyone has a different situation & personal risk profile.

No right or wrong way..just different ways to choose from that sits best with the individual.

I've actively applied the tools with success. Same as others before me and others after me.

80% mindset & 20% strategy. Whether you think you can or think you can't you're right.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
When I think of OPM I always think of bank money and 110% finance.

Has worked well for me but then again maybe I was just lucky in the eyes of some.

Hi Rixter

Which lending institution will except a CB as means of income and to what LVR will they lend?
Have the parameters changed since you last organized a CB ?

Gerd

Whether you think you can or think you can't you're right.
There it is right there rikster, do you truly believe this saying or do you just think it is a good general belief?.
For someone to truly believe it they would be living in dream world.
There are many times through history where not believing in something actually works out right and believing in yourself only ends in loss, there is the story of the firefighters in 911 who despite the building about to collapse actually continued up the building to save one woman but faced certain death, they were all certain they would die but couldn`t leave her, they were just about the only ones in the building to live as this floor they climbed too was the only floor not crushed due to where it was positioned at the top of the remaining heap once it collapsed, if they had backtracked and left her they most certainly would have died.
Everyone believes in themselves till they fail, then they "question it" or they do not move on.
If you truly believe it why don`t you cure world hunger, Napoleon Hill never did despite his belief in the fact that "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe it can acheive".
He conveyed a story about his friend who was about to be operated on and had very little chance of survival, yet he winked at Hill and said he would come through no problem, Hill added that his friend made a remarkable recovering and pointed to this as yet another example of mind over matter, they are both long gone now.
I guess mind over matter only works to a point?.
Then Hill completely contadicts himself by saying that in order to truly accomplish great things you must make life or death decisions and burn your bridges in order to get to that desire where you must have what you desire or you will die, in other words continue on in the face of sure defeat and your own total disbelief!!!.
The one thing I do agree with is that it takes persistance and with that you can overcome any obstacle in your path but that takes time, sometimes too much time but the gurus don`t like to dwell on that too much as it brings down their whole game.

One's true reality is only what one 'perceives' it to be. What ever that is to them - good or bad.

To some extent I disagree with that statement because I believe there is often such a thing as objective reality or facts. If something's happened, it's happened, no matter how much we wish it wasn't so.

It is permissible to have different thoughts about the reality, provided that what has happened has been acknowledged first. This may change how we react to that situation. The quality of our reaction and the choices we make may make us better or worse off. However the facts themselves remain the same.

A related but more modest and in my view less sweeping version of the above quote is the popular saying 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.

This acknowledges that tastes vary. It gives room for value judgements or preferences and does not assert that one is objectively better than others.

As an example, when outside, person A might wear T-shirts while B prefers singlets.

A might note that B is exposing more of themselves to sunburn, while B might reply that they like the extra breeze they feel.

While one can list pros and cons of each choice (some backed by fact, others to do with looks or feelings) one cannot say one choice is better for every person all the time. Eg the gymnast might disagree with the Nordic albino who burns in 5 minutes.

Both people have their tastes, make their choices and it doesn't matter to others that they exercise them. Neither choice is morally 'better', 'true', 'worse' or 'false' than the other and perceptions about personal preference (I will not use the term 'reality' here) are quite in order.

Let's now turn to matters of fact which are distinct from the tastes exampled above. The following are factual statements that can be proved or disproved.

* The share price of company A fell by 40% in the last year

* The number of households in Australia rose by 1.8% in the last year

* I bought no properties in 2005.

* A debt collector knocked on my door at 9:31pm last night, wanting to foreclose on my house

Whether any of these happened or not can be readily be ascertained by observation.

Whether I think it might or might not have happened has made no difference to the facts themselves. They are not matters of taste or 'in the eyes of the beholder' - type relativism. Yes I might have liked to have bought a property in 2005, but no amount of thinking or 'perception changing' now can change the reality that I didn't.

Then we move from facts into probability.

Probability is fuzzier than yes/no reality but is still important to assess as true investors only buy when things are stacked in their favour.

If I bought an average house now for $300k 6 months ago, it is very unlikely that I'll be able to sell it now for $400k, especially if all the other average houses in the area are still advertised for $300k. That's not to say that $400k isn't achieveable from someone with lots of money who loves the house but the probability is that it will sell for much nearer the median and I wouldn't gain.

No amount of wishing for more or kidding oneself that it's worth $400k is likely to induce a buyer to cough up that amount. That is unless you make a genuine improvements that make it worth the higher amount to buyers who'll pay. In this case you're changing the buyers perception of value, not your own.

In other words, what you think has no effect on an asset price, and no amount of 'The Secret' style of wishing will change this fact.

It is fashionable to use terms like 'mindset' and 'my perception is my reality', especially in motivational stuff. And I agree that one's approach or temperament to investing has a large bearing on success.

But a lot of the motivational guff, in an effort to make it seem 'easy' or 'magical' ignores objective reality or says it doesn't exist. Instead of ignoring or wishing away facts it might be better to acknowledge and think them through. Those that do this would at least then have greater understanding and intellectual rigour to apply to their investments, so that at the very least they can avoid the duds.

I believe there is often such a thing as objective reality or facts. If something's happened, it's happened, no matter how much we wish it wasn't so.

It is permissible to have different thoughts about the reality, provided that what has happened has been acknowledged first. This may change how we react to that situation. The quality of our reaction and the choices we make may make us better or worse off. However the facts themselves remain the same.

Yep that is a given...my point is its ones perception after that.

Without wishing to get into a philosophical debate, my thought is that tools depend on the person wielding them. For me, a cashbond probably isn't right, but for others it may be ideal. This is partly because I haven't learnt the 'tool' yet, and don't really know how to apply it for maximum effect.

That said, knowing the existence of as many tools as possible is extremely useful for investors, as it opens up a wider range of possibilities which can then be considered within the context of an individual's strategy.

Back