LL Insurance Claim?

I would like to know if you think I would be entitled to claim for Landlord insurance regarding the following situation, strata unit in NSW:? The Insurance is with ANZ and the basic details are found here: http://anz.com.au/personal/insurance/home-insurance/anz-landlord-insurance/

The tenant signed a 1 year lease but after 2.5 months gave two weeks notice that she would be moving into a department of housing home. Only 2 weeks notice is required apparently if they move to a department of housing home. I asked the property manager to check on this and to get the required document but they refused saying that it would be not worthwhile as the legal costs to chase her up would be not worth it.

I was living overseas at the time and was expecting to return after 1 year when the lease finished so I would renovate the property. I had to come back as the property needs renovating before leasing again. It will take me about a month and several thousand dollars for this.

The property manager was meant to be looking after my bills but they only paid the water bill, the rates and strata were well overdue. Lucky I came back and got this sorted out.

The PM also never bothered to look for anther tenant or see if the current tenant wanted to extend a bit longer as she told me she wanted more time for her son. So I informed the PM I would cut my trip short and come back and sort out the mess.

So I think that is about it, will I be able to make a claim on LLI?

what loss have u suffered?

firstly does your insurance civer this?
and if so how long was it before you found the new tenant?

what loss have u suffered?

firstly does your insurance civer this?
and if so how long was it before you found the new tenant?

I have lost rental income starting from May 14th and I won't have a tenant for over a month until the place is painted and a new tenant is found, could be longer... I have also had to pay travel expenses to fly back. This will be over $1000...

I'm not sure if my insurance covers this, that is basically why I'm asking here...

I have lost rental income starting from May 14th and I won't have a tenant for over a month until the place is painted and a new tenant is found, could be longer... I have also had to pay travel expenses to fly back. This will be over $1000...

I'm not sure if my insurance covers this, that is basically why I'm asking here...

you would hsve to read your policy.

i doubt younwould be covered, especially if you had not taken steps to get a new tenant straight away. your trip certianly wouldn't be covered.

why does the property need renovating now when it didnt require it 2.5 mths ago?
Could you have still waited 12 months before painting?
It sounds like you made a choice not to re-let the property now, rather than having loss from tenants actions (apart from moving out early).
My feeling is that you will struggle to get LL insurance for this.

Perhaps if you have any interest payments from the RE agent not paying the bills etc...

Your tenant gave the legal notice required, therefore you would not be entitled to landlord insurance.

The vacancy is for renovations, also not covered.

Regarding paying bills, the PM can only pay out of rent received. Once the tenant left you should have checked to see if any payment needed to be made by you as there was no rental income being received.
Marg

why does the property need renovating now when it didnt require it 2.5 mths ago?
Could you have still waited 12 months before painting?
It sounds like you made a choice not to re-let the property now, rather than having loss from tenants actions (apart from moving out early).
My feeling is that you will struggle to get LL insurance for this.

Perhaps if you have any interest payments from the RE agent not paying the bills etc...

As for the PM not paying the bills, yes in fact I specifically asked them to take care of all my bills and she said to not worry she would take care of everything. I get back and only the water was paid.

The tenant was the previous owner, she had been here since I purchased it 2.5 years ago. When the lease was expiring before I was getting ready to travel I asked her if she wanted to stay on and she hesitated a bit but later said to me that she would sign a 1 year lease and I had nothing to worry about. I told her that I would rather renovate the place before I left if she was planning to leave at any stage as we both new the place was needing a paint job at least. But she insisted all was fine and I should get on with my travel. She also was to keep an eye on some of my belongings in the shared basement area so that is another reason I came back as I did not want to leave them unattended... this tenant was supposedly a friend, goes to show never get to know tenants as friends, there is more to this story that I won't bother to go into...

It is obvious to me now the tenant signed the 1 year lease in full knowledge she only had to give 2 weeks notice when she moved out as she contacted both me and the agent that she was giving 2 weeks notice suddenly.. later she requested more time for her son to live there and I would have agreed as I wanted someone paying rent but the PM did not communicate with me and I lost that chance to have the lease extended or at least until I was able t prepare to come back...

I had never known about the housing department 2 week thing, if i had I would have asked her if she was signed up for it.

The PM was pretty much useless, lots of talk but no action, the PM didn't even go to the final inspection but got her colleague to. Now she suddenly left for her vacation the day after I get here....

I have since had time to inspect and analyze the unit and there is a lot of issues including the tenant left all their furniture and junk in the basement. I have now confirmed it is all hers from neighbors, cleaners and old photos. She denied it at first and blamed other tenants but since I told her of the proof she has said she will get back to me... I have taken photos of damage to the carpets, walls and furnishings and things not cleaned. I specifically asked the agent to make sure all this was OK before giving the bond back but they had someone come in and just give it a quick browse and instantly gave the bond back by the looks while she much be laughing all the way to her new housing department home now.

I have since sent photos and details of all this to the agent and told them to get back to me on Monday.

What will I be able to do about this now?

As the tenant was the previous owner, you are going to have difficulty proving that any damage was done after you bought the property. Presumably the furniture etc was in place at the time of purchase, which may have hidden a lot of wear and tear.
Marg

As the tenant was the previous owner, you are going to have difficulty proving that any damage was done after you bought the property. Presumably the furniture etc was in place at the time of purchase, which may have hidden a lot of wear and tear.
Marg

thanks marge for your feedback/

Since I have been in the house for a couple of weeks now I have noticed more things like the tenant smashed the lock of the letterbox before she left so no one can lock it. The strata manager said she would need photos of her doing it which is impossible. They got a handyman to replace it from the admin fund.

The light in a room is broken, electrical - not sure if this is the tenants fault or not.

Lots of little things broken that would not be noticeable on a brief inspection/

would you believe the Property Manager has still not bothered to contact me back since I have come back to Australia despite a number of messages left.

Obviously I would not use this outfit again but I want to stop them paying a full bond to the tenant plus I want answers for their crappy job they done managing the place...

Back