Loan for an Australian Citizen working overseas

Hi all,

I'm currently an Australian citizen (born here) living and working in Sydney. I am considering moving to the USA to work for the medium term (5-10 years), so during that time I'd be looking to return a lot of my money to Australia to invest (capitalising on what I feel will be a depressed AUD over the medium term).

Is it harder to get a loan for an investment property from an Australian bank when working overseas? How do the banks treat living overseas, being employed by a foreign company, and being paid in another currency (I feel that this would be the biggest issue). I'd be keen to work out the likely implications of the move before I commit to it. Thanks

As long as you can show payslips and bank statement showing salary credits then you are fine.

Some lenders do it better than others - i.e. CBA will go to 95% whereas Suncorp don't lend at all, NAB limits the LVR to 80%, etc.

Currency is also good in that its USD - all the lenders that accept foreign income will accept the greenback.

Agree with Shahin - Oz citizen working in the US and earning USD shouldn't be too difficult to source finance for.

Cheers

Jamie

Adding to the above, generally they'll discount your salary income if its in foreign income - to buffer against exchange rate uncertainty. As a guide, deduct 20% of your income and use that as a basis for borrowing power calculations (almost parity!)

You may also need to adjust lender choice. Can also be difficult getting into LMI territory, fewer lender options available (CBA/St George come to mind, Westpac have just stepped out).

Cheers,
Redom

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Good to remember that they will add a buffer for exchange rates. Luckily the USA pays much more than a 20% premium for my profession.

Back