Loan portability

Hi all, wondering how easy or not it is to transfer a home loan to another property. My wife and I currently own our PPOR in my wife's name. Mortgage is roughly $265k, house is worth $500-$550 based on comparables. So let's assume equity of $235k at least.

Reduced income (we've had a baby and my wife is no longer working), I've had a career change and a decrease in salary.

We want to purchase a new PPOR but don't (can't) get a loan for anywhere near the amount we want as I am on a low income and am now supporting my wife and son.

Does anyone know whether we can transfer our current mortgage to purchase a new PPOR? We are with ING. Or, is there any other way we can upgrade using the equity in our current PPOR?

Cheers

You can transfer your existing loan to another property if your existing loan allows for "substitute of security" - i.e. you keep the same mortgage but it's just secured against a new property.

But:

1) Most loans don't allow this, and

2) If you're upgrading, presumably you need to take on more debt, and even loans allowing substitute of security would need you to re-apply if you're wanting to increase debt.

If your lender allows portability, you'll need to settle both properties on the same day (sell existing & buy new). This little piece of logistics often makes it difficult to do a security substitution.

As Perp suggests, you'll also need to have cash for the difference in property value, or you'll need to qualify for the full loan amount.

Back