Locality research - Brisbane

I'm heading to Brisbane for a few days next weekend.

I'll have some spare time for locality research ahead of a possible future purchase.

What areas should I check out? ( and why? )

My shortlist currently includes:

- Redcliffe peninsula and along the new rail link
- Slacks Creek
- Logan City

I'm interested in units or houses sub $400k but may go to up to $500k.

Capital growth is primary aim but with neutral or positive cashflow.

I would at least have a bit of a look closer to the city and see the difference... most want to live closer to the city if possible, and while the properties will be more expensive, they will attract higher rent.

Sounds like everybody is jumping on the band-wagon of what has been discussed recently around here :) Doesn't mean there are not other areas worth considering.

Last edited:
I looked at a townhouse in Holland Park selling "high $300Ks" renting around $400 to $430. Two bed, two bath units Coorparoo, Holland Park for under $400K interest me more than anything further out.

I looked at a townhouse in Holland Park selling "high $300Ks" renting around $400 to $430. Two bed, two bath units Coorparoo, Holland Park for under $400K interest me more than anything further out.

I usually agree with Wylie, we hunt in the same circles. So, +1.

I would recommend Runcorn due to its proximity and value for money. Cheers

Agree x2.
I think Runcorn will take off the ripple effect from the nearby Asian suburbs eg. Sunnybank, Sunnybank hills and Eight miles plain which have been rising rapidly in the past 12 months

Agree x2.
I think Runcorn will take off the ripple effect from the nearby Asian suburbs eg. Sunnybank, Sunnybank hills and Eight miles plain which have been rising rapidly in the past 12 months

I lived in that area for a long time and this is how it works in the asian community (which are the primary drivers of these suburbs):

1) Sunnybank is always #1. Robertson, Macgregor and Stretton are sideways steps and may choose them for different reasons.

2) When the market goes too high, Sunnybank Hills and Eight Mile Plains are the next rung down on the ladder. Parts of Calamvale are also equal but sideways steps.

3) When priced out of SBH and EMP, Runcorn is next. However, Runcorn is gradually becoming too expensive - the really good parts of Runcorn are already going into the low to medium 600's (around the EMP part, along Warrigal Rd) - this was unimaginable even 12 months ago. But you can still snag a bargain here, whereas you'll get mauled in SBH at the moment.

4) I am starting to notice a lot more activity in Algester from people being pushed out of Runcorn. I am seeing houses sell in the 500 region which, like Runcorn, was unimaginable 12 months ago.

#4 is a new trend. During the last boom, Runcorn was still considered the bottom of the ladder for asians. You rarely saw any asians in Algester but I predict after this boom the demographics are going to change a lot there.

Long story short, yes I agree that Runcorn is always pulled up by its surrounding suburbs:)

What areas should I check out? ( and why? )

Check out suburbs in or adjacent to the satellite cbd's around metro area of Brisbane.

Because they have good infrastructure with main arterial roads in/out the area, public transport hubs, major shopping precincts, high employment, good educational, medical & recreational facilities..

All the things people want to be located close by to and/or within easy commute.

This creates demand which puts upwards pressure on prices and CG.

I hope this provides some food for thought.

I lived in that area for a long time and this is how it works in the asian community (which are the primary drivers of these suburbs):

1) Sunnybank is always #1. Robertson, Macgregor and Stretton are sideways steps and may choose them for different reasons.

2) When the market goes too high, Sunnybank Hills and Eight Mile Plains are the next rung down on the ladder. Parts of Calamvale are also equal but sideways steps.

3) When priced out of SBH and EMP, Runcorn is next. However, Runcorn is gradually becoming too expensive - good parts of Runcorn are already going into the low to medium 600's (around the EMP part, along Warrigal Rd) - this was unimaginable even 12 months ago.

4) I am starting to notice a lot more activity in Algester from people being pushed out of Runcorn. I am seeing houses sell in the 500 region which, like Runcorn, was unimaginable 12 months ago.

#4 is a new trend. During the last boom, Runcorn was still considered the bottom of the ladder for asians. You rarely saw any asians in Algester but I predict after this boom the demographics are going to change a lot there.

Long story short, yes I agree that Runcorn is always pulled up by its surrounding suburbs:)

Algester prices are cray cray

Algester prices are cray cray

Personally I don't get it. I've seen a few sell for mid-500's. Why. I'd rather buy something slightly worse in Runcorn for that price. It has a train station, really good busses via Warrigal / Gowan Rd, proximity to EMP and Sunnybank, and...shops. Algester is a wasteland of nothingness when it comes to shops / restaurants.

I'm not saying Algester is bad, I'm just saying the numbers don't stack up as well as Runcorn.

Personally I don't get it. I've seen a few sell for mid-500's. Why. I'd rather buy something slightly worse in Runcorn for that price. It has a train station, really good busses via Warrigal / Gowan Rd, proximity to EMP and Sunnybank, and...shops. Algester is a wasteland of nothingness when it comes to shops / restaurants.

I'm not saying Algester is bad, I'm just saying the numbers don't stack up as well as Runcorn.

It is a good family ares which is well serviced by arterial roads close by - Logan Mwy, Gateway, Beudesert Rd and Compton Road5

IGA size of woolies is 2 mins away
Woolies Calamvale on Nottingham Road it 5 mins away
Calamvale Shoppping Centre on Compton Rd is 5 mins away
Sunnybank Hills shopping Centre is 5 mins away
Has Post Office

Browns Plains is 10 mins away if that

It has good schools

Well serviced by Public Transport - 4 bus' to the city take 35 - 40 mins in peak hour

Has your standard Suburban Restauarants nothing really fancy

There is an aquatic Centre being build in Parkinson.

Parkinson has large industrial estate next to brows plains

It has gone up as it was quite cheap compared with new suburbs such as parkinson and calamvale.

Now it is quite exxy

A few years ago prolly coulda bought two 2 bedroom single story homes for the price of one 5 bedroom double story home in Parkinson.

Lots of reno and sell potential though.

One of my target areas

It is a good family ares which is well serviced by arterial roads close by - Logan Mwy, Gateway, Beudesert Rd and Compton Road5

IGA size of woolies is 2 mins away
Woolies Calamvale on Nottingham Road it 5 mins away
Calamvale Shoppping Centre on Compton Rd is 5 mins away
Sunnybank Hills shopping Centre is 5 mins away
Has Post Office

Browns Plains is 10 mins away if that

It has good schools

Well serviced by Public Transport - 4 bus' to the city take 35 - 40 mins in peak hour

Has your standard Suburban Restauarants nothing really fancy

There is an aquatic Centre being build in Parkinson.

Parkinson has large industrial estate next to brows plains

It has gone up as it was quite cheap compared with new suburbs such as parkinson and calamvale.

Now it is quite exxy

A few years ago prolly coulda bought two 2 bedroom single story homes for the price of one 5 bedroom double story home in Parkinson.

Lots of reno and sell potential though.

One of my target areas

Some of my IP shopping grounds. Have IP there that has done very well and is poised in readiness for the next round of CG.

Rixter

Do you have an IP in Calamvale?

I notice there is a 4.5 star hotel opening in the Area this month on Compton Road. This will be very good for the area. The only one in the near vicinity.

The 5 bedroom double story homes in Parkinson are now hitting $800 000 +.

Townhouses in small complexes in Algester might be good.

Rixter

Do you have an IP in Calamvale?

I notice there is a 4.5 star hotel opening in the Area this month on Compton Road. This will be very good for the area. The only one in the near vicinity.

The 5 bedroom double story homes in Parkinson are now hitting $800 000 +.

Townhouses in small complexes in Algester might be good.

I have one. It has had great CG but honestly I wouldn't buy there again unless it was in that small pocket near Sunnybank Hills Shoppingtown.

That hotel though, it's so weird. Who opens a huge high rise hotel in the suburbs. I don't get it. It's good, but it doesn't make any sense to me but hey I won't complain, as you said it's going to have a massive impact on the area when it's done:):)

Rixter

Do you have an IP in Calamvale?.

Yes that is one suburb. Its more than doubled in CG & yield since purchasing there.

Also quiet a few others scattered around south side and bay side.

If you're looking for long term CG areas, then as per my MACRO purchasing criteria listed post #9 above.

If you're looking for short term CG, I looked for the following 4 flag sectors injecting money. -

Government, Commercial, Retail, Private

We discovered this ultimately uplifted & beautified the area resulting in people's attraction thus moving in and creating demand.

We have found this to work very well if you are looking for short to medium term capital growth so as to leverage against and build your portfolio faster.

Typically these are some of the signs we looked for where sectors were injecting money -

A/ Local/State/Federal Government. ie Major arterial roads, Govt Depts locating to area, Street Scrapping, New Public Transport, Recreational facilities, Hospitals/Medical facilities, Suburb Redevelopment Authorities being formed. etc

B/ Big Multi National Retail & Commercial type companies. ie Major Shopping Centres, McDonalds Hungry Jacks, KFC, Bunnings, Harvey Normans, Good Guys, etc. These companies spend $Millions on market research before going into and setting up shop in an area. If there was no current or immediate future demand for their products and services they would not be moving in, so leverage off the back of their research.

Sources for information as part of your due diligence - You can check out all the federal/state/local government planning & development websites at this one convenient link http://www.oultwood.com/public/country.php?country=australia&scrwidth=1440 .

Other sources I use to gather info are from all the various big multi-national company websites, local newspapers, community news, local businesses, and people in the area.....general networking etc.

C/ Private People/Investors. ie Owner occupiers and Investors bowling over old houses then rebuilding new modern homes and redeveloping town houses / villas.

Get out and about. Jump in your car and drive around the area. Better still is once you're in your prospective area hit the streets by foot. You will see so much more on foot than by driving.

I hope this helps.

I find Runcorn an interesting place demographically. With the mosque at Kuraby and the Islamic school near Calamvale there has been a rapid increase in people moving from interstate and overseas into the surrounding areas. I grew up in Sydney watching the demographics change and Im seeing similar trends in these areas. I don't know if it will end up like Sydney and Melbourne where there are invisible yet defined divides though. Interesting times ahead for Runcorn though. Coles Pinelands is essentially an Asian grocery store while Underwood marketplace has a halal butcher. The two ends of Beenleigh rd will have to meet in the middle somewhere.

Coles Pinelands is essentially an Asian grocery store

I'm also noticing the shopping centre along Warrigal Rd (where the old Bi-Lo used to be) is slowly becoming the Korean hub. It's full of Korean restaurants and a Korean supermarket. I can see that part of Eight Mile Plains / Runcorn becoming like the Strathfield of Brisbane. This is actually the main reason why I started taking Runcorn more seriously.

UPDATE: Hum this is interesting, I just did some research and my hunch was correct! Here are the top 7 suburbs for Koreans as of 2013 (data might be old but can't be too far off):

Runcorn (4.2%)
Stretton (2.4%)
Macgregor (2.3%)
Calamvale (2.2%)
Sunnybank Hills (2.2%)
Robertson (2.0%)
Sunnybank (1.7%)

Last edited:
I find Runcorn an interesting place demographically. With the mosque at Kuraby and the Islamic school near Calamvale there has been a rapid increase in people moving from interstate and overseas into the surrounding areas. I grew up in Sydney watching the demographics change and Im seeing similar trends in these areas. I don't know if it will end up like Sydney and Melbourne where there are invisible yet defined divides though. Interesting times ahead for Runcorn though. Coles Pinelands is essentially an Asian grocery store while Underwood marketplace has a halal butcher. The two ends of Beenleigh rd will have to meet in the middle somewhere.

It is for this exact reason my friend wants to sell. Her new neighbours and many other locals don't interact at all, she walks her dog every day and instead of the old friendly "hello" she used to get, she notices more and more that there is less interaction like this.

She says she feels like she has moved to a foreign land. She is not being racist, works with different nationalities, but to have neighbours who won't meet your eye is bothering here a lot. She feels like an outsider.

It is for this exact reason my friend wants to sell. Her new neighbours and many other locals don't interact at all, she walks her dog every day and instead of the old friendly "hello" she used to get, she notices more and more that there is less interaction like this.

She says she feels like she has moved to a foreign land. She is not being racist, works with different nationalities, but to have neighbours who won't meet your eye is bothering here a lot. She feels like an outsider.

I think this was almost inevitable even as early as 15 years ago. Runcorn has probably got the highest percentage / concentration of townhouses that I'm aware of anywhere on the south side and being in such close proximity to Sunnybank and Griffith Uni it basically meant it was only a matter of time before it was crawling with international students who would then choose to settle there after they were done with their studies.

Back