Locality research - Brisbane

I'm also noticing the shopping centre along Warrigal Rd (where the old Bi-Lo used to be) is slowly becoming the Korean hub. It's full of Korean restaurants and a Korean supermarket. I can see that part of Eight Mile Plains / Runcorn becoming like the Strathfield of Brisbane. This is actually the main reason why I started taking Runcorn more seriously.

UPDATE: Hum this is interesting, I just did some research and my hunch was correct! Here are the top 7 suburbs for Koreans as of 2013 (data might be old but can't be too far off):

Runcorn (4.2%)
Stretton (2.4%)
Macgregor (2.3%)
Calamvale (2.2%)
Sunnybank Hills (2.2%)
Robertson (2.0%)
Sunnybank (1.7%)

You cant go wrong on the EMP side. The other side has seen dramatic demographic changes in the last 8 years and it's not from Asians. This is where I would tread carefully knowing what has happened to values interstate.

I think this was almost inevitable even as early as 15 years ago. Runcorn has probably got the highest percentage / concentration of townhouses that I'm aware of anywhere on the south side

From a Macro perspective Runcorn was on my radar back in 2003. Once on the ground I conducted my Micro DD on that suburb and few others my Macro pin pointed.

I vividly remember inspecting a Runcorn Townhouse. Whilst walking through the complex common area I asked the REA how many units were in this complex? To which he replied 750! :eek:..

He went on to tell me the complex was built over 4 estates which took up a few blocks around the neighborhood.

I said thanks alot, see ya!

And never ventured into that suburb ever again. :)

You cant go wrong on the EMP side. The other side has seen dramatic demographic changes in the last 8 years and it's not from Asians. This is where I would tread carefully knowing what has happened to values interstate.

I really like the pockets directly across the road from EMP. The 3-4-5 streets south, I think are great. Anything further south I'm not interested in.

From a Macro perspective Runcorn was on my radar back in 2003. Once on the ground I conducted my Micro DD on that suburb and few others my Macro pin pointed.

I vividly remember inspecting a Runcorn Townhouse. Whilst walking through the complex common area I asked the REA how many units were in this complex? To which he replied 750! :eek:..

He went on to tell me the complex was built over 4 estates which took up a few blocks around the neighborhood.

I said thanks alot, see ya!

And never ventured into that suburb ever again. :)

I'd buy a house in Runcorn, but never a townhouse. As you said there are an epic amount of them. For townhouses I'd go to areas that are highly desirable but have very few of them - like Macgregor, Sunnybank, parts of Sunnybank Hills.

It is for this exact reason my friend wants to sell. Her new neighbours and many other locals don't interact at all, she walks her dog every day and instead of the old friendly "hello" she used to get, she notices more and more that there is less interaction like this.

She says she feels like she has moved to a foreign land. She is not being racist, works with different nationalities, but to have neighbours who won't meet your eye is bothering here a lot. She feels like an outsider.

Just curious, is this the Kuraby end? It's not just Runcorn either. The bordering Logan suburbs are changing demographics as well. Been a bit of council controversy about it. It use to take a generation for these things to occur. I think the quickness of it will catch a few investors out. As I said interesting times ahead.

Just curious, is this the Kuraby end? It's not just Runcorn either. The bordering Logan suburbs are changing demographics as well. Been a bit of council controversy about it. It use to take a generation for these things to occur. I think the quickness of it will catch a few investors out. As I said interesting times ahead.

What are the changing demographics in these areas exactly? I haven't lived there for about a decade so I've kind of lost touch. I just remember driving past Runcorn / EMP a few years ago and thinking holy crap it's little Korea!

Hi

If I was buying in Brisbane, I would possibly firstly eliminate the flood-prone areas (streets etc) within 10-12 km of the CBD, and then proceed to check out the remainder areas which are close to transport/ schools/ shops etc.

A check on the previous price growth can assist in that I would avoid areas which have experienced great growth in the past 12-18 months. I would also avoid OTP developments.

I just bought in Oxley (the flood-free part) - 3 bedroom t/h, and cost $315k.
The same price paid by the previous owner in 2007.

Was it a good buy? - ask me again in 2 years time.

Good luck.

Tony

I'd buy a house in Runcorn, but never a townhouse. As you said there are an epic amount of them. For townhouses I'd go to areas that are highly desirable but have very few of them - like Macgregor, Sunnybank, parts of Sunnybank Hills.

Yep as my CGA investment strategy dictates townhouses and villa's, a house doesnt meet my purchasing criteria.

Sunnybank Hills is another suburb I have IP in.

Hi there,

Whats everyones thoughts on Rochedale South ? Is this considered apart of the Logan region? There seems to be a few decent house on decent blocks for around 420k.

Cheers

Hi there,

Whats everyones thoughts on Rochedale South ? Is this considered apart of the Logan region? There seems to be a few decent house on decent blocks for around 420k.

Cheers

What are you looking for them to do for you? How does your DD stack up in relation to them providing it for you?

Lots of discussion!

I will have a day to look around Saturday. Any suggestions on a general order to drive through a number of suburbs that are good for investment.

What are you looking for them to do for you? How does your DD stack up in relation to them providing it for you?

Hi Rick,

just long term growth, seems to be a low vacancy rate (1%) and 4% yields(not that great) in that area and being close to the M3 id consider a plus. Also the blocks are decent but I'm unsure of any potential zoning changes. But its just a suggestion as I've only been around Brisbane once and am still getting a feel. Just feel Brisbane still has some room to grow considering how melb and sydney are. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

cheers

I'm heading to Brisbane for a few days next weekend.

I'll have some spare time for locality research ahead of a possible future purchase.

What areas should I check out? ( and why? )

My shortlist currently includes:

- Redcliffe peninsula and along the new rail link
- Slacks Creek
- Logan City

I'm interested in units or houses sub $400k but may go to up to $500k.

Capital growth is primary aim but with neutral or positive cashflow.

Why would you buy into Redcliffe with 500k?
With that kind of money you can buy into BCC zone look at - acacia ridge, and zillmere plenty of LMR sites under 500k Sunny bank hills and algester as mentioned before. Of if you want to go Logan council Rochedale South. Much better CG prospects IMO

Back