Location Location in WA

We live in Perth and are interested in purchasing an apartment in either South Perth or Rivervale.

South Perth has location but the price to match. Direct views to the city if you can afford them but most are now one street back from the river at least when they come up. Cafe and river access but few river frontage spots left within our price range.

Riverton is new to apartments, less infrastructure in and around the river but has panaramic views to the city and the hills still available for under a million.

How much value do you place on a view or river access? What is the walk to the cafe really worth?

Please share your thoughts or opinions, we need your help :)

I don't think you can put a $ value on a view or proximity to amenities... it's a personal thing, some people value it highly, some people trade it off for a backyard and a 4x2 house.
Either way, it's a luxury in my opinion, and if you want both views and walking distance to all the good stuff, then you're looking at top dollar.
I think Rivervale has more potential for growth, considering the changes going on there at the moment. (http://www.landcorp.com.au/portal/page?_pageid=953,1&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL)

AMEN! ^^^^

rivervale will be a "turnaround" suburb, like anything west of marmion ave or with river views.

when the market finds a solid bottom, they will be the suburbs to see most growth.

Some units in Rivervale are coming back on the market for under 1m. 3x2 units, views up and down the river. Units in Sth Perth go for over a mill with no guarentee of a view. Our limit is about a mill, give or take a bit. We are looking to move across from our PPoR (keep it if we can, use the rent to suppliment our repayments). Lose the the lawns and general maintenance and have something to lock up and leave when we retire.

Decisions decisions :D

Does anyone think the arrival of the train station (whenever that is) and the surrounding development will give SP another kick up ? I have looked at the plans on the SP website and it seems they are going to build a bit of a hub around it

i think most people would firstly be surprised to hear of the train station... news to me. may check out the south perth city website.

whilst great for south perth you have to wonder what this will lead to for mandurah residents? by the time they add the spur line to amarillo, stations at singleton, lakelands and others, what will the commute time blow out to?

whilst great for south perth you have to wonder what this will lead to for mandurah residents? by the time they add the spur line to amarillo, stations at singleton, lakelands and others, what will the commute time blow out to?

Yeah, annoying, but it was always going to blow out. The in-fill stations were always part of the plan.

I'm sure there will be express trains from Mandurah or Rockingham that stop in only a few or no stations on the way to Perth.

I would think the commute fro Mandurah will be about 1:10 by train once finished (about 50-55mins now), about the same as driving but without having to drive...

On a side note - anyone noticed how ugly the Mandurah station is? Looks like the cheapest construction possible.

As for costs, a 7-zone ticket to Mandurah costs $7.90 (or $6.72 or $5.93 on a smart rider - depending on how you pay). Not a huge saving (if any) over the cost of petrol, but a massive saving considering the cost of wear and tear on your vehicle and parking in the city. Still, at $60 to $80 per week just for train fares, wouldnt you be better of buying or renting closer to Perth rather than living in Mandurah?

TB

Last edited:
I would love to buy in Vic Park but its more than I want to spend. I dont want to over-extend myself. For my first ip I think I need to buy a regional property.

Have a look at Midland.

Yeah Midland is one of the suburbs I have been thinking about investing in. Have read about this suburb online and in the papers. Midland, Tuart Hill and Vic Park also.

I think Midland could be a good option. Its an undervalued suburb and there is supposed to be good growth around the corner with future redevelopment. The median for units is high $290's, and houses low $400's.

It is a more desirable area than places like Armadale and Medina that I was thinking about as well.

I can only afford a unit. That will have to do. According to the latest Residex Report Midland has an average cg of 13% growth over the last ten years which is only 1% behind Midland houses.

A good place to buy would be in and around the Midland Gate shopping centre which is the centre of town isnt it?

Just having a look now on re.com.au and I have come across a character home for sale for $269K. This might cost more though in yearly maintenance and upkeep. Or do you think it'd be worthwhile to buy if structurally sound (seeing its an older style home on a 300 sqm block.) It could be. Wander why it is so cheap though?? *scratches head*

Just having a look now on re.com.au and I have come across a character home for sale for $269K. This might cost more though in yearly maintenance and upkeep. Or do you think it'd be worthwhile to buy if structurally sound (seeing its an older style home on a 300 sqm block.) It could be. Wander why it is so cheap though?? *scratches head*

re.com ad

Buy one or buy both of these 1905 circa semi detached terrace style homes, which are situated in short walking distance to the newly revamped Midland Gate Shopping Complex. One of the homes has been totally renovated with new kitchen and ***

The other one next to it hasnt been renovated.

This is on a busier road - Morrison Road.

Do you think it'd be better to buy in a quiter side street?

Back