LOE here we come

Well, we took the opportunity to sit down together, and for the last 3 hours the wife and I have gone through our entire financial situation and structure, with a view to seeing if we can do this LOE.....and mores the point feel confident, no matter which way the wind blows, we'll be OK.

We had all the data at our fingertips, managed to squeeze the portfolio (with everything to do with cashflows, costs, incomes, values and debts) onto an A3 page, and we got a few blank pieces of paper, a calculator and our trusty pencil and started doing some projections.

More importantly, the wife did the calculations for a change to involve her more and get a feeling for the magnitude of things. For some reason the looming private school fees are a mental blocker for her, and up until now was unable to mentally scale these imposts.

Also, I wanted to make sure the wife selected the basic assumptions for the calculations, being conservative on both sides of the equation.....that is pumping up the costs to be 1.4x what we'd normally spend and keeping the appreciation rate on the assets down to only 7% p.a. I thought this was conservative given our performance over the last 3 or 4 years.....but who can tell for the future.

So, we finally put down our position and came to the realisation that we need an appreciation rate of 0.25% on our assets to meet our inflated living costs. Even my ultra conservative wife agreed that we would be OK....no matter what.

Our LVR at the moment is 59%. We projected the scenarios forward of me working for the next 15 years, or leaving work and doing what we want to do. Working for 15 years brought the LVR down to 20%. Leaving work and living off equity brought it down to 22%.

Hmmm, working 5 days a week for 15 years doing what someone else dictates whenever they say jump....just so that the LVR can be 2 points lower.....hmmmm...I don't think so.

I'm on a fairly decent wicket, but it's got the point where my salary is totally irrelevant. Owning assets really is more lucrative and more efficient than working. My contract runs out later this year, so it will feel good to inform the boss that I do not wish to extend the contract term.

I'm looking forward to splitting my time evenly between being a full time Dad (getting to go to all of the school events without asking permission from the boss for the odd special day) and doing some industrial property developing on the blocks we already own.

Anyway, I never thought it would come this quickly. It's been 13 years since we signed our very first real estate deal. This compounding curve thingy really does work.

Next cab off the rank I suppose for us is to have a wee chat with the Bank to see if they agree, after all, we'll be sponging off their money. :)

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to splitting my time evenly between being a full time Dad (getting to go to all of the school events without asking permission from the boss for the odd special day)
Well done Dazzling,your timing is perfect no one can put a price on watching your daughters special days at school and being there as they become young Ladies..good luck willair..

Also there is the idea that you might just find another and perhaps even better way to make money in the 15 free years you have, write a book, become a property talker for fees at all the events.

Projecting 15 years into the future would have a much greater than 2% fudge factor in the equations as well, I can't even predict what's going to happen the next day in my job.

Well done and keep on posting here! :)

i feel like standing and applauding well done,

Dont know if you've done it already but can you document your acquisition and investment history.

Well done and go for it. If you care to share your calculations, sanitised as you see fit, that would be cool. Some here might like to try out their own figures. Not me yet, but it could help a little dreaming :rolleyes:

Cheers Joanna and Willy and Alex and Tracey.

I'm pretty excited having gone through the numbers. hard to see what can stop the steamroller from moving ahead.

Also there is the idea that you might just find another and perhaps even better way to make money in the 15 free years you have, write a book, become a property talker for fees at all the events.

Hey !!! Now ya talkin'. The book has finally commenced (contents page is done) and I've already had 2 family members offer to proof read it.

Hope to have it out on the shelves for Xmas this year.

What can one say, except "Cheers" !

enjoy the fruits of your labour - this working smarter not hard thing does work !

Congrats Dazzling

do you mind sharing some more numbers with us ie gross property assets, gross yield, age, properties in city/regional etc. I know this might be personal to you if so that's fine ; however, more specific numbers will help me and others hopefully compare how far behind we are to a potential LOE scenario? Also, how much equity per annum $ are you considering living on?

As I said, if its personal totally understand.

Congrats Dazzling....well done mate. I bet its a satisfying feeling you have right now.

LOE , you've seen the light. ;)

Put me down for an autographed book.

Last edited:
Cheers Joanna and Willy and Alex and Tracey.

I'm pretty excited having gone through the numbers. hard to see what can stop the steamroller from moving ahead.

Hey !!! Now ya talkin'. The book has finally commenced (contents page is done) and I've already had 2 family members offer to proof read it.

Hope to have it out on the shelves for Xmas this year.

Congrats on both fronts;)

Another possibility is to set up your own private commercial property trust (as in unlisted fund with new properties) which people can subscribe to.

I recon they'd make a nice little earner and would be no different then what you have been doing apart from having to do the odd distribution mail out. This way you can really get out among the big boys:cool:

Look forward to reading the book

Last edited:
Good to hear of someone reaching the goal that we are all here for!

Well done, and hope to join you sooner than later.

Thanks fellow forum members for your kind words of encouragement.

In terms of more details, there's no point learning our exact details, as they have no bearing on what your assets can do for you.....so there's no point posting any of that stuff. I've detailed quite a bit regarding our latest acquisition and what needs to be done to get a deal over the line.

What may be of some use, is the attached spreadsheet, as it is the setup we use to go to the Bank with. It was developed cos I got annoyed with having to answer the standard 47 questions that Bankers always ask you when applying for a loan. I simply emailed them this one page and told them to get on with the job of the loan.....as they had everything they needed on the one page.

General feedback I received was absolutely nothing at all from Bankers....it gave them everything they needed.....so I guess it does it's job.

I've left one example on the sheet to give you a feel for how to fill it in and what the formulae are......just copy and paste the columns over and populate the thing for your own personal circumstance.

Anyway, we found it useful over the years, I hope you do as well.

Attachments

• Total Financial analysis of our assets 03.02.08.xls
    23.5 KB · Views: 762
Back