Logan: Getting a bit too hot?

Crazy storms!

Same here tpepper! I just got unconditional approval today for a house in Kingston. Then I saw the news about the flash floods and hail storm in Brisbane! Some of those hails are fist size!

Saying that, the Logan area has in the most part been less affected (I believe).

Beanie Girl...can you confirm? :)

I mean no disrespect to the poor people whose homes have been destroyed, but the overnight storms is a timely reminder of the floods etc does their qld weather scare anyone else or is it just me?

we are in the cooling off period of a townhouse cheapie and our building inspection is for monday so I guess that is good so we can see if any damage has been done

this photo is pretty crazy (ps this building is not in logan....)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...0127338170739.322801.579080738&type=1&theater

Imo Logan prices have already moved 10%+ since early 2013 and that is conservative for certain areas. Woodridge, Kingston probably moved the most considering their very low median price base of around $200k in early 2013. Sales are definitely not in "hot" mode right now though, some properties have been on market for a while, maybe due to end of year or vendors just expecting too much. I am seeing properties in Woodridge asking mid to high $300k especially if they have a dual key / dual occ setup, really bridging the price gap to nicer surburbs east of the motorway. But in saying that, imo Logan city still has a lot of potential.

Same here tpepper! I just got unconditional approval today for a house in Kingston. Then I saw the news about the flash floods and hail storm in Brisbane! Some of those hails are fist size!

Saying that, the Logan area has in the most part been less affected (I believe).

Beanie Girl...can you confirm? :)

Hey Ashalim, as far as I can tell, Logan is fine. Storm rolled over and that was that. Lights went out in Marsden library for a while. No calls from the PMs to report any damage to the properties. Sorry for the people in Brisbane and SEQ that were affected, especially the Somersofters like our own Tim86, Hoffy, Wylie and others who reported damage to cars and/or properties. Hope insurance covers all in full.

For what it's worth, we have had fierce hailstorms in Melbourne. Most recent in Melbourne was Sept 2014, but mostly in the South-Eastern suburbs. I didn't experience that one but I did experience a hailstorm in Melbourne in Summer on Christmas Day 2011. It was truly White Christmas for Melbourne in 2011.

Hey Ashalim, as far as I can tell, Logan is fine. Storm rolled over and that was that. Lights went out in Marsden library for a while. No calls from the PMs to report any damage to the properties. Sorry for the people in Brisbane and SEQ that were affected, especially the Somersofters like our own Tim86, Hoffy, Wylie and others who reported damage to cars and/or properties. Hope insurance covers all in full.

For what it's worth, we have had fierce hailstorms in Melbourne. Most recent in Melbourne was Sept 2014, but mostly in the South-Eastern suburbs. I didn't experience that one but I did experience a hailstorm in Melbourne in Summer on Christmas Day 2011. It was truly White Christmas for Melbourne in 2011.

Had some bite-sized hail in Loganlea. Was just coming out of the hospital and seeing the storm cell sneaking by to the west and thinking we were okay, but then out of nowhere the hail struck. Not big enough to damage the car though fortunately. Sympathies to folks in South Brisbane though, some of those places need some serious work.

Had some bite-sized hail in Loganlea. Was just coming out of the hospital and seeing the storm cell sneaking by to the west and thinking we were okay, but then out of nowhere the hail struck. Not big enough to damage the car though fortunately. Sympathies to folks in South Brisbane though, some of those places need some serious work.

personally I hope my properties have been damaged....insurance will pay for brand new of whatevers broken :D

Imo Logan prices have already moved 10%+ since early 2013 and that is conservative for certain areas. Woodridge, Kingston probably moved the most considering their very low median price base of around $200k in early 2013. Sales are definitely not in "hot" mode right now though, some properties have been on market for a while, maybe due to end of year or vendors just expecting too much. I am seeing properties in Woodridge asking mid to high $300k especially if they have a dual key / dual occ setup, really bridging the price gap to nicer surburbs east of the motorway. But in saying that, imo Logan city still has a lot of potential.

I googled Woodridge, interesting first few photos that come up under images on the page

images

images

Anyone got any opinions on Browns Plains? Rental yield is quite nice and compared to the suburb next door of Drewvale it's priced about $150 k lower

Drewvale and Browns Plains are totally different demographic and housing types. I don't follow these suburbs at all but I think people who can't afford Parkinson would most likely buy at Drewvale instead. People who would live at Woodridge and surrounds would most likely buy/live at Browns Plains. Browns Plains may even be a step-up from Woodridge, so if it is cheaper than those prices I would consider you would get some growth.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/logan-lobbies-to-remove-riot-picture-from-google-search-for-city-20140826-108psu.html

This made me laugh a little on the inside. Logan's a lot nicer than it was in the 70's and 80's, but still has a long way to go. I wonder if they'll go after the Logan Memes facebook page next. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with lobbying to have the images removed. Its a very positive step from the local government, shows they are actually making an effort to improve the image of Logan, and not just sitting there collecting taxes.

Really don't know what the fuss is about Logan, look back at Redfern and Cronulla in Sydney, the riots there were way worse. And from what i see on tv, i think i would rather walk down the streets of Woodridge than the Gold Coast. :rolleyes:

Congrats on your first purchase and welcome to the forums.

My advice for your next purchase, wherever it may be, would be to not use a buyers agent as the property with the numbers you purchased is the norm in Logan and you can pretty much pick up something like that by paying asking price on standard realestate.com.au listings
Disagree. You neither know the place purchased nor the person's situation, so this advice is a bit presumptuous. Perhaps instead ask for more details.

Thanks Newbieatlife for your response. The buyers agent reduced the asking price by 15K's. I know it is not a big difference, and usually sellers put additional 5% to negotiate. but I live in NSW, and it was hard for me to do this job myself for the first time. I considered that money as a cost of investment. she arranged the whole thing from looking for the property until securing the rent. I reviewed everything she has done, and she has done it to lowest cost.
Good for you, it's wise to recognize your limitations.

I was in Taylors Lakes for the 2011 one, it was amazing. I have pictures of snooker-ball sized hailstones, we were glad the animals were inside and that the parents-out-law had a tin roof. All the tiled roofs were smashed.

We also got personally lucky with this one; we had traded in our car to a dealer for $2500 to collect our new one, and ended up getting $6500 in insurance. Also wrote off the wife's car, only got $3500 for that, but made us become a one car family because it just worked :)

Nothing wrong with lobbying to have the images removed. Its a very positive step from the local government, shows they are actually making an effort to improve the image of Logan, and not just sitting there collecting taxes.

Really don't know what the fuss is about Logan, look back at Redfern and Cronulla in Sydney, the riots there were way worse. And from what i see on tv, i think i would rather walk down the streets of Woodridge than the Gold Coast. :rolleyes:

Fair point, I'm a bit jaded by Logan City Council given all that they've inflicted upon their constituents (which I am glad not to be anymore).

As for feeling safe walking down the streets in Woodridge/Logan, it depends on the street and in some cases the colour of your skin. The Logan "riots" was just a continuation of the tensions between Aboriginals and Pacific Islanders, so not really something that affects most Loganites.

Having had sinkers, and light bulbs (stolen from a nearby townhouse complex) thrown at my car, having kids run in front of my car driving home at night for a rise, overhearing and witnessing domestic disputes bad enough to call the cops, numerous break-in attempts, and having someone showing up at my front door with a tyre iron demanding retribution for god knows what... I'd take the Gold Coast any day.

Legal height?

I've been noticing a fair bit of activity and talk over the logan draft plan and the prospects for dual living. I'm interested in buying an IP to take advantage of this policy. After a bit of searching, I sort of identified a few potential houses. I'd appreciate your views on their location and typical rent prospects.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-kingston-117867183

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-woodridge-115416259

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-kingston-117780291

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-logan+central-117536783

I've been noticing a fair bit of activity and talk over the logan draft plan and the prospects for dual living. I'm interested in buying an IP to take advantage of this policy. After a bit of searching, I sort of identified a few potential houses. I'd appreciate your views on their location and typical rent prospects.

Really comes down to your strategy, personal circumstance and risk profile, even more so being 2000kms away like i am. I looked at a few of these properties a few months ago because the rental yield sounded so good and i learnt a lot from Beanie Girl along the way :) Even went under contract on one but won't talk about that here. Something you have to consider is you are paying inflated prices due to the good rental yield but valuation is always tricky. When it comes time to sell you can only sell a 6 bedroom house for example (with 3 bedroom upstairs and 3 rooms downstairs) as a 3 bedroom house if they are not legal height underneath. So make sure the advertising agent hasn't tried to mislead. Also make sure the property has council approval for everything done, i found many didn't and you don't want to inherit an unapproved structure etc that will cost you money to get approval or remove.

In saying that if you can find one for a good price (crucial) that is well above legal height downstairs, then spend some serious money to build in underneath with bedrooms, kitchen and bathroom, then that may be worthwhile. So do your numbers and due diligence :)

If you look through Beanie Girls threads you will find her talking about which area is slightly better in Woodridge and that is north of Smith Rd. Kingston i don't know but use google maps to check out the street and look up council website for overlays. Kingston also has bigger block so if you want to build a granny flat etc make sure you have enough land.

Alternatively you can look at nicer suburbs with more owner occupiers on the East of the Motorway, like Daisy Hill, Springwood, Rochedale South. You won't get the yield, but the capital growth potential should be greater due to owner occupier demand.

Last edited:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-kingston-117867183

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-woodridge-115416259

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-kingston-117780291

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-logan+central-117536783

Hey there, Goanna. Dbz made some very good points.

I think a few of the houses you listed above are having offers put on them as we speak. If you're quick, you might be able to sneak in an offer. Legal height houses are rare and get snapped up pretty quick. I think it is popular with owner occupiers as well. They can stay in the downstairs legal height part and rent out the upstairs to reduce the mortgage, or get a second income. Cheers.

Fair point, I'm a bit jaded by Logan City Council given all that they've inflicted upon their constituents (which I am glad not to be anymore).

As for feeling safe walking down the streets in Woodridge/Logan, it depends on the street and in some cases the colour of your skin. The Logan "riots" was just a continuation of the tensions between Aboriginals and Pacific Islanders, so not really something that affects most Loganites.

Having had sinkers, and light bulbs (stolen from a nearby townhouse complex) thrown at my car, having kids run in front of my car driving home at night for a rise, overhearing and witnessing domestic disputes bad enough to call the cops, numerous break-in attempts, and having someone showing up at my front door with a tyre iron demanding retribution for god knows what... I'd take the Gold Coast any day.

Hey Arny. What Loganburb are you referring to. What you have mentioned can happen in much higher value/upmarket suburbs in any city - action may be more sophisticated as in keying but you may have just pissed off the wrong Rsole tenant who is not consistent with the majority. Most neighbours to my IP in a similar lower demographic area are great, but the agents in the area are living in the past and still rent to some Rsoles that bring trouble to the entire street - 1 person can affect 100!

I am considering buying in some of the better Logan burbs.

What I meant was - are you referring to Woodridge or other burbs in the area. Having a look at the Qld police incident sites would put anyone off living anywhere ......lucky to find a 1 square km without incident in last 12 months.

Redfern - 3km to Sydney - one of the most expensive city's in the world
Cronulla - beautiful geographical suburb/ town

Logan area - not really that close to Brisbane for their standards , no real redeeming geographical features

Not saying it's a bad investment just questioning the relevance of your comparisons

What I meant was - are you referring to Woodridge or other burbs in the area. Having a look at the Qld police incident sites would put anyone off living anywhere ......lucky to find a 1 square km without incident in last 12 months.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Spent many years around Woodridge, Kingston, and Slacks Creek. Everyone's experience is subjective and I'm only talking from personal experience so might not be representative of everyone.

I've spent more than a few weeks in Riverstone in NSW over the years visiting family, and I'd say Woodridge/Kingston probably has similar narrative in that they're a lot better than they used to be 20-30 years ago, but still have more than their fair share of undesirable folk you wouldn't want for neighbours.

Redfern - 3km to Sydney - one of the most expensive city's in the world
Cronulla - beautiful geographical suburb/ town

Logan area - not really that close to Brisbane for their standards , no real redeeming geographical features

Not saying it's a bad investment just questioning the relevance of your comparisons

I don't think Dbz_Vic was comparing suburb to suburb. Only the 'ugly duckling' concept.

Back