Logan suburbs - the other part, south of the Logan Motorway

Hi

I am after feedback/opinions on the burbs south of the Logan Motorway - not Logan Central, Woodridge, Kingston etc, but the newer areas generally built in 1980's/1990's onwards. Basically Hillcrest to Eaglyby.

I have driven around all areas to some extent.

These areas generally fit my criteria due to price, low maintenance lowset brick, and are of the age where some could benefit from an upgrade as run down or original. I am not looking for granny flat/subdivision/redevelopment potential - rezoning.

Originally looking at the Browns Plains and surrounding areas (Hillcrest, Boronia Heights, Regents Park and Browns Plains) These do not have rail access in the immediate vicinity but have good access to motorways east, west and north. Grand Plaza (shopping center) is ground zero as far as demand for living close by. There are so many other main retail outlets nearby there is hardly a need to travel out of the area to buy anything. Those who cannot afford Sunnybank Hills are buying in Browns Plains. This makes most of Browns Plains desirable due to location, although the bottom of this group of suburbs as a desirable place to live - and the most public housing.

Looking a little further afield you have Marsden and Crestmead. I originally screwed my nose up at these but on a revisit some parts of Marsden appear OK (there are some bloody depressing areas too) and the newer parts of Crestmead (full brick, or the better brick/hardiplank) are not so bad.

Loganlea - seems to be at the bottom of most peoples/agents preference, although an agent told me there is potential rezoning in the pipeline.

Waterford/Waterford West - new and old, but stats indicate these suburbs have twice the selling time of most others???

Bethania - who/what?? Yaaawwnn! But I believe the construction of Bunnings and a few other business on the south side may give some stimulation.

Edens Landing - apparently inside the arc of Castle Cres is the place to be within the burb - you are either in or out. Hilly, but has character.

Both the above do have a train station which is seen as an advantage. although to my way of thinking are also in no mans land - wedged between the river and main road (Logan River Rd) and you need to head east to Loganlea to access Logan Motorway or west to Beenleigh to access M1. They are also closer to Gold Coast than the Browns Plains/surrounding burbs, although those are only a few minutes up the road on the motorway with all having good access.

Beenleigh - the local hub which I see as an alternative to the Browns Plains/Grand Plaza hub, undergoing city centre revitalization. Anything in between needs to travel to one or the other, although Beenleigh has less retail outlets with most a little up the M1 towards Springwood - which is equally close/closer to Brown Plains. Beenleigh has train station.

Eagleby - the northwest or northern areas are the most modern and desirable (other than townhouses near the cemetery), although not as close to M1/Beenleigh. I see Eagleby on the wrong side of the motorway, although easy access to Beenleigh/Brissy/Gold Coast.

Returns: the cheaper burbs such as Eagleby get a much better return, not uncommon. But what about CG???

What are your thoughts - the Browns Plains and surrounding burbs, Beenleigh (with its revitalization) or the suburbs in between which have rail access but in no mans land as far as motorway access.

CG is more important than RR, with neutral RR (or close to) being acceptable.

Once again, my target is properties which can be bought for under $300k and requiring renovation/modernization and low maintenance brick.

I know some have bought in Eagleby for the better return, I am interested in peoples thought on all the areas mentioned above. Calling agents and trying to find one which is on the same wavelength is hit and miss, with most calls being a waste of time.

Personally I would stick nice and close to the m1

I also like loganholme a lot, being selective there are some nice pockets and easy access to both the m1, loganway and hyperdome. I also think it will follow very quickly in the price median of Daisy Hill, and Tanah Merah. It also doesn't have the stigma of Slacks creek, Eagleby Beenleigh etc

Personal preference of course

I also like loganholme a lot, being selective there are some nice pockets and easy access to both the m1, loganway and hyperdome. I also think it will follow very quickly in the price median of Daisy Hill, and Tanah Merah. It also doesn't have the stigma of Slacks creek, Eagleby Beenleigh etc

True, but Browns Plains area is only 10 minutes up the motorway from Loganholme and is the same time to the city or northside up the Gateway. For this reason I have my reservations about the suburbs in no-mans land such as between Loganlea and Beenleigh where you have to travel east or west plus the time to get out of the suburb if not close to Logan River rd. It takes me 45 min to Redcliffe from either Browns Plains or Loganholme outside of peakhour snarl.

My thoughts also.

I don't know the area, have never been there. Originally dismissed as being a bit beyond my price range, but looking on RE.com the median price is around that of some of the better burbs I was considering. I suppose there might be opportunity for something run down/original where I could add value, not sure about the age of the area. I like 1970s - 90's for this potential. And brick, I'm a bit over non brick, especially older highsets ;)

I also notice many houses seem to be on smaller blocks. I know a lot of people are used to this but I cringe at the thought of tightly packed houses with driveway width streets ....I think of slums. Give me space any day!

As I don't know the area, can someone give me a rundown taking the above factors into account. This may eliminate it from contention, for me anyway.

Just checked the medians of properties between Sunnybank Hills and Hillcrest. Looks like Brown Plains is $310k median and everything else ranges between $620k and 430k in suburbs along there.

Any reasons as to why?

Just checked the medians of properties between Sunnybank Hills and Hillcrest. Looks like Brown Plains is $310k median and everything else ranges between $620k and 430k in suburbs along there.

Any reasons as to why?

'Browns Plains' people live there.

I think of it as an upper class Woodridge. It does have a stigma. I had a hairdresser that moved there from NZ and had rented with her family for many years and she loved living there. I had a friend that lived in the next suburb to Browns Plains who had moved over from Western Sydney and she thought it was really tame in comparison.

Any reasons as to why?

Because Sunnybank Hills is in the BCC area not Logan.Its is the next option after Sunnybank or Parkinson for the large Chinese population in the area and is closer to the Beenleigh train line and a greater number of shopping centres and other facilities. Its only a short drive to Garden city shopping centre.Although they appear close on a map they have different demographics

Back