Long drive on deep property

Advice is sought about a drive. The property is about 20 X 50 metre, with the house relatively close to the front boundary. The back yard is hence quite big. Subdivision is not possible for various reasons. The previous owner did not have a car, and there is no drive beyond a short gravel section at the front. The garage is at the rear of the property and is big - 70 square metre. The land between the end of the existing drive and the garage is lawn, which is rather a nice expanse of green.

There are a number of views on what should be done about the drive. One suggestion is to build a carport at the front next to the property - later. Permits will take too long for now. The other suggestion is a drive to the garage, as this will stop the lawn turning into mud and ruts. The proposal is for a drive of pavers through which lawn can grow, set in a gentle curve to keep the open expanse of lawn to some extent. The drive would be bordered by low plants to stop tenants driving onto the lawn. It has been suggested that there be a turning bay near the garage, as reversing for 40 metre does not appeal very much.

Your views would be valued.

Convert the 70m2 garage into a granny flat?

Put carport at front of property but on the other side

install driveway to new granny flat with turning space and fence off between the two dwellings.

Moyjos, thanks. A granny flat conversion is certainly possible, but this will have to wait. The reno expenditure to make the house habitable is significant, and funds are unavailable for anything else at present. The front of the property has established trees which cannot be moved or cut down to make room for a carport.

Given that, what are your views on a drive to the garage?

If a granny flat is possible, I would design with this in mind.

Run a driveway up to the current garage, with design provision for a turning area. I would do a plan on paper for the granny flat and a double carport nearby that can be divided into two singles, one for the Gf and one for the house

As this is a rental, I would go with just a concrete strip driveway with some planting up the side as you said to prevent the driving all over the lawn.

Back