Long term returns from shares

Would anyone have a link to charts showing the long term returns from shares -(Australian and overseas markets if possible?)

I went to the ASX site but the link the page showing the chart of long term returns from the Australian market wasn't not working.

If found this at the Vanguard site - but if anyone has anything going over a longer time frame that would be very helpful!

http://www.vanguard.com.au/personal...entre/indexing/en/interactive-index-chart.cfm
Thanks in advance,

Regards Jason.

Jason, not sure if this is what you are after.

Cheers, Tracey

Attachments

• all ord.jpg
    all ord.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 88
Would anyone have a link to charts showing the long term returns from shares -(Australian and overseas markets if possible?)

I went to the ASX site but the link the page showing the chart of long term returns from the Australian market wasn't not working.

If found this at the Vanguard site - but if anyone has anything going over a longer time frame that would be very helpful!

http://www.vanguard.com.au/personal...entre/indexing/en/interactive-index-chart.cfm
Thanks in advance,

Regards Jason.
It seems to be working now,another way would be to track each company
over 5-10-15 years that would give you a better idea, some of the
"Bank" sites have some very good free data on performance over long periods.
willair..

Depends on what you're comparing it to?

But the better chart to use is the ASX Accumulation Index. What that includes is dividends as well - gives you a better idea of the total return.

The other thing about the ASX200 or XJO is it's a bit self fulfilling. The index is reweighted every couple of months and removes stocks that have performed poorly and adds stocks that have performed well. The criteria to be in various indices are things like market cap, free float, liquidity, etc.

long term returns from shares

I'm always amazed at the folks who managed to jump onto the CBA initial offering back in 1991 at a price of $ 5.40 per share.

In the last 18 years, their asset has grown to $ 50.00 per share.

Along the way, whilst holding, it has flung off $ 25.59 in dividends and nearly $ 11.00 in imputation credits.

I don't think there would be too many property investors who could say that they managed to buy a house back in 1991, and in the last 18 years, they have ;

1. Seen their house value go up over 9 times
2. Collected 5 times in rent alone what they purchased the house for
3. Received a tax credit of 2 times the value of what they paid for the house

Alot of grey nomads travelling the country free as a bird right now are doing so because of the above stats. The $ 1.15 per share they just received on Thursday will keep them going for probably another 6 months until the next lot of gold gets dumped on them.

Sure as hell beats wondering if Sally is going to pay the rent, cos she just split up with Billy, and Reggy just up and left without paying for 4 weeks, the HWS is stuffed and the toilet is blocked and when are you going to fix it ??

Sure as hell beats wondering if Sally is going to pay the rent, cos she just split up with Billy, and Reggy just up and left without paying for 4 weeks, the HWS is stuffed and the toilet is blocked and when are you going to fix it ??

Thanks Dazz,

That's it, you've convinced me, I'm buying shares. Next question for you, what is going to perform as well as CBA over the next 20 yrs?? That's all I need to know, then I'm joining those grey nomads! :D

Regards Jason.

Back