Looking for a commercial viable "crop" on 4 acres

Hi All,

I live on 6 acres of very fertile soil and have a very good water supply all year round.

I'm looking for a "crop" that i could make some extra cash.

Some ideas are:

Chrismas trees
Olives
Lavender
Vegetables (just a summer one and a winter one)

Yes, then I need to find the right market place to sell these.

Any ideas?

GG

pot? Joking.

I have a mango tree in my backyard covered in mangoes at the moment and i was thinking wouldn't it be great to have a couple hundred or so of these.

Might be too cold where you are and i suppose they would take a few years to get to maturity.

Proteas, Lavendar, Waratahs, Flannel Flowers ?

The chap nextdoor on 10 acres proteas, waratahs etc.......sells at markets and wholesale.

But lavender, i believe my land is perfect, its on a good slope for great drainage :) But what then, use it for the cut flowers or the oil. Have to find a place to extract the oil, it wouldn't be viable to buy the machinery. Hmmmmm.......

GG

Last edited:
Cherries
Quandongs (not the best in very fertile soil or high rainfall though)
Something you can dry, package and onsell? Apricots or figs
Any sort of nuts - again, you can pack them yourself. Walnuts?
or any vaguely exotic fruit not usually sold in the area. persimmons?

Avocado trees.

100 Per acre, 4 acres, 400 Trees, 300 Avocados per tree, 120,000 Avocadoes @ $1.00 each = $120,000 PA

Just an idea. :D

Cheers

Mick

Rent it out to a market gardener. Any other use involves capital which you are unlikely to make back without a significant investment of your time, which is most likely best spent in your exisiting proffession.

Failing that, find a joint venture hippie, and get them to bring in woofers to do the work and sell at the farmers markets.

raspberries are a high value crop, although I like evand's suggestion :D ginseng has about the same value per hectare as "grass" so I'm told but hard to grow. and takes 7 years for a return.
Roses too can be good.

Kinda depends how much time you want to put in and what sort of return you are after.

Sadly mangoes seem to be a waste of time we have an acre of them here and I can't see us doing more than about 5k per annum out of them. Lychees are better but I think you are too far south?

Is this because of the New Moon movie? :)

Must be. I was reading a trashy magazine that had a list of the top 20 sexy vampires of all time the other day. Anyone who isn't a fan of those movies would be covered in garlic.

Rasperries is a good idea - they do well in cooler climates and they are tough as old boots. You'd have to be careful they don't get away from you. And you could always make jam.

Whatever you plant, are you on a highway so you can put up a big sign "FRESH FOOD 4 SALE" and hook the passing tourists? See heaps of those on the Clare Valley tourist run out this way, there must be something in it.

geraniums for cosmetic oil - in higher demand and hence higher $ than lavender.

what about milking goats and making your own boutique cheese?

otherwise i'd go the "lease it out" option.

Must be. I was reading a trashy magazine that had a list of the top 20 sexy vampires of all time the other day. Anyone who isn't a fan of those movies would be covered in garlic.

Rasperries is a good idea - they do well in cooler climates and they are tough as old boots. You'd have to be careful they don't get away from you. And you could always make jam.

Whatever you plant, are you on a highway so you can put up a big sign "FRESH FOOD 4 SALE" and hook the passing tourists? See heaps of those on the Clare Valley tourist run out this way, there must be something in it.

We have the perfect property to have a "stall" out front, lots of traffic and a dirt service road just for out property.

Picture attached. House on the left, main road on the left.

GG

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 120
Avocado trees.

100 Per acre, 4 acres, 400 Trees, 300 Avocados per tree, 120,000 Avocadoes @ $1.00 each = $120,000 PA

Just an idea. :D

Cheers

Mick

I second the Avocado's. We have a tree that bears at least 300 fruit over a 4 month period.

Your environment sounds fine, and they don't require much work apart from picking the fruit.

You can advertise 'pick your own for $25 per (small) bucket' and do regular trips to the market.

Back