Looking For A Positive JV Experience

I have recently been involved with Mark Rolton's Property Options - DVDs and friendly chatting with his team - and was told by a seemingly helpful friend to check out the forums to find out what it's really all about.

I have since had my dreams shattered with all the negativity shrouding property developers like Rolton and Crutchfield. From my limited experience there seems to be a lot of "why pay the money when you can do it yourself" - however, I suffer from a sever lack of two things: self-motivation and financial support.

To me, Rolton's team sounds like it offers me both of these things.

So why all the negativity?

With no experience, skills, motivation or financial support, do you really think you'll succeed no matter how much 'help' you get?

I have recently been involved with Mark Rolton's Property Options - DVDs and friendly chatting with his team - and was told by a seemingly helpful friend to check out the forums to find out what it's really all about.

I have since had my dreams shattered with all the negativity shrouding property developers like Rolton and Crutchfield. From my limited experience there seems to be a lot of "why pay the money when you can do it yourself" - however, I suffer from a sever lack of two things: self-motivation and financial support.

To me, Rolton's team sounds like it offers me both of these things.

So why all the negativity?
I think the term is dream stealers, Though dream shatterers has more zing. Somersoft's shatterers have crushed many a dream in their time :)

If something is working for you then keep doing it! Be careful of friends who are only seemingly helpful as well!

On a more sombre note I went to a seminar 7 years ago now that had the smartest person in the room (not mentioned in this thread) presenting these wonderful strategies to financially free those with a few assets and some spare cash, seemed like I was listening to some profound truths and I left with a new purpose. Now the strategies have in my opinion soundly been shelved (shattered?) and I'm sure glad I didn't follow them too closely.

Trust but verify carefully!

If the scheme makes money, Do the scheme
If the scheme does not make money, sell the scheme at seminars

everything; timeshare, avon, mary Kay, Amway, and property scams

i think it was constructive...

you can certainly do ok without 2 out of financial support, knowledge and motivation but if you have none youre pretty much stuffed.

JVs are about bringing something neccessary to the table that the other guy doesn't have, and him doing the same for you. If you aren't motivated and don't have the neccessary resources, why would anyone get into business with you? What's in it for them? Why wouldn't they go out and find someone who has both of those things and do it with them instead? A little common sense would be a good start.

I got into the development game with zero money and zero skills. I was, however, super motivated and a capable sort of guy, and learned the planning act/scheme inside out and learned how to pull deals together, how to structure them, business models contracts etc etc and so became an ideal partner for a financial backer.

To quote one of the greatest legends of all time - "build it, and they will come" - al bundy :p

note: this may require something that is kryptonite to most people - hard work

I think the term is dream stealers, Though dream shatterers has more zing. Somersoft's shatterers have crushed many a dream in their time :)

If something is working for you then keep doing it! Be careful of friends who are only seemingly helpful as well!

On a more sombre note I went to a seminar 7 years ago now that had the smartest person in the room (not mentioned in this thread) presenting these wonderful strategies to financially free those with a few assets and some spare cash, seemed like I was listening to some profound truths and I left with a new purpose. Now the strategies have in my opinion soundly been shelved (shattered?) and I'm sure glad I didn't follow them too closely.

Trust but verify carefully!

Thanks Andrew, Yes, perhaps dream stealers is more accurate. I will continue with Mark Rolton's course, definitely until the stage unto which I begin parting with large sums of money. And then I will re-evaluate.

I agree with Propertyunity and (to some extent) AlmostBob in that you only get so far as you are willing to put in the time, effort and money. In hindsight I regret listing my failings. :)

However I appreciate the genuine support the team at Massland seem to provide.

Thank you for sharing your experience with seminars. I'm very interested in property options (im not sure if that was what you experienced).
Do you think that with the right dedication and commitment the strategies could turn profits?

i think it was constructive...

you can certainly do ok without 2 out of financial support, knowledge and motivation but if you have none youre pretty much stuffed.

Is that not what these forums, resources, seminars, networking is all about? Knowledge, support and motivation?

What about the other essentials?

- drive
- commitment
- contacts
- dedication
- passion
- negotiation
- seeing something through to the end?

JVs are about bringing something neccessary to the table that the other guy doesn't have, and him doing the same for you. If you aren't motivated and don't have the neccessary resources, why would anyone get into business with you? What's in it for them? Why wouldn't they go out and find someone who has both of those things and do it with them instead? A little common sense would be a good start.

I got into the development game with zero money and zero skills. I was, however, super motivated and a capable sort of guy, and learned the planning act/scheme inside out and learned how to pull deals together, how to structure them, business models contracts etc etc and so became an ideal partner for a financial backer.

Ocean Architect you are absolutely right. Like yourself, all I need is steering in the right direction. I am competitive by nature, and I set myself very high standards and am determined to see this through and not be "steered" out.

I guess within property development JVs, if the right person can bring the right property to the table, all it takes is a commitment to applying hard work to attain the ultimate goal.

Is that not what these forums, resources, seminars, networking is all about? Knowledge, support and motivation?

What about the other essentials?

- drive
- commitment
- contacts
- dedication
- passion
- negotiation
- seeing something through to the end?

knowledge and support absolutely but no one can give you self motivation.

OA's post is accurate IMO, look at it from POV of person who would do a JV with you, what are you bringing to the table?

with regards to options, i have no personal experience but byt all accounts it is something that requires a hell of a lot of drive and determination as you're probably going to get rejected many times before you get someone to agree. you then have to go and do all the work necessary to make the option worthwhile (DA etc).

with regards to massland, from the one semin ar ive been to of his he takes 60% of the profit of the first deal despite you doing all the legwork. to me that is ridiculous so if i were you once you finish the course try to team up with someone else instead of them.
im not tryign to be harsh here by the way, just answering your question honestly

knowledge and support absolutely but no one can give you self motivation.

OA's post is accurate IMO, look at it from POV of person who would do a JV with you, what are you bringing to the table?

with regards to options, i have no personal experience but byt all accounts it is something that requires a hell of a lot of drive and determination as you're probably going to get rejected many times before you get someone to agree. you then have to go and do all the work necessary to make the option worthwhile (DA etc).

with regards to massland, from the one semin ar ive been to of his he takes 60% of the profit of the first deal despite you doing all the legwork. to me that is ridiculous so if i were you once you finish the course try to team up with someone else instead of them.
im not tryign to be harsh here by the way, just answering your question honestly

Sanj, you are probably right, forums are clearly not the place for motivation :)

From what I have read Options are extremely hard, receiving one show of interest from 30 calls, before the legwork begins with DA etc. Massland, by the sounds of it take a pretty hefty chunk (I think it's actually like 80%) but you can work with their resources every step of the way. That's a pretty big liability. But yes, good advice. Thanks

no worries, best of luck.

if you do get an option pls at least run it by this forum, chances are people here will come up wuith a better strategy that would enable you to keep more than 20% of the deal.

You can make money from property, you can trade property using options, fairly simple truths. I would be shredding all cards in my wallet apart from my library card right about now.

Ocean Architect you are absolutely right. Like yourself, all I need is steering in the right direction. I am competitive by nature, and I set myself very high standards and am determined to see this through and not be "steered" out.

I guess within property development JVs, if the right person can bring the right property to the table, all it takes is a commitment to applying hard work to attain the ultimate goal.

No one is trying to "steer" you out of anything. Nor is it anyones obligation to "steer" you into anything. Honestly you're not that important to anyone. You can win/lose/live/die and no one will really notice. You're on your own.

Come up with a plan, upskill where neccessary, and follow through with that plan. Doesn't matter what anyone says, or who might have helped you but didn't. In this game you have to make your own rain or it's not going to happen - which is a good thing, by the way - because you then have a competitive advantage over all of the armchair warriors who could have, would have, should have...but didn't.

To quote one of the greatest legends of all time - "build it, and they will come" - al bundy :p

note: this may require something that is kryptonite to most people - hard work

Definitely agree with Ocean Architect. I have been looking for someone to partner up with for investment opportunities. I have a best friend who, while great at being a friend, also suffers from a severe lack of motivation and financial support. Suffice to say, she is definitely not someone I would ever consider embarking on a JV with.

People interested in JVs need to be satisfied that the other joint venturer is reliable and stable.

Back