Looking for advice, first IP

Hi

Just wanting to ask some advice. Have just been given the OK from the bank (verbally not in writing) for an investment property around the $380k mark. Problem is from what I can work out the loan is what is called a cross collateral loan, which from what I have read so far is best avoided. So I'm just wanting to get some opinions about my current situation. PPOR value around $370-380K mark, just over $290K principal owing, fixed until August 2016. $23K in redraw (bringing principal down to $267K), $70K salary.

One important note to add is long term I would really like to maximise my borrowing power as I live a pretty modest life and would like to focus on property investing if I enjoy it.

Hi

Just wanting to ask some advice. Have just been given the OK from the bank (verbally not in writing) for an investment property around the $380k mark. Problem is from what I can work out the loan is what is called a cross collateral loan, which from what I have read so far is best avoided. So I'm just wanting to get some opinions about my current situation. PPOR value around $370-380K mark, just over $290K principal owing, fixed until August 2016. $23K in redraw (bringing principal down to $267K), $70K salary.

One important note to add is long term I would really like to maximise my borrowing power as I live a pretty modest life and would like to focus on property investing if I enjoy it.

Hi,

Its hard to tell if your lender will cross your loans with the information provided - but if you don't know, then its more than likely.

Best to create a separate loan against your PPOR and take out any useable equity you have. If you PPOR is valued at 380k, at an 80% LVR, you can borrow 304k. This leaves you with around 15k in 'usable equity' - without having to pay LMI. You may be able to go to 90% and borrow 342k, giving you around 52k in 'useable equity' - but you will then need to pay LMI.

If you want to borrow more than what the bank are offering - shop around - by swapping lenders alone you could borrow significantly more.

Cheers,
Redom

Hi methodman

Nice name :) ODB would have been another cool option.

To avoid crossing you just need to set the loans up as follows:

PPOR
Loan 1: Existing loan
Loan 2: Equity release to cover deposit/costs on IP

IP
Loan 3: Loan against IP (with deposit coming from loan above)

You don't have a whole lot of equity so hopefully your current lender will allow an equity release up to 90%

Cheers

Jamie

Cross loans and lmi usually result in much higher lmi premiums than needed.

Then there are all the usual other issues as to why cross is usually only a good idea for bank/ broker

Ask your banker to provide you with diff structure options

If you get the deer in the headlights look, find another branch or speak with a decent broker, some of which have already replied to your post above

Ta

Rolf

Back