Looking for help. Cairns locals chime in

Edmonton and White Rock have a lot of 'social' issues as well. There is a lot of Dept of Housing stock which can ruin whole streets with one bad tenant and there's plenty of them. The land release at Mount Peter will definitely keep a lid on massive price rises but the area is benefitting from a lot of public sector investment. As for White Rock, I don't think it ticks many boxes at all for investment. Half the suburb is built on swamp land and the other half on the old dump.

Edmonton and White Rock have a lot of 'social' issues as well. There is a lot of Dept of Housing stock which can ruin whole streets with one bad tenant and there's plenty of them. The land release at Mount Peter will definitely keep a lid on massive price rises but the area is benefitting from a lot of public sector investment. As for White Rock, I don't think it ticks many boxes at all for investment. Half the suburb is built on swamp land and the other half on the old dump.

No 'social' issues in town? I'd prefer to walk the streets of White Rock at night than parts of Cairns city.

Depends....

My sister just bought at Goldsborough for $500k - 7 years old, 4 bedroom, huge shed, 4 acres, ride-on included. They are moving from Bentley Park where they have lived for 16 years because of the change of demographic.

Unfortunately since the grog ban was implemented up in the Cape, Cairns and the Tablelands has experienced an inundation of unemployed, drug and alcohol dependent people. This has affected many areas in Cairns, Bentley Park being one of them. I own a rental in Bentley Park but I have great tenants at $450. If Edmonton City takes off, I will have a prime house.

But realistically, I don't think you will find anywhere on the northern beaches with 2 acres at a good price given the Aquis hype, but on the south side, Gordonvale, Goldsborough and beyond you will find something, there are many great properties out there.

The city CBD area is okay for apartment highrise living only IMO. Too much effort for a certain subsection of the population to carry out break and enters when there are easier targets.

I wouldn't generalise about certain suburbs.

For those unsure about crime, you can have a look at the online crime maps here: https://data.police.qld.gov.au.

Also check online council planning maps for flooding and overlays of concern.

Cheers

Jen

I don't need to generalize Jen the crime map provided for 4870 shows 278 offences in the CBD with high numbers in surrounding suburbs. Almost none in Freshwater, Brimsmead, Redlynch or Stafford. I don't think its a generalization

I don't need to generalize Jen the crime map provided for 4870 shows 278 offences in the CBD with high numbers in surrounding suburbs. Almost none in Freshwater, Brimsmead, Redlynch or Stafford. I don't think its a generalization

Sorry Hugh72. I'm a bit confused about what you are referring to, as my comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Just meant to be taken as a useful reference.

Regards

Jen

Okay Jen no worries, the data is interesting and confirms
what is the reality for people who live here. Probably not as important from an investment perspective though
Hugh

Thanks, Hugh. I agree - the data definitely confirms the local reality, which I have experienced first hand in many forms.

From my experience, it's also a big factor for investors as well. The reputation of certain areas and suburbs can be a big source of uncertainty and potential risk for investors. I find that the data helps to quantify and clarify the risks.

Regards

Jen

What timeframe did you put in?
I see 1,136 for the CBD in the last 3 months including 300 theft, 105 drug offences, 83 property damage, 65 assault, 40 unlawful entry, 11 weapons offences, 5 robbery - but only 1 homicide. Not too bad.

The heat maps via the above link give a great visual of how areas compare. You can drill down within the heat maps by de-selecting some of the items to the left.

It's also interesting to do a snapshot of the latest situation, and compare with an earlier point in time. I did this for the 'm' suburbs a while ago, and saw a noticeable drop in the crime rate - at the time I thought it might have been something to do with the lead up to the G20 finance ministers summit 'clean up' in Cairns.

Cheers

Jen

The heat maps via the above link give a great visual of how areas compare. You can drill down within the heat maps by de-selecting some of the items to the left.

It's also interesting to do a snapshot of the latest situation, and compare with an earlier point in time. I did this for the 'm' suburbs a while ago, and saw a noticeable drop in the crime rate - at the time I thought it might have been something to do with the lead up to the G20 finance ministers summit 'clean up' in Cairns.

Cheers

Jen

Crime aside Jen, what's your take on the market up there over the last few months? I've got a place in (lower) Edge Hill that had a poor bank val about 2 months ago. I don't want to waste my time with another until its moved. Bank doesn't need to see my LVR...

I know you asked Jen, I just had my place revalued, it's increased just over 8% from what I paid under 12 months ago. Not complaining. Still some good buys around.

Reading the above made me curious as to what my PPOR is worth at the moment. Just ordered as desktop val and was pleasantly surprised.

17% increase in value since purchase in late 2013.

Property is in Trinity Park for those playing along at home.

Reading the above made me curious as to what my PPOR is worth at the moment. Just ordered as desktop val and was pleasantly surprised.

Good to hear Azazel and Kinnon

Kinnon - how does one get a desktop val?

B

Good to hear Azazel and Kinnon

Kinnon - how does one get a desktop val?

B

Hey Mate, depending on how the loan was originated (ie banker or broker) and who the bank is should be able to order one directly otherwise most brokers can fairly easily order a desktop val with a few lenders.

I don't want to speak for others, but I'm sure if you emailed one they'd be happy to oblige with either a desktop val or a RP Data/Residex et al property report.

That sounds pretty good, might have some equity to play with? ;)

Back