Looking for PMs

Hi all,

Looking to get a PM for our first IP and have a couple of questions about what is 'normal', or at least your thoughts on a couple of things. :) Property is in QLD.
1. Water usage - The PM contract they've given us says that the tenant will pay for 'excess water usage' and that anything less than 30KL per month is reasonable. 30KL seems like an aweful lot to me for a 2BR townhouse.... Thoughts?
2. What's a normal notice period to change PMs. One we're looking at has a 30 day written notice requirement. This also seems like a fair while if they're really poor. If they back their own product they should be happy with less shouldn't they? What have others got?

Thanks for your thoughts.

poyner

Just as a comparison, our office lets people out of contracts if they are not happy and we offer a money back gaurantee on management costs.

All water usuage should be charged to the tenant if allowed by law (I'm not familiar with QLD). Ask them if it is possible!

Also important to ask how often they do rent reviews and if they provide you with statistical evidence every 6 months or so to support whether the rent should go up or not! Most agencies under rent properties and this is the biggest cost to investors (not agent's fees).

We are just in SA so can't help but here is a list of questions which you may find useful to ask:
http://www.adprop.com.au/cgi-bin/page.cgi?id=288

all the best!!!:D

poyner

30KL a month is HUGE - especially for a 2-bedroom unit! Qld government target is 140 litres per person per day. A 2-bedroom IP we own uses approx 300 - 325 litres per day (equates to around 10KL per month).

Recent changes to Qld legislation allow a landlord to charge a tenant for ALL water used, but the property must be fitted with water-saving taps and showerhead/s and dual flush toilet/s. If the IP is a unit, each individual unit in the block/complex must be fitted with a water meter if the tenant is to be charged with ANY water useage.

Hope this helps. But do check it out thoroughly - fines for excess use are soon to be introduced, and there is a question mark over who pays: the tenant or the landlord! :(

Cheers
LynnH

Good PM around Durack needed

Hello all,

Just signed a contract for a house in Durack, very close to INALA, good PM recommends or bad PM to avoid are needed.

Thanks in advance.

Aulyna

Hi Poyner

Which part of Brissie is the property located might be able to recommend some good.

Chermside.

Also, speaking to a PM the other day about water usage and she mentioned that the law hasn't been passed yet allowing for tenants to be billed for 100% of water usage. She said it won't be in force until January next year. Does anyone else have any further info on this?

Cheers,
Nathan

Hi poyner

Your post prompted me to ring the RTA about water usage - and I would now like to correct my previous post. The legislation has NOT been passed yet - the information outlined in my post is a proposal only (at this stage). When it will come into effect will be specified in the legislation when/if it is passed by parliament.

My apologies if I have misled anyone - got the info from a usually-reliable source. Next time I will check it our personally before I post. :(

Information is provided on the RTA website: www.rta.qld.gov.au/zone_files/Fact_Sheets/water.pdf - there is a 2-page factsheet which can be downloaded.

Cheers
LynnH

Nathan

I have just purchased Mayfair Realty at Clayfield mainly because they have a large rent role and have a Principal who is going to run the business for me.

They cover Clayfield and all surrounding suburbs so feel free to give them a call on 07 3262 4533 and I am sure they can help you.

I have not settled on the purchase yet so the staff may not be aware the business has been sold.

Back