Looking to buy a blue chip IP in Brisbane

seems property fever is just starting to take grip in Brisbane.

When I look back I think of some of the counter cyclical opportunities that were so obvious in hindsight...

Perth early 90s
Karratha 2005ish
Shares GFC
US real estate GFC
Sydney pre the current bubble

The fever that has gripped Sydney will clearly come to Brisbane next. Bubbles for Brisbane here we come!

ok, but now the question is that where in Brissy to get ?

Agree, I spent the best part of yesterday on the phone chasing agents, every house I eventually got to ask about = sorry it is under contract :mad:

Brisbane generally takes off in the summer. Not sure why but Queenslanders seem to like buying when the weather is good.

Anyway I predicted Summer 2013 was going to be the boom. I was wrong. Then summer 2014. Wrong. Dammit I'm positive it'll be this Xmas!

Good to see, hope the renovation of yours went well?

Yeah it went alright took longer than expected though...

Rented out privately now

Did you renno yours in the end or just rent it?

I don't think you will see houses that cheap in that pocket again so I reckon you did well

Priced out and losing the property search game

Agree, I spent the best part of yesterday on the phone chasing agents, every house I eventually got to ask about = sorry it is under contract :mad:

Same thing here in Sydney, I've been doing my due dilligence and getting the preaaproval that is valid in the past 3 months. But somehow all of the IP within the price range in the suburbs that we like already gone up $50k since I got the Pre-Approval.

Sydney property market is just too hot at the moment, lloking in RE.com.au and Domain.com.au isn't quick enough to snap a deal bellow market value.

another fruitless morning. Finally contacted agent, house had 2 unseen offers on second day, proceeded to first open house 30 groups through, 10 offers and under contract within a week. Brisbane is moving

another fruitless morning. Finally contacted agent, house had 2 unseen offers on second day, proceeded to first open house 30 groups through, 10 offers and under contract within a week. Brisbane is moving

Second day of what, listing or open house?

And "within a week" - that's too long already. In a market like this you need to go in with a strong offer within a few hours of listing that will disuade them from waiting until the first open house. Once people get to see it you have no chance. In order to be able to buy sight unseen and pounce that quickly you need to do insane amounts of DD before hand. I have suburbs mapped out with specific houses I want. I study properties before they even hit the market.

how did you know ?
did you ask the home owner or the occupier to sell their house ?

I use Google Maps and AllHomes to study the land shape and size, Street View to check out inclines etc and the home itself. Then I also use SV to look around the streets to check for anything funny, then calculate distances to bus stops, shops etc. There's a lot you can tell about a property just using these basic tools. Then I print out maps of suburbs I'm hunting in and start circling the houses I'm interested in. Most people only keep their eyes on 3-6 suburbs when hunting and within those suburbs a lot of the streets are write-offs anyway (near freeways, factories, more than 8 mins walk to bus stops etc), so of the 3-6 suburbs you can generally narrow it down to 10-15 streets per suburb, so it's not as big of a task as you would think. Remember these aren't just the nice streets / houses. These are the properties you would be willing to pounce on - willing to put in offers within a few minutes, sight unseen. You could still find yourself buying other properties outside your marked zones, but within these marked zones are the ones that you can almost purchase without thinking. "Without thinking" being the key words here - if you want the ability to move insanely fast, this is how you do it. While the others are still there thinking about it, looking at Google maps, talking about going to the open house, you've got the agent on the line. If you have say 50-100 properties marked, by law of probability you're almost guaranteed to have one hit the market within a reasonable time frame. This has happened to me twice this year already. It's not guaranteed to work, but every advantage you can get helps! And even if it doesn't work, in doing so it forces you to learn each suburb in more detail than even most locals. So even if a property outside your hot zone comes up, you're able to analyse it much more quickly than anyone else.

Does anyone else agree with the statement that "Brisbane is moving". I tend to think that only a few areas are. But I'm not on the ground there. I have an ip in Paddington in Brisbane so I have an interest.

I use Google Maps and AllHomes to study the land shape and size, Street View to check out inclines etc and the home itself. Then I also use SV to look around the streets to check for anything funny, then calculate distances to bus stops, shops etc. There's a lot you can tell about a property just using these basic tools. Then I print out maps of suburbs I'm hunting in and start circling the houses I'm interested in. Most people only keep their eyes on 3-6 suburbs when hunting and within those suburbs a lot of the streets are write-offs anyway (near freeways, factories, more than 8 mins walk to bus stops etc), so of the 3-6 suburbs you can generally narrow it down to 10-15 streets per suburb, so it's not as big of a task as you would think. Remember these aren't just the nice streets / houses. These are the properties you would be willing to pounce on - willing to put in offers within a few minutes, sight unseen. You could still find yourself buying other properties outside your marked zones, but within these marked zones are the ones that you can almost purchase without thinking. "Without thinking" being the key words here - if you want the ability to move insanely fast, this is how you do it. While the others are still there thinking about it, looking at Google maps, talking about going to the open house, you've got the agent on the line. If you have say 50-100 properties marked, by law of probability you're almost guaranteed to have one hit the market within a reasonable time frame. This has happened to me twice this year already. It's not guaranteed to work, but every advantage you can get helps! And even if it doesn't work, in doing so it forces you to learn each suburb in more detail than even most locals. So even if a property outside your hot zone comes up, you're able to analyse it much more quickly than anyone else.

Ah I see, that does make sense.
You're inspiring me in doing the suburb walks in the winter morning now :)

Second day of what, listing or open house?

And "within a week" - that's too long already. In a market like this you need to go in with a strong offer within a few hours of listing that will disuade them from waiting until the first open house. Once people get to see it you have no chance. In order to be able to buy sight unseen and pounce that quickly you need to do insane amounts of DD before hand. I have suburbs mapped out with specific houses I want. I study properties before they even hit the market.

second day of listing offers started. It was sold by the end of the first opening according to the agent.

great strategy !

Southside within 10-12kms is still selling just as fast in my recent experience (settled on my last 4 weeks ago) however the prices don't seem to have shifted in this first quarter (and the RP data overall supports that, as does the individual suburb data of those I'm interested in).

Does anyone else agree with the statement that "Brisbane is moving". I tend to think that only a few areas are. But I'm not on the ground there. I have an ip in Paddington in Brisbane so I have an interest.

Of course, plenty of suburbs the growth has already happened. Been going since late 2013 I think. People expecting Sydney crazy type growth in all areas will be waiting a long time.
You know how to check on how your suburb is going right?
Take a look at median price history, just a quick one from that magazine site:

Attachments

• Paddo.jpg
    Paddo.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 119

Hi jerrybee - once you've narrowed down the properties/streets you're intereted in, how do you keep tabs on when they come to market? Do you just search new listings on RE.com, keeping an eye out for properties on your watchlist?

Back