Looking to purchase Brisbane IP

Hi All,

I am interested in purchasing an investment property in Brisbane mainly for capital growth with a gross rental return of not less than 5%. I would be looking to spend between 500k-600k.

I am not a first time investor but I do not have much experience in the different areas in Brisbane apart from my research on the internet.

I have done some research and Redcliffe, Scarborough, Wynnum and Manly look like pretty good places to invest in.

My strategy is buy and hold in a blue chip area. Either houses or units.

I would really appreciate some feedback on the areas in I have mentioned above.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I am interested in purchasing an investment property in Brisbane mainly for capital growth with a gross rental return of not less than 5%. I would be looking to spend between 500k-600k.

I am not a first time investor but I do not have much experience in the different areas in Brisbane apart from my research on the internet.

I have done some research and Redcliffe, Scarborough, Wynnum and Manly look like pretty good places to invest in.

Thanks.

You'll do well in Scarborough in that price range. In my opinion it's the best suburb on the Redcliffe Peninsula and the world has only just started to realise that. If you get in soon you will do very well in terms of capital growth over the next few years in my opinion. That whole area will suddenly become a viable proposition for people commuting to the city once the rail link is finished in a couple of years time. At the moment, there are plenty of people who would love to live out there but simply can't because of the awful commute (me included).

That whole area will suddenly become a viable proposition for people commuting to the city once the rail link is finished in a couple of years time.

How long would the commute take? From what I can tell, from Petrie it is already 55 mins which is longer than what most people could tolerate I imagine.

How long would the commute take? From what I can tell, from Petrie it is already 55mins which is longer than what most people could tolerate I imagine.

From Petrie Stn to CBD about 35-40mins.
Brisbane city suburbs I think of as blue chip: Ascot, Hamilton, New Farm/ Newstead, Clayfield, Newmarket, Woolloongabba, Spring Hill, East Brisbane, Paddington, St Lucia, Herston. Cheers, nat

With that budget you could go inner city

Out of the suburbs mentioned the only one i would consider spending 5- 600 would be manly

However if you like Redcliffe maybe you could look for a really large block for future development in that price range. Spending 5 - 600 k that far out from the cbd on a vanilla investment would be a waste of time in my opinion. you would of priced out potential future buyers and capped your gains from the very start
Unless you find something pretty much waterfront

From Petrie Stn to CBD about 35-40mins.
Brisbane city suburbs I think of as blue chip: Ascot, Hamilton, New Farm/ Newstead, Clayfield, Newmarket, Woolloongabba, Spring Hill, East Brisbane, Paddington, St Lucia, Herston. Cheers, nat

Bulimba, Hawthorne, Balmoral, Norman Park and parts of Coorparoo also blue chip.

Thanks for all the replies, they have given me more to think about.

I am looking for a Buyers Agent in Brisbane, I have read that allen real estate is good has anyone heard much about them?

Hi All,

Thanks.

For 600k you will buy a house on the inner Southside from West End out as far as Moorooka,I have been looking for one of my daughters now for 2 months,2 were development sites under the new BCC Plans ,a lot of people overlook those areas but some if one was to span the "CG" over a 20 year period which I can are above 13% year in year out..good luck..

imho,as I know the Agents for 25 years have a look at this site..

http://www.matthewsrealestate.com.au/

Thanks for all the replies, they have given me more to think about.

I am looking for a Buyers Agent in Brisbane, I have read that allen real estate is good has anyone heard much about them?

I have lots of mutual clients with Andrew. They all talk highly of him.

Thank you for all your replies. It is good to know that there are so many people out that that are willing to assist.

I will post how things go with my investment purchase.

Hi DD

I am in same boat as you looking to buy a investment property in similar price range. I am looking at Stafford, Chermside area earlier but still thinking and comparing. I am researching about bridgeman downs currently. We can discuss and share our progress if you like.

What does every one think of bridgeman downs?

Hi All,

Thanks.
Just some food for thought but generally investors are targeting somewhere around the median price for an area so for some of these areas you might save a few hundred k on that budget :) This is in relation to a vanilla/standard buy and hold, low maintenance, well conditioned property, if spending much above median would like to know why, land upside or some similar potential could be a good reason. Plenty of different strategies, some like buying far below the median and adding value through some method.

I understand 500-600k might not go far in Sydney these days ;) but Brisbane is still 'different' in this respect!

What does every one think of bridgeman downs?

My personal thoughts: I like Bridgeman Downs, its a quality area. Lots of good quality, large houses on decent sized blocks, with a high number of owner occupiers. Some acreage. Mostly houses, a few townhouses along Albany Creek Rd. Public transport not so great, limited to bus service, but anyone renting in Bridgeman downs is unlikely to be using public transport. Townhouse on Albany creek rd have bus stops close by. Cheers, nat

As most people have stated 500-600k will get you something within 15 km of the cbd, it won't be a mansion but will be livable and rentable. Redcliffe, Scarabough, Manly and Wynnum are hardly considered "blue chip" suburbs. If your going to spend that much in these areas, I'd expect any of the following:

• water views
  • sub dividable block
  • or a huge house

Having said that if I had that much to spend I still wouldn't invest in those areas.

As most people have stated 500-600k will get you something within 15 km of the cbd, it won't be a mansion but will be livable and rentable. Redcliffe, Scarabough, Manly and Wynnum are hardly considered "blue chip" suburbs. If your going to spend that much in these areas, I'd expect any of the following:

• water views
  • sub dividable block
  • or a huge house

Having said that if I had that much to spend I still wouldn't invest in those areas.

Manly will be blue chip in 5 years

A lot of people in Brisbane are funny about the bay areas , they are too far away, too many bogans, there's no beach or it's not like Sydney

I reckon people said the same things in melbourne and Sydney 40 years ago

I'm not really sure if Brisbane is ready to embrace the redcliffe peninsula as it's quite far out

But

It has the only real beaches near Brisbane
It has land scarcity - small peninsula

So things look good long term - but if your buying under 300k then you'll do well id suspect

A lot of people in Brisbane are funny about the bay areas , they are too far away, too many bogans, there's no beach or it's not like Sydney

I agree that it has the ingredients to be Blue Chip,hey said that in Manly 20 years ago, 10 years ago, and 5 years ago.

Blue Chip in 20 years maybe. The state schools in the area are still dodgy and there is a lot of low SES people around.

Sure, it's one of the ways we are different. It's surprising how little investor interest there is in these areas I've found.

Back