lost e-mails

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know where my computer may have hidden three months worth of e-mails? (Yes, I'm leaving myself open with that question aren't I?)
It asked me if I wanted to compact files to make more room, so I let it and now my e-mails have gone!

Thanks to any computer buffs that may actually try & help me!!:)

Jen

If all else fails do a system restore. Press Start --> Accessories --> System Tools --> System Restore.

Choose a date just prior to the date the problem started.

A few years ago I uninstalled MS Office for my partner only to find that all her emails were also removed :eek:

System Restore saved my relationship -- at least up to that point. Ultimately, there was no sytem restore for that! :D)

Hi Jen,

I HATE is when outlook express asks if I want to compact my emails, but I get so sick of the message every time I want to switch itentities I eventually give in to it.

One thing to remember is when it is compacting, DO NOT touch the computer (i.e. surf the net) or whatever, just let it do its compacting stuff cause if it locks up you can lose the lot.

I hope the system restore thing worked for you.

What I do now periodically is save my emails on to an external harddrive so that if this ever happens to me again I can get back my emails.

Bloody hate compacting of emails!!!!!!!!!:(

Thanks guys for your answers.

I tried the system restore but it didn't work and when I googled, I read something that confirmed it doesn't work with e-mails. I had forgotten about system restore though and am pleased I now know where it is, so that is one good thing!

I downloaded a trial program that is meant to help but it didn't locate my missing e-mails either. It did find over 8000 others though:rolleyes:

BV, I'm with bigpond.

I haven't googled much yet, so thought I'd keep persisting with that as well.

To add insult to injury, my computer seems to have gained a zest for compacting and has asked me more frequently over the last few days if it can do it. I take great pleasure in pressing the "no" button and have a mental vision of it actually asking "can I have another go at stuffing up all your e-mails - that was fun!"

Hi Jen,

In OE look under OPTIONS,TOOLS, MAINTENANCE
On that page there should be a STORE FOLDER button,
it should show you the default storing location.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks BV,
I went in there & found that info but when I went to find the file, it wasn't there:confused: Only part of the pathway existed.
However, during my googling, I found a site by a tech person who answers questions about OE, so I have e-mailed them. I will let you know what comes out of that.

Hi Jen,

Sometimes when Outlook Express gets interupted when compacting files it can end up in the recycle bin. Check in there for any files with a .dbx file extension.

Ian

Hi Milkieboy,

I tried that and there was a file labelled "inbox" but it was a bak file extension. I restored that anyway(hopefully that was OK) but nothing happened...that I know of. I didn't see any dbx file.
What is a dbx file extension as I'm sure I've seen these elsewhere but not known what to do with them.

I really do appreciate everyone's help. Thanks,

Jen

OK the .bak files will be all your old emails. I am assuming you have been using email since they went missing if you dont have any important ones since you lost the rest or can print the ones you want then follow the steps below.

1. Exit Outlook Express.

2. The %userprofile%\local settings\application data\identities\user guid\microsoft\outlook express\ folder contains a inbox.dbx file, move the inbox.dbx file to a different folder.

Note %userprofile% will be you profile name under c:\doccuments and settings\

If you cant see the .dbx file go to tools >folder options > view and tick the button that says show hidden files

3. Right-click inbox.bak, and then click Rename.

4. Change the inbox.bak file name extension to inbox.dbx.

5. Start Outlook Express. Your e-mail items should be restored Hopefuly.

Shout out if the instructions are confuding or you need more help. I am confident we will get them back :)

Ian

Ian - you are MAGIC!!!
Thank you, thank you, thank you. It worked. How on earth do you know that stuff??
I am really happy! :D :D :D

and just once more for luck...THANK YOU!!!!

Jen

Glad to see it worked.

No more compacting messages EVER. You can probably stop it from prompting you, just google it to find out how, otherwise ignore it.

For future reference if you regulary copy the inbox.dbx file to CD or USB stick etc then you will always have a backup of you email.

Ian

Excellent advice - thank you.
I will google to see how to stop compacting but as it is no longer an emergency :)) ), I can't promise I'll get back with what I've found before the w/e - it won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
Jen

Back