Lost garage remotes

additHi,
I've been reading this forum for awhile but this is my first posting. Hope someone can help with this ...........
Recently we decided to sell an IP in Perth so advised property manager to give tenants required notice and the day they vacated we flew over to do an inspect and decide what needed to be done before listing the property.
The place had not been left in good condition - scuffed walls, stained carpet, generally not clean and tidy etc. :mad: Red flag at this stage because we had not been advised of any problems with tenants during this tenancy.
We met with new manager who assured us that things would get better now that he was in charge etc. etc.
Property manager withheld % of bond - but used it for cleaning carpet even though she was told we were refurbishing the place (!!) :confused:
We arranged for complete repaint, new carpet and some general repairs and property was listed. .
Settlement is next week but sales agent advised that remotes to garage door are missing - as far as we know, there should've been two but despite phone calls to the agency, nobody seems to know what has happened to these remotes and it seems nobody is prepared to accept responsibility for doing anything about the problem.

Of course we can just use google and find someone to supply a couple of new remotes but we believe that property management dept. is responsible - either tenants didn't return remotes (in which case, why not deduct cost of replacement from their bond??) or else property manager has mislaid/lost them.
Despite many phone calls to our property manager, her supervisor and the salesman, this issue has not been resolved and as settlement is due next week, we are anxious to have this resolved.

Should I put this complaint in writing for future complaint to REBA/REIWA or is there a better and quicker option?
Any suggestions most welcome.
fantail

Last edited:
The quickest and better option would be to buy two generic remotes from eBay at about $7.50 each and get on with your life.

Inspection reports on a reg basis are how property condition and damage is managed for all real estate. Your PM should perform this not less than 6 monthly. You should be following up and reviewing copies.

The remote cost should have been addressed in the exit report...and deducted from the bond. Cleaning of carpet is std for many agents.. It matters not that you propose to rip it out.

Your PM needs to step it up.

I have never had a tenant leave and give back a remote. Agent excuses " there wasn't one at the beginning" or "the tenant left every remote they received". I just expect to buy new ones. Sick of fighting about it. For some reason air conditioner remotes appear to be prized possessions too. Have had to buy a few replacements online.

Should I put this complaint in writing for future complaint to REBA/REIWA or is there a better and quicker option?
Any suggestions most welcome.
fantail

Complaining to REIWA doesn't do anything - they are just the professional body that represents agents. Consumer Protection is the regulatory body for agents, so they are the appropriate department to complain to in theory - but in practice I've never seen them chase up anything like this ever in my 5 years of lodging complaints.

You pay a premium for WA Property Managers, but don't expect that to mean that you'll get a premium service

Buy some new ones - not worth the fight or angst

Thanks everyone for your replies.
The matter has now been resolved - AFTER I took this up with the agency principal - new remotes supplied at effectively no cost to me.

Back