Lost job!

Hubby has been retrenched twice in his career. Although initially upsetting and certainly not a nice experience, both times he went on to bigger and better things.

Hang in there - all will be fine in the end.
Marg

Funny how things happen...

I have been employed under contracts that have been extended for the last 3 years. In July my contract was extended by 5 months - straight away I realised that it would not be renewed as an usual number.

This really isn't a problem for me/us as I didn't want the contract in the first place as it restricted what I could do otherwise.

Anyway last week I received and email that I was to attend a meeting, when I phoned to ask what the meeting was about I received an email instead of the requested phone call to tell me what meeting was about - Manager in area doing staff appraisals, budget and changes in trends.

Well I am not up for a staff appraisal until next year, budget has nothing to do with me, now changes in trends????

Anyway - I had already told my close work associates that I expected to go from contract back to PPT/Casual. :p

YEP....that was what meeting was about. :rolleyes:

I blew my immediate boss and her boss out of the water by saying - I realised my contract was not going to be renewed in July (when I received last extension of contract).

They emphasised that I would still be doing the same work but paid as a PPT/causal.

I had already worked my yearly pay out and I will earn 3k more as PPT/casual and do 3 weeks less work per year as higher hourly rate

PLUS, I will not have to pick up and do any other PPT/casual employees work etc. as all employees will all be the same level.

Splutter, splutter.....:D Go the Manager's

Then I blew them out of the water by saying I had been offered a 6 figure job last week but I did not want to commit to 3 - 5 years with 3 trips per month to Sydney.

Splutter, splutter....they would hate to lose my expertise! :p

Now...my section has been running smoothly for years!!!! I wonder why.

Last year I worked on one project, which is considered best practice and is now being applied across other industries and I was involved in a second project this year that proved first project was bestpractice.

The first project was released with a worldwide free licence for others to use or alter as desired as funded by DET.

More splutter, splutter.

I do things, I share because as soon as you do something it becomes obsolete quickly.

THEM's the breaks, I rang another Manager friend after the meeting to discuss something else and let her know I would be going back to PPT/casual, she offered me work straight away BUT you know what I like doing what I am doing and doing it well!

Main lesson here....if I wasn't switched on and financial secure I would have been broadsided on a Friday afternoon.

Future Plans...
Hubby and I are now working out if we can manage on me working 3 days instead of 4 days. OR can we start to travel after my contract finished.

Sheryn

Last edited:
Agree - But I have empathy for people who would not be in my/our situation.

Sheryn

Empathy is a valuable commodity. There are many on this forum able to offer advice and views on matters that may be outside of their personal experience.

A different perspective can be a wonderful resource!

hubby's work had mass retrenchments earlier this year (about 20% of the workforce).

he was worried, but considering his expertise saved the company 10% of it's annual profit for the last 12 months i couldn't see him going (wish he was in commission as it's in the ten's of millions) ... pity really as after 30 years with the company would've seen a nice payout.

the downside of the retrenchments is that he now has to pick up the slack of the lost workers and out of his last two weeks holiday (to help with reno's) he had to go to work for half of the days anyhow.

makes one feel like taking 3 weeks and buggering out of mobile range - somewhere up the kimberleys would be nice.

The mental mindset of the JOB is hard to get over. Often overates in security, and encourages complacency.

May I offer the world.....da, to da, da!!! my KOMBI VAN theory.

it goes like this;

1. What matters most in life?
  2. Wife (and now child)
  3. Therefore if I take an risk and fail, how much $ do I need after failing to secure what maters most.
  4. $2kish to buy a KOMBI VAN to travel Aus with wife and still be happy

YES! this is a simple karma view point but the objective is, in the end....

health beats wealth,
happy wife beats many fights (aka divorce),
a good life beats lots of strife.

Most of us here are talented, go getters so when one doors closes, another opens.

Peter;)

Back