Lost job!

Not me but Mr Minx today.:mad:

Sigh.

What really irritates me is that he got head-hunted from his previous job that he'd been at for 10 years - though he did leave his old job with no hard feelings, so doesn't have anything to feel bad about.

He's a bit miserable - has worked since he was 15 (now 49) - only had 4 jobs in all that time and this is the first time he's been let go. It's not just him but the whole division, so it's not personal - but he's taking it hard, poor soul.

We'll have a glass of wine tonight and a toast to new beginnings.

It's a sad old world where loyalty and experience are not rewarded.

Sorry to hear that. Worse is that he is taking it hard. Was there any notice, or just pack up your things and finish up today?

Will he take some time to start looking for another job or start pounding the pavements tomorrow? How many in the division, and will he be competing against them for another job?

Are you able to maybe have a weekend away together to regather?

Sorry to hear that too.

I hope your husband can find something that he enjoys doing very soon.

All the best,

Regards Jason.

Sorry to hear that. Worse is that he is taking it hard. Was there any notice, or just pack up your things and finish up today?

Will he take some time to start looking for another job or start pounding the pavements tomorrow? How many in the division, and will he be competing against them for another job?

Are you able to maybe have a weekend away together to regather?

No 'pack up and off you go' type arrangement.

Ten other guys from his division. Mr Minx can do about six sort of inter-related jobs so he would not be in direct competition with them as they are younger and haven't been around so long in the industry.

He's okay. Just had wine and a curry, so feeling brighter!

He actually rang his old work today who were delighted to hear from him and are coming back to him with an offer early next week, so hopefully not much pavement pounding if they offer what he'd like.

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts.

I'd wish him luck, but he doesn't need it. He's got skill, loyalty and a supportive partner. Who couls ask for more.
Let us know how he goes with the discussion with his former employer.
These things happen for a reason. Something good will come of it, for sure.

It's a grim reminder to have insight into who you are working for.

Companies that go head hunting are frequently not as mature, expanding too rapidly in an unsustainable boom, don't have long term plans for retaining staff when things slow, have higher levels of debt etc etc.

I haven't hesitated in 2nd interviews to ask the interviewer for a copy of their last three years' balance sheets and PnLs, and future business and growth plans and how they intend to finance it.

me too WW! my interviewer about 6 years ago was completely taken aback by my question of

"and where do you see YOUR company in 3 years' time? are you well financed?"

me too WW! my interviewer about 6 years ago was completely taken aback by my question of

I've only had to do it twice though.....the first time was with Mobil Oil back in the early 80s, in Sydney. After the State Resales Manager recovered from hearing my question (third interview), he quite calmly said, "You do know a bit about how big Mobil is don't you?" I said "of course I do, but I also know Australia is a branch office controlled from New York, and I have no idea what rate of return the state of NSW currently contributes to capital invested. I also don't want to find out in 2 months that middle managment needs to be trimmed 20% and remaining staff need to carry the additional workload.

The guy must have seen it from my POV because I got the position, the youngest to ever do so. Mind you, this was in a nasty recession, so he probably accepted it. As it turned out, 6 months later, Mobil progressed talks with Exxon, and there was rationalization of wholesale and retail operations in Australia. I also had my workload upped 50% when a fellow staffer wasn't replaced due to budgetary constraints.

The second time was 2 year ago for permanent part time scientific writing for uni and ongoing doctor education. The MD was pompous (he's left now) and didn't appreciate the question (2nd interview), and I said it would be unwise of me at this point in life to board a small IT business blind, even if it was growing rapidly, which it was. We didn't pursue each other further.

I have been headhunted (and subsequently left) for two jobs. For me the key is getting security of tenure = min 3 years. If they wanna headhunt me then give me a time based contract too!

Minxdamanx - ditto other im sure it will work out fine.

BTW - I dont believe in 'company loyalty' anyway. The idea of loyalty assumes that you somehow stick around even when you shouldnt. I beleieve in Integrity but not loyalty. If your integrity radar says hang around then you should but not out of some sense of loyalty that cannot be reciprocated.

Most large business are incapable of showing true loyalty back so its an unfair trade. A famous business book actually describes most organisations as 'sociopaths' incapabale of having proper mature relationships with employees.

I say I dont believe in loyalty and yet I employ people - I have had many a chat where I tell them not to be loyal but to follow their own common sense -plus it makes me as a boss work harder to keep good people, and at the same time reminds people that as individuals they must take responsibility for their futures.

Cheers
Aussie

I agree AR. There's no place for putting loyalty to an employer before loyalty to self and family.

Companies are compelled to do what is in their best interest.
And individuals should do what is in their best interest.

The whole concept of employer employee is bogus.
There are only contracts/agreements between one party and another.

Look at General Motors....tries to make out it is some big invincible source of security.....same for Japanese commercial culture.....The cult of company worship is a dubious religion indeed.

Most companies don't pay a premium for loyalty....Whether you've been with them for 6 mths or 16 years, you aren't going to be making much more than the new guy who does a similar job. And it is even more pathetic in the public service.

If people want something to feel loyal towards, let it be their ongoing education regarding skills devt, supply demand developments in their industry, and the probability of their company being around in 5-10 years.

i've seen someone get headhunted recently , but receive a large payout, and then offers for more pay elsewhere. so although the initial shock was massive, some weeks later it had a very happy ending.

I heard of someone else be told to take voluntary leave till the company works out what to do because they didnt want to lose the people but couldnt pay them either.

There is a book featured on Dr phil show
the job search solution by tony bushera that gives alot of helpful advice. Dr phil beleives the author is top in this area. There are many books that can help with cv and directions.

Yes it is known to hit hard and to effect self esteem Thats why people say to make sure you are ahead 18 months that you have a buffer in case of emergency especially in these times, and if possible multiple sources of income.

There was one story of a family who lost jobs and they celebrated and made a small party and were determined to stay positive knowing better things were on the horizon. POsitive outlook can save our health in these times if possible.Easier said than done sometimes.

Francine.

Thanks all for comments, good thoughts and advice. WW - your thoughts especially have been taken on board.

Mr Minx is feeling a lot better, it was just a shock, even though it probably shouldn't have been as we'd discussed the possibility - there were some indications.

I spent yesterday getting a cv done and we've just had a quiet and productive weekend together getting some other things done around the home.

We have a two year buffer in place, so no immediate cause for concern, just as I said, a shock and a blow to self esteem.

He's having the coming week 'off', just seeing what his previous employer is offering and if that doesn't pan out it will be all steam-ahead in looking for a new position.

Take care all,

Can I ask what industry was hubbie in and is it a sign of stimulus runnning out and here come the job losses, as many of us have discussed here or simply bad luck.

FYI I was retrenched twice in the nineties recession and both times were positive experiences after (I admit) some tears the first time, being only 22 and newly marriaged and firstly mortgaged. First time I got a job ( ddorknocked) that taought me all I know re building and second I set up my first business which taught me that game. Would not have either had I stayed as is.

BTW I had also been headhunted/invited to that one, I think about it. Good insight there WW.

So celebrate to learn from the experience and thanks for the wisdon of never burning bridges as you dont know what the future brings.

A retrenchment often gives us the kick to take control because we have too. I have two businesses at the moment, one sucessful and mature and one fledgeling and I almost need a retrenchment from the first to have the time and focus for the second.

Good Luck, Peter

Peter,

Mr Minx work worked in sales and installation for security (screens, doors, shutters, alarms etc).

The company is a very big insurance company that had branched out into these areas but now looking at using sub-contractors.

All too true about never burning bridges!

Back