Lots of amendments to standard residential property purchase contract?

----- sorry its a looooong post =( ------- appreciate any replies thanks..

Hi, There is a property which I am particularly keen on, but received the contract yesterday, and noted that there were about 20+ amendments to the standard purchase contract? This is in NSW.

The standard contract runs till point 29. This one runs till point 42, some with multiple sections in each point.

Noted a couple of suspicious ones -
30.5.2 Delete clause 11.2 and add in lieu new clause 11.2:
"if the details of any work order are disclosed prior to the date of this Contract, the Purchaser must pay for and comply with such work order"

The original clause 11.2 reads "If the purchaser complies with a work order, and this contract is rescinded or terminated, the vendor must pay the expense of compliance to the purchaser"

This was added
33. State of Repair : the Purchaser relies upon the Purchaser's own enquiry regarding the present state of repair of the property or improvements to the property. No obection, requisition or claim for compensation may be made regarding the state or repair or condition (including patent or latent defects) of the property or improvements.

This was also added:
42. Requisitions on Title: The requisitions to be made by the Purchaser under clause 5.1 shall be in the form of requisitions attached to this Contract. Such requisitions shall be deemed to have been served by the Purchaser on the date of this Contract.

They have attached a set of Requisitions on Title along with the contract (which 42 seems to state the purchaser would have NO CHOICE but to use). The requisition list has a copyright notice at the bottom of the page "Copyright of the Law Society of NSW which has approved this page and following 1 page." There is NO following 1 page, just 1 single first page. The Law Society requistion on title list ends at 16 (no subpoints). Is it missing a page?

Does point 42. mean that if Building and Pest finds something, I have no room to negotiate lowered price, or fixing or defects?

Thought we had finally found the perfect property, and now i dont dare make an offer. Sent the contract thru to my lawyer, but probably wont hear back till early or middle next week.. bummer, was planning to make an offer this weekend.

Are these clauses something to be genuinely concerned about, or can they all be managed? thanks.

I'm seeing these additional clauses more and more. I don't think they are anything to be concerned about. You get a 5 business day cooling off period in NSW anyway. This can often be negotiated to 10 days. This gives you time to get a pest and building done as well as formal finance approval. If you don't like the results or can't negotiate a lower price (if necessary) then simply rescind the contract in the cooling off period.

Go ahead and make your offer.

I'm seeing these additional clauses more and more. I don't think they are anything to be concerned about. You get a 5 business day cooling off period in NSW anyway. This can often be negotiated to 10 days. This gives you time to get a pest and building done as well as formal finance approval. If you don't like the results or can't negotiate a lower price (if necessary) then simply rescind the contract in the cooling off period.

Go ahead and make your offer.

With the shoe on the other foot, I doubt your seller would like it if u had 10 of ur own conditions in there

In qld a lot of buyers have some interesting clauses in their offers which can cause sellers to choose a simpler offer.

I guess a lot of buyers will feel like you do with these conds, and the seller may be working against themselves?

Ta

Rolf

I can identify at least 1 problem which has probably led to the seller putting these very protective clauses in. There is a bee hive inside the kitchen wall. Did not think much of it at first, initially thought it would be simple to remove, but on doing a google search realise I will have to tear out the cabinets, rip out the dry wall and get rid of all dead bees, honey and beeswax from the inside of the house. That is after killing all bees from the outside, limited access, and on an upper level. Seems the longer the hive is in place the harder to remove as the nest will be bigger. It might even have gone up into the attic space, where I would have to tear out the ceiling. Current owners r avid gardeners so I imagine the hive has been there awhile.

Even without knowledge of this problem I would be hesitant putting in a full priced offer. As it stands now the price I would pay for the property is maybe 50k down from my original valuation, and I doubt this will be accepted, hence I doubt I will offer. We are already considering another property instead. Pity.

As it stands now the price I would pay for the property is maybe 50k down from my original valuation, and I doubt this will be accepted, hence I doubt I will offer.

These conditions imposed on normal residential properties hardly ever amount to a hill of beans.

Work out what the land is worth, work out what the improvements on the land are worth, add the two together and submit an offer.

You either put in an offer and wait for the response or walk away.

Second guessing what the Vendor might do, and wringing your hands and worrying about their response is folly.

Make a decision.

Back