lottery winners

This English lad won £9,736,131 (then US$15.4m) on the National Lottery in November 2002, aged 19. He blew it on illegal drugs, prostitutes and gambling and declared himself bankrupt on 18th February, 2010.

In May, 2010, it was reported that Michael had applied for a job as a bin man and stated he had no regrets in how he spent the money he had won on the National Lottery. In August, 2011, Michael attempted to commit suicide twice. In the early part of 2012, Michael was in court once more after being accused of stealing some Strongbow and a sandwich.

http://www.euro-millions.org/uk/532/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Carroll_lottery_winner

michael-carroll.jpg

==================================

I found this story on Reddit about a guy who won US$30m.
It's posted in the "I am a ........, ask me anything" section where he answers questions.

¦ How much did you actually get?

A little under 20 million.

¦ What did you do when you found out you won?

Made photocopies of the ticket and contacted a lawyer.

¦ what was the first thing you bought?

My first "lottery" purchase was a safe.

¦ what was the most ridiculous thing you bought?

T-rex animatronic head used in Jurassic Park. It cost me $90K and sits right behind my sofa.

¦ How much did you give to others (charity, family etc)?

I gave my parents and sister $1M each, donated another million to a scholarship fund. Paid off the debt of lifelong friends (total cost was about $200K).

¦ How badly do people pester you for handouts (for business, charity etc)?

When it first happened I was deluged by people I hadn't seen in years asking me for help, telling me their SOB stories, and wanting to start a business. I bought into a lot of it at first but you quickly become hardened and learn to say no. I haven't been asked for money in a few years now, largely because I've been traveling.

¦ How do you plan on living the rest of your life?

My first decision was to do nothing. But nothing gets boring fast

¦ How did you invest it?

Various mutual funds and a full time financial advisor who is in turn monitored by a full time accountant... who is then audited in secret by a team of auditors.

I saw a program recently which looked at some lottery winners. Some of them had lost it all, and some had thrived.

One person said "Winning the lottery is like throwing Miracle Grow on your character defects".

Back