Love Google Earth: Great for checking out properties

Being in IT I thought I'd share with all. I'm sure most of you have heard/used this already but I thought just in case....

I love google earth, download at http://earth.google.com/. It shows satellite photos, in lots of detail for Australia's main cities (very detailed for American cities). Great for looking at suburbs and I love marking my investment properties I've bought on the map and zooming in on them.

Fascinating to look at the difference structures of Aus cities as well I grew up in Canberra and the city is so damn planned and roundabout heaven compared to Sydney :p

It is very cool I reckon. problem is outside of Capital Cities the resolution is not so good.

But fun all the same - great for kids too exploring around and finding famous things like Eiffel Tower etc.

Cheers,

Yes I've used Google Earth to check out houses, too. For example, looking at houses on realestate.com.au, and the UBD map it usually provides, of the rough location of the property. Bring up the same 'map' in Google Earth, and you can see exactly what the street looks like, etc...

I like it. :)

I use it regularly to look at Perth properties. It gives me a really good idea of the block the property is on and also of the surrounding area.

Anyone seen the plane on Mascot runway that appears to be bleeding (some sort of photographic colour separation due to high speed of plane vs surroundings) or the crop circles in the UK? Have had a lot of fun with the google earth program.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/226973/an/0/page/0#226973

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/227061/an/0/page/0#227061

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/250255

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Number/240275

Ajax

Last edited:
I've got to agree - it's great !!! But can be time limited......

In my case, it shows a property to the West of one of mine that BURNT DOWN 2 years ago !!! So don't depend on it being up too up to date.

Still, it DOES show the basic layout of a community very well - and most things don't change THAT markedly over time anyway,

Regards,

G'Day

Although I love Google Earth - tilting the plane and seeing the horizon is great fun,and sending the relatives the page dump from over the top of their house is also rather thrilling, if I'm looking for a specific property then I hitch a ride on the Ray White system for sharper clarity and property boundaries!!!

However, this takes a lot of patience and cunning.

First, go to the Ray White webpage www.raywhite.com.au

Next, look for properties for sale in the area you want to view.

Then, you have to crab walk from map to map until you get to the address you want. Takes some time - I usually have the Ray White open and the www.whereis.com.au open in another window, so I have a street map to help me get my bearings.

Once I find where I am going, you can zoom in to view the cobwebs under the eaves if you like (well, almost!).

The free Google Earth is rather fuzzy, the Ray White system is really clear.

Have fun! Be aware, it's addictive!

Cheers

Kristine

Kristine.. said:
Then, you have to crab walk from map to map until you get to the address you want. Takes some time - I usually have the Ray White open and the www.whereis.com.au open in another window, so I have a street map to help me get my bearings.
I just wasted 1/2 hour on that :eek:

I found a better way that crab walking though. Zoom right out (zoom keys just above the map), then click in the area you want to see to centre the map, then zoom right in. Works a treat, and I agree, much better than Google Earth as good as it is.

Ajax, have a look at Cairo airport. I went looking for the pyramids and started at the airport to get my bearings. There was a large plane that had skidded off the runway.
If you know anybody in the US, ask them for their address. My cousin moved to Seattle last year. I put his address in google earth and it went straight to his house.
It's great for visiting by air places you've visited on the ground - Rome and the Vatican (where you can see the backyard), London and the Palace (good backyard view, too). Last time I looked The Whitehouse was having some landscaping done. In New York you can hover over Ground Zero.
It was also great when New Orleans got flooded to be able to have a look at the layout of the city. The google pictures are pre flood, but when you hover the cursor it tells you height above sea level of the ground. No wonder so much of the city went under.
Yes, it's adictive.
Scott

Progress claims..

We are waiting for a time where Google Earth saves us time doing progress claims!

Our banking clients might be a bit suss though when we include Google earth pics in our report rather than normal digital photos though!

Yep I have all my property portfolio programed into it. Just press the button and Im taken on a guided tour by air around Australia. More a novelty than anything else as far as using it for up current research - Its at least a couple years out of date. Tho it does give you a better understanding of your new proposed target area from a Macro level, and also for working out exact distances from point A to point B.

Kristine.. said:
First, go to the Ray White webpage www.raywhite.com.au

Next, look for properties for sale in the area you want to view.

Kristine, I must be having a stupid day. I tried that, but when I found the property I wanted to look at, couldn't find a link to a map. Where is it?:eek:

skater said:
Kristine, I must be having a stupid day. I tried that, but when I found the property I wanted to look at, couldn't find a link to a map. Where is it?:eek:

Skater, I got confused as well, but eventually worked it out. Go to the Ray White homepage and start a search for property. Once you have a list of properties to view look near the top left hand side of the screen and you will see an icon called 'view map'. Click here and you are away! It's a great facility!

Stewie said:
Skater, I got confused as well, but eventually worked it out. Go to the Ray White homepage and start a search for property. Once you have a list of properties to view look near the top left hand side of the screen and you will see an icon called 'view map'. Click here and you are away! It's a great facility!

Ok I've done that but all I get is a street map no satelite views even tho the satelite box is ticked.....what next:confused:

Stewie said:
Ok, looked really hard, but found no icon for 'view map'.:eek:

Looks great for searches in Sydney. I found that for Adelaide there is no satellite imagery, but just maps, so I guess they haven't provided it for every city (yet?).

Great tool though, I hope they increase their coverage in the near future!

Martin Vdb said:
Looks great for searches in Sydney. I found that for Adelaide there is no satellite imagery, but just maps, so I guess they haven't provided it for every city (yet?).

Great tool though, I hope they increase their coverage in the near future!

Id say that must be the case here in Perth then .

Back