lovely restaurant, pity about the bad tenant

Also depends on the standard of retail property you're talking about. Group of 3 shops on a main road in the middle of suburbia - may have problems with whinging small business tenants, long vacancies, stagnant rent, disputes over maintenance responsibility etc. A lot of this would be a reflection on the type of tenant you've attracted.

On the other hand a premium retail strip location - great rent that's continually increasing, very little vacancy (if any), national tenants, brilliant capital growth, and IMO if tenants know what's good for them - not much whinging! Assuming the building isn't falling apart, there's still very little the LL has to do in a retail concrete box. Although I guess it does depend on lease details that are negotiated.

I'll let you know when I've snared one of those Steve.........maybe even cut my teeth on a simple Centro to start with :D

CU@thetop, the retail that would appeal to me would be a couple side by side in a Zone 1 train locale for developing mixed use.........something I wouldn't mind having a go at keeping retail on floor, offices above and resi 1 & 2 bedders above. Beyond my comfort level to tackle something like that in this credit climate though.

Good luck with your deal and please share when you are comfortable doing so.

Back