Low cost bulk conveyancing options in Sydney

Surely you would know whether it is going to be a complex transaction before signing contracts - based on which way the wind is blowing?

750 + gst for my conveyancer in melb...Transaction on 12...I know my conveyancer would do a deal...No need for lawyer when they have that on hand if need be.I find my conveyancer very officient,wouldn't use anyone else.

Ps.Lawyers imo are at the end of the barrell as far as i'm concerned,they charge the earth and what do you get?Like eg:1k per hr?Farout.

Pss.Eg:I am 3k poorer after a lawyer represented me in dandy court,for what?1 1/2 hrs sitting around and 1/2 talking jibberish in court?In hindsight i could have done a better job lol.

Wow that escalated quickly lol....Thank you Pro Town Planners for you very aggressive and condescending reply. No need to have a tantrum though, it only reflects badly on yourself hahaha.

Now I can understand if you are a solicitor you may not agree with my post, but the fact is that solicitors usually charge a substantially higher price than a licensed conveyancer. Now if some transactions are complex then a solicitor is warranted, however for basic residential transactions, there is often no need to engage a solicitor. Despite your obviously biased opinion, a licensed conveyancer is suitably qualified as determined by the department of fair trading and the Australian Institute of Conveyancers.

So next time you don't agree with an opinion, instead of carrying on like two year old and degrading an entire profession, maybe you should actually state some facts to support you opinion. BTW, solicitors are not immune from giving bad advice, there are good ones and bad ones just like any other profession.

And no im not a conveyancer, im actually a CPA Accountant and property invester who over the years have used the services of both solicitors and conveyancers.

I think the property industry benefits from having both options available and I have to say that im very surprised at the level of unprofessionalism being displayed on here by some solicitors. Come on guys lift your game, your not doing any favours to your cause.

I guess you could compare getting a tax return done by a 'tax agent' down Thaitown for $40 to getting a CPA and registered tax agent with a masters in tax doing the return.

Actually Terry W that is a great example and im glad you brought that up as it highlights my points perfectly.

As a CPA I completely respect the tax agent profession as they serve a purpose in the industry. In my opinion it would by silly for a CPA with a masters to undertake a basic tax return as its not economical for the client or the CPA to do this type of work. There is a need in the industry to have both options available for the clients.

Now if you go back and read my post, I have never sought to compare the services offered by a conveyancer and solicitor, they offer two different levels of service and assurance and its up to the client to determine what level of service and assurance they want. Ironically though, on two occasions where I have used the services of a solicitors firm, the bulk of the work was undertaken by a Licensed Conveyancer within their firm. From what I have witnessed over the years this is quite common and many law firm employ Conveyancers to do this work which is a bit hypocritical really if these firms hold the same views as the posts above.

The solicitor will use a clerk to do the conveyancing work anyway so it's not really different from a conveyancer. The main difference is the PI insurance and the legal expertise for more complicated matters, but budget conveyancers have their place of course.

Ryza the thing is with property transactions there no real way to predict which transaction will have problems or be difficult.

It might be like a simple tax agent taking a client on only to find out it is a complex trust tax return.

Now if some transactions are complex then a solicitor is warranted, however for basic residential transactions, there is often no need to engage a solicitor. Despite your obviously biased opinion, a licensed conveyancer is suitably qualified as determined by the department of fair trading and the Australian Institute of Conveyancers.

That is just like saying that you don't need a valuer through the API but will be satisfied with one who is registered with Fair Trading or an agent's appraisal.

Ever considered DIY conveyancing? I am sure that you can save even more.

While we're at it, let's cut those low life agents out as well. The hide of them charging for advertising on the Web when we know that webvertising is free ;) If they have buyers on waiting lists, why shouldn't I be getting a substantial discount if it is going out to the agent's networks?

The solicitor will use a clerk to do the conveyancing work anyway so it's not really different from a conveyancer. The main difference is the PI insurance and the legal expertise for more complicated matters, but budget conveyancers have their place of course.

If things were always simple then there would be no need for a solicitor but how do you know what the purchaser is and whether a conveyancer is up to the task eg. dealing with a smsf, a trust, corporate, intestate party who dies or became bankrupt during settlement?

If things were always simple then there would be no need for a solicitor but how do you know what the purchaser is and whether a conveyancer is up to the task eg. dealing with a smsf, a trust, corporate, intestate party who dies or became bankrupt during settlement?

Well I always use solicitors for my transactions but I can understand why people do use budget conveyancers. You never think you are in the minority with complicated matters do you?

We don't use clerks, we only use solicitors. Pretty sure Terry W is the same.

We don't use clerks, we only use solicitors. Pretty sure Terry W is the same.

Well Darryl, then you are in the minority. Solicitors use their clerks for the conveyance as it is generally a more mundane and less skill-based task than doing a court case or advising on structure.

I guess this is one of those issues where everyone has an agenda and their own opinion and will never agree.

Unfortunately for solicitors though, like it or not, the government changed the legislation and created the licensed conveyancing profession, they broke the monopoly once held with solicitors leading to more competition and substantially lowered fees for end consumers, and in the process, removed barriers of entry into the property market. This has been very beneficial to the property market over the long term.

Something to ponder everyone , I wonder why the government felt the need to step in and interfere with the legal industry?

I guess this is one of those issues where everyone has an agenda and their own opinion and will never agree.

Unfortunately for solicitors though, like it or not, the government changed the legislation and created the licensed conveyancing profession, they broke the monopoly once held with solicitors leading to more competition and substantially lowered fees for end consumers, and in the process, removed barriers of entry into the property market. This has been very beneficial to the property market over the long term.

Something to ponder everyone , I wonder why the government felt the need to step in and interfere with the legal industry?

I don't practice conveyancing myself as it is too much work for the money and I like to focus on other areas. I refer my clients to a property lawyer with 10 years experience who charges less than some conveyancers.

Yes, conveyancers are a fact of life, in NSW anyway, and prices have dropped substantially because of the competition. There are plenty of good conveyancers out there too, some of whom would know more about conveyancing than me and I have used conveyancers myself even though I am a solicitor.

No conveyancers allowed in QLD, all has to be done through law firms. BUT a lot do use clerks and have a high clerk to solicitor ratio.

I don't do the hatchet work in my firm but I usually control certain critical parts of the process:
Letter no 1 to client
Building and finance approval
vetting Transfer docs
vetting searches
Settlement figures.

No need for a lawyer to do everything IMHO.

Back