Low maintenance IPs in Bris-GoldCoast-Sunshine C

Hi,
Friends from interstate are looking for 2 and 3 investment townhouses in GC(townhouse because low maintenance) and mentioned Oxenford, Arundel etc
1./What is your opinions on investing in this area ?
For low maintenance type IPs in Bris and to GC and to Sunshine C corridor, what would be your take re. where and what ?

Thanks

hi, Your friends should consider buying around Parkwood and Labrador 'cause its close to the Uni and there is talk of a new hospital to be built in this area. Rather then Oxenford consider Mudgeeraba and Merrimac area. Close to the highway but 10-15 minutes to the beach.

Hi Salsa,

In all honesty, I have not found much of a difference in maintenance (in Melbourne at least) between houses, townhouse/villas, and units/apartments in our portfolio.

I have a house that's 90 years old, and a townhouse/villa unit that's 5 years old and in reality, its seems to be much of a muchness thus far (PM just called about villa unit needing new down pipe and garage door)

Cheers,

The Y-man

townhouses might appear lower maintenance, but consider body corporate and losing power to whoever muscles their way into making the decisions, and maintenance expenses associated with common areas (gardens, pool, spa, gym, driveways, fences, gates, intercoms).

A block of 5 I am involved with currently have a gardener, a pool man, and a wheelie bin cleaner come in once a week 52 weeks a year. Real overkill IMHO, but that was passed at BC years ago. The other residents are PPORers and older, and don't like smellie bins....Suppose they think if they keep the overheads high, it will keep the investors away.....and ensure owner occupiers predominate...OOers don't like the uncertainty associated with a stream of tenant turnovers....

Another situation I have faced recently is trying to get a reverse cycle air con installed in an older unit. One of the other owners is an electrician and the BC paid him as a consult, and he ruled that the mains from the road couldn't support air con to all units, therefore no one could install it. We got another opinion that advised he was speaking through his b*m, but we had to argue heatedly against him in the BC meeting. All unnecessary stress...

and as mentioned on other threads recently, always pays to see the BC books, and a schdeule of all maintenance done in the last 5 or so years, sinking funds for future maintenance, and bank statement, and legal search for encumbrances on BC.

I have also experienced higher tenant turnover with units/townhouses then houses. And it is more likely that more new townhouses will be built then houses in teh future, thus satiating demand somewhat.

Other advantage of a house, esp if near the uni is you can get good rent from 3+ students who share.

Hi Salsa,

I agree with Y-man. Why do your friends what a townhouse? Houses have more capital gain due to a higher land content and no body corporate which means higher rental yields.

House prices are droping in Upper Coomera and Nerang. I don't like Merrimac because it is a flood plain which could be disasterous in the event of the pending 100 year flood.

Cheers,

Bazza

Thanks for your responses.
I don't have much experience with units/townhouses as I have always been the "old house in old burbs " type. When friends asked me about townhouses down the coast I thought I should ask (you don't know what you don't know ..etc), hence my questions.
Today we drove our friends around those areas (oxenford and the likes) looking at a few units , high 190K for a 15 yrs old 2 beds one bath rent about 190pw, low-mid 200K for 3 beds. I like Paradise Point. I also got sidetrack and more attracted to the beach front land at Solvereign island but at 1.9 to 2.2M a block, it's another story....

I think I will tell them my opinion but at the end of the day it's their decision. They are just doing their own "independent investigation" at the moment, they told me they would buy the units through TIC anyway , cos they said by buying thru The Club the complex's manager will treat their IPs with higher priority i.e. theirs will get tenanted first , other vacant units NOT bought via The Club will have to wait...
Apparently I heard if you are financially qualified, one of the Club's member (REA) will drive you around ALL DAY to show you those club approved IPs for free. This person would get commission only when you decide to buy. Neat.

yeah Sals, up to them at the end of the day.

Maybe they are putting a lot of weight on the observation that units and townhouses lag houses in booms, and they think there is more growth left in units and townhouses.

However, I accept that more and more working couples are preferentially renting low maintenance stuff, in an effort to claw back better quality down time.

Bazza said:
Houses have more capital gain due to a higher land content
a

I tend to disagree.

Its not the land content, or whether its a house or townhouse, villa etc that determines the level of Capital growth.

If it was, then land out beyond the black stump would the same price as city with oceans views.

Land, houses or townhouses are just the commodity. Its the level of demand for the commodity that ultimately determines the Capital Growth.

Last edited:
Yes Rixter agree 100% demand will dictate price, that is always correct.

I assume same burb = same demand at a broad level. i.e. if towhouses are pf higher demand than houses (in same burb ) then you can make 2 townhouses from an oldhouse with large land, you cannot do the same with a townhouse . That 's the value of the land as i see it.

I have lived on the Gold Coast for about 2 years and have an investment property there.

Gold Coast is a very transient place. People move in and out all the time. That's why IMO you want to invest in suburbs where the locals would love to live.

Assuming you don't have a million dollar budget, I would stay away from the beach as I think there are just way too many apartments.

As for Arundel, it is a middle class suburb. It really has nothing special going for it. It is not near the beach, doesn't really have the nice cafes or restaurants and frankly don't really have a nice reputations. Most of the developers are concentrating their efforts elsewhere. Residents are usually blue collar workers.

Oxenford is too far from where the action is, so you are most likely to get the poorer tenants.

My property is in Robina. It is a suburb back from the beach, has Bond University 5 minutes away, Robina Town Centre 2 minutes away, train to Brisbane and private schools nearby. The place is awesome as well. I picked up a 3 bedroom townhouse for $275k about 2 years ago. It has been rented out from day one, currently at $295 per week.

If you want my recommendation - Robina, Ashmore, Benowa, Bundall and some parts of Southport.

Back