Mackay - Bowen Basin 2nd Boom

News today from Mackay
Makes good reading

Boom 2 on its way
May 24, 2008

FOR anyone looking forward to the end of the mining boom, there is bad news. It's not coming.
In its place will be a second boom, Boom Two, which will pump about 15,000 new jobs into the mining industry, along with millions of dollars into our region's economy.

The Bowen Basin is already looking forward to 55 new coal mining projects, with 33 of those in the Mackay district. Only three of those are expansions: Kestrel, Carborough Downs and Isaac Plains. Some are still waiting on government approval.

To put that kind of growth in perspective Mackay currently has about 32 coal mines on its doorstep.

The Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics (ABARE) identified 16 new coal projects in just the six months leading up to October 2007. One of the largest coal mine developments in Queensland will be the Rio Tinto open-cut mine near Clermont.

The mining giant will invest $860 million and the mine will be expected to produce 12.2 million tonnes of thermal coal a year from 2010, replacing the capacity from Blair Athol mine.

A conservative estimate by Queensland Resources Council chief executive Michael Roche was that in the 2008-09 financial year, there would be $2.5 and $3 billion in royalties heading to the Queensland Government coffers, much of it from the Bowen Basin.

"Based on current demand, Queensland's coal exports are forecast to grow by around 42% by 2010 and by a further 40% by 2015," Mr Roche said.

"Prices for the next financial year point to hoisting the value of coal production in Queensland from $18 billion to $38 billion in less than two years."

Mackay will also face significant challenges as population growth parallels the booming mining sector.

State Government estimates show Mackay can expect to have nearly 130,000 people by 2026 about 40,000 or 42% more residents who will call our booming city home.

REDC chief executive officer Narelle Pearse said even with the challenges, Boom Two was something to look forward to.

"Not everyone is going to be happy economic prosperity puts the pressure on too," Ms Pearse said.

"Things are changing at a rapid pace."

Ms Pearse said one of the challenges of Boom Two would be: Where do the 15,000 new staff come from?

"They either bring them into the region, which affects affordability, or they take people from other industries like retail, hospitality and agriculture."

However, she was positive about the region's ability to cope.

"Boom One we didn't see coming, Boom Two we know about. Any improvements to Mackay will make it an even better place to live."

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/storydisplay.cfm?storyid=3773536

Thanks for sharing Novar. Bring it on I say. I am about to start looking for a tenant for a fully furnished, self contained and serviced 3 bed house in Mackay. We've not gone this way before, but the constant no vacancy signs on the motels and big migration of workers made us think it seems a good idea. We will soon find out.

Louise

Louise, I assume that you refer to a unit complete with cutlery, sheets and flat screen. Apart from the higher PM fees it should work well. (And you are happy with s/hand stuff around the house :))

I know there is unsatisfied demand a little north.

Thanks for sharing Novar. Bring it on I say. I am about to start looking for a tenant for a fully furnished, self contained and serviced 3 bed house in Mackay. We've not gone this way before, but the constant no vacancy signs on the motels and big migration of workers made us think it seems a good idea. We will soon find out.

Louise

We've got a self cont 2 bed unit downstairs too. My daughter lives there now but when she goes I will be advertsing it as short term 4 days off accom for miners.

Good Luck with yours

Louise, I assume that you refer to a unit complete with cutlery, sheets and flat screen. Apart from the higher PM fees it should work well. (And you are happy with s/hand stuff around the house :))

I know there is unsatisfied demand a little north.

Yes, only it is a fully rebuilt queenslander style house on a large block. We are going to self manage as I have yet to find a PM who deals with the inevitable minor issues of even a standard rental promptly and efficiently.

We currently have all the furniture and contents stored at our ppor. Problem is, it is all better than our 'stuff' and we keep finding uses for it. The kids will be devastsed when I take away their TV's and new comfy cushions.:eek:.

Louise.

Yes, only it is a fully rebuilt queenslander style house on a large block. We are going to self manage as I have yet to find a PM who deals with the inevitable minor issues of even a standard rental promptly and efficiently.

We currently have all the furniture and contents stored at our ppor. Problem is, it is all better than our 'stuff' and we keep finding uses for it. The kids will be devastsed when I take away their TV's and new comfy cushions.:eek:.

Louise.

We've just moved our rentals to Hugh Reilly, we are very happy with their management. One tenant has had 2 breaches for overdue rent in a month. Usually a week behind ...He's just busy/slack not a non payer and they are on to him.

I've dealt with probably 4/5 agencies in the past 10 years, they are te BEST w've ever dealt with.

How did it go?

Ethereal,

How did the rental go?

We are also buying a house with this in mind, but I am just not sure about the fully furnished bit. You know what the agencies are like- they try to put you of furnishing,But the new house has 7 bedrooms and is just to good to just let out. I know I can get $550 a week for it, but fully furnished to a company seems better, ( and more fun because I can then furnish it and claim depreciation for my hobby!)
We own a unit at the Harbour and it rents for $700 per week, fully furnished.

Any one else had any experience in Mackay with this kind of rental- a house not a unit?

Or even just letting out by the room?( more than 4 rooms in the one house)

It is going very well for a start, thank goodness. Getting to this point has been a bit of an ordeal. I'd like to review it in 12 months and see how consistently it is let.

Louise

Bust

With the economy the way it is and mines laying off people. Prices are free falling.

I have a unit that was brought just over 12 months ago. I paid 240K for it, now lucky to get 210K for it.

When I was looking this was the cheapest I could find. So I have lost more than 15%.

Think times are over for Mackay in the next several years. I will just have to wait until prices to raise again. If they do.

Any one agree??

Last edited:
The boom will come back. Coal prices are indirectly tied to oil prices. NYMEX oil (light) price futures are sitting at $US 58 per barrel for Jan 2010 delivery ($US 35 for Feb 09 delivery).

And I still believe in peak oil.

OK, it may come back, but it may be a few years off.

Lets hope it comes above where it is now.

I think we may have seen the peak come and go now for the Bowen Basin.

The dream years are in the past.

There is still an awful lot of coal infrastructure being planned for the Bowen Basin right now. Until that infrastructure gets cancelled Im not prepared to call it dead.

Understood, but I am aware of several large mines that are laying of staff.

I think 2009 will be the year they start to wind back.

I am not being negative, however justed stating what I seeing lately.

Property prices have taken a plunge. Like I orginally stated my unit has probaly lost around 40k.

Understood, but I am aware of several large mines that are laying of staff.

And other mines have been putting some on.

Saturday Courier had mining jobs and some articles in the mercury have shown sacked contractors getting jobs elsewhere pretty quick.

I think the levels are just getting back to normality, to a level they can cope with.

Dave

hi all
a very interesting market mackay
there is alot of sites sat there doing nothing as mfs were the lenders and they went west and look alot of developers with them
they are in courts all over the place and can't do anything until lenders go in and at the moment non will.
on top of this holding costs are thru the roof and values have corrected
the mines are on hold but thats just building up demand.
so it will be very interesting when that dam breaks
I have sites on my desk taht are 105% of todays lvrs so if they built would lose money
some one has to bite the bullet and nothing will happen until
the mines start to go off
or the courts bring down judgements and the liquidators for the funders and I think there is about 5 funds gone west in that area.
until they start to wipe debt
and these are big wipes.
one client is up for about 55 mil in damages and he has a liquidator on his side and they have a liquidator on theirs
so mackay is a fun place at the moment with very little funders wanting to stick their toes in there.
so I am very interested at this stage in the place

Heads up- Rents are moving in Mackay
It's still a buyers market but not for long IMO

Family member with 2 bed duplex just raised rent to $380 from $285 with new tenant.

I've purchased a small older 2 bedder on a great block for $320,000 getting $390pw.

Accountant told me rent for older 2 bed upstairs/downstairs in block of units Juliet St area getting $410

Here's a couple of examples
(sold within days, not to me ) :mad:
ONLY $329 LIVE IN OR RENT OUT $500 PW UNFURNISHED OR $650 PW FURNISHED
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-west+mackay-107609687

(I suspect this would be leased to company)
THIS IS A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY FOR THE INVESTOR WITH THE POTENTIAL TO EARN $1200.00pw
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-mount+pleasant-107614582

There are new rental agencies spring up, it's these agencies pushing the rents. 20+ applicants for each rental

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/story/2011/07/19/450-on-waiting-list-for-rentals/

We've just upped the rent on one of our properties in Glenella/Northview to $410pw. 10yo 3br/2bath brick. Was at $375 prior to that.
We advertised it ourselves in the local weekend shopper and had 23 calls and 6 parties came to have a look. Even had one offer higher than the asking price after finding out that it was to be leased to someone else. Crazy stuff.

We've just had a 2 lot subdivision approved in Andergrove and are looking at renting the once complete house(s) furnished and see what they bring in.

Interesting times.

Novar - where'd you pick up the 2 br @ $320k?

We've just upped the rent on one of our properties in Glenella/Northview to $410pw. 10yo 3br/2bath brick. Was at $375 prior to that.
Oh bugger, I think you could have got more than that. Hope it's on a 6 mth lease. :D

The one I bought is West mackay

No, it's a 12 mth lease, but we're self managing this one this time - so we're about $80 a week better off when you take away agent's fees. Not complaining at all!!

Back