Mackay Subdivision Costs

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently doing a subdivision in Mackay and I keep coming across costs that I wasn't aware of (probably due to the lack of my own research, but I engaged a town planner and engineer who I thought would be well aware of the costs involved up front).

So far I have paid over $35,000.00 in council fees and have just received another quote for $5,298.00 for the installation of a water meter. I thought this was excessive and it has been broken down to the following -

Plumber - Labour 6.5 Hours - $572.00
Labourer - Labour - 6.5 Hours - $455.00
Labour - Operators x 2 - $962.00
Plant Hire - 6T Truck - $104.00
Plant Hire - Hydro Vac Truck - $448.50
Plant Hire - Loader/Backhoe - $286.00
Plant Hire - Tipper Truck - $162.50
Contractors - Locations - $132.00
Contractors - Razorcut - $275.00
Contractors - Traffic Control - $561.28
Materials - Hot Mix - $660.00
Materials - Fittings - $198.10
Plus GST

When I rang up to query the quote they were very defensive straight away, and told me 'that's just what it is'. I wanted to know why Hot Mix was required when the water main according to plans I have is near the foot path.

Do these costs appear to be appropriate, is there any point trying to find our more information or am I just best off paying it so that the project can commence?

I guess I'm just annoyed with council as part of my Development Application requirements from council is to replace the entire span of footpath in front of the properties and at 58m isn't cheap. I also queried asked if I would get a refund if the job was quicker than quoted and was told no, if anything you may get a bill.

Cheers

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently doing a subdivision in Mackay and I keep coming across costs that I wasn't aware of (probably due to the lack of my own research, but I engaged a town planner and engineer who I thought would be well aware of the costs involved up front).

So far I have paid over $35,000.00 in council fees and have just received another quote for $5,298.00 for the installation of a water meter. I thought this was excessive and it has been broken down to the following -

Plumber - Labour 6.5 Hours - $572.00
Labourer - Labour - 6.5 Hours - $455.00
Labour - Operators x 2 - $962.00
Plant Hire - 6T Truck - $104.00
Plant Hire - Hydro Vac Truck - $448.50
Plant Hire - Loader/Backhoe - $286.00
Plant Hire - Tipper Truck - $162.50
Contractors - Locations - $132.00
Contractors - Razorcut - $275.00
Contractors - Traffic Control - $561.28
Materials - Hot Mix - $660.00
Materials - Fittings - $198.10
Plus GST

When I rang up to query the quote they were very defensive straight away, and told me 'that's just what it is'. I wanted to know why Hot Mix was required when the water main according to plans I have is near the foot path.

Do these costs appear to be appropriate, is there any point trying to find our more information or am I just best off paying it so that the project can commence?

I guess I'm just annoyed with council as part of my Development Application requirements from council is to replace the entire span of footpath in front of the properties and at 58m isn't cheap. I also queried asked if I would get a refund if the job was quicker than quoted and was told no, if anything you may get a bill.

Cheers

Very high rates for everyone. $70 p/h for a basic labourer? And look at the plumber. He thinks he's the CEO of Macquarie Bank. They're dreamin'. I'd get another quote and point out that the good times in Mackay are rapidly fading away.

Very high rates for everyone. $70 p/h for a basic labourer? And look at the plumber. He thinks he's the CEO of Macquarie Bank. They're dreamin'. I'd get another quote and point out that the good times in Mackay are rapidly fading away.

I charge out my T/As a higher rate than the plumber. My tradesmen are higher again. They are still sharp rates compared to the better times.

Mackay has been getting busier the past few weeks. Most people are well booked for work before Xmas including us, and right into the new year.

We may be far off the good times, but Mackay is far more rescilient that you obviously give credit for.

Worth chasing another quote, but you won't fair too much better I'm afraid.

pinkboy

What you are going to find out very quickly is all the Plumbers will know each other,maybe just take the first quote up-front because the next one may well be higher,then you try the first quote and he tells you wait till next year and blows the whole set-up out of the water because most trades will intertwine with the Plumbers in one way or another..

As the mindset about the CEO of Mac-Bank and the Plumber it will have taken the Plumber 6 years plus to become lic,just something to think about..

Unfortunately I can't get another quote as it is council infrastructure so therefore council are required to carry out the work and this is their quote.

I guess I was seeing if there was any point in interrogating council more over the quote and if I would get anywhere.

Anyway yesterday afternoon I got another phone call from council and was told that the water main is 3 meters away from the footpath in the middle of the road and that is the reason for the increased costs. Not sure why their plans differ from what the engineer has. I decided to suck it up and pay it so I could just get on with the project.

I had started this project when times were better, but due to delays with engineers, council etc it is only getting off the ground now.

Agree with you pinkboy, Mackay is a lot more resilient than most people give it credit for.

Back