Mad Australian Police fined me for driving on right hand lane of freeway

What's going on?

Have the police force turn to Nazi troops?

I was stopped the other day on the freeway by the stupid police, and he said I was driving on the right hand side of the freeway (there were 3 lanes). I said yes, I just overtook some bunch of cars back there. THen he said, ya it's an offence to drive on right hand side if you're not overtaking. But I said there is nobody behind me for 1km, I was not obstructing anyone. If I were obstructing someone I would certainly give way.
He said driving on right hand side is discourteous. I asked him, who was I being discourteous to when there was no cars around or behind me?

THen he said "look, if you were to teach someone how to drive, do you teach them to drive on the right hand side unless they're overtaking?". I said no of course not if they're just learning to drive they would be driving too freaking slow and wouldn't have the courage to drive on right hand lane anyway, furthermore I am not a learner here am I? Do you see a L plate somewhere on my car? Nope.

He just slammed my door and walked off leaving me with a $170 fine and 2 demerit point.

Ok, I checked Vicroads and it did say to drive on left hand side, unless overtaking. So what, this is a guide that needs to be taken in context depending on the situation. Maybe I intended to overtake the next bunch of cars in front?

Plus, Vicroad new rule also says nobody is allowed to stop on a freeway unless it is an emergency, and must stop on the emergency lane. So if your mobile phone rings, you cannot stop at the emergency lane to call? (since it is not an emergency?) I wonder who is the person sitting there each day trying to come up with new stupid rules each year to add to their books, rules that would earn them big bucks in fines.

What kind of communist society do we live in? Why are mentally challenged policemen so picky and have to give me a fine that is so picky? Are we living in a Nazi regime? Are they demented?
Do they have some fine quota they have to meet to keep their job?

He should be focusing his time in catching murderers and gangsters instead of cruising around in his stupid motorbike trying to fine people for driving on the right hand side of the freeway!

Last edited by a moderator:
See,

your mistake was that you needed to get over to the left so as to make the way clear for your P Plate driver doing 130 or more k's, and/or your motorbike rider who would be doing 160-200k's.

You silly man. :D

Can you send your picky policeman my way so at least he can enforce some parking rules:mad::D

Seems like the ones in NSW have no #$$#S

Cheers

You make your own trouble....if you had of said sir I'm sorry, I guess I was being a bit lazy staying in the right lane and thought that with no-one in front or behind me I could stay there...but I'm sorry....I apologise....

...You might have been let off...but you decided to argue the point with a policeman and that never works.....

Get over it and move on....oh and stay left too...!

I have never been fined because I have never argued the point with an officer of the law...and I have been pulled over many times only to drive away fine free.....and every time I have indeed been in the wrong.....call it what you like but I call it wallet preservation...not ego boosting.

You make your own trouble..

too true. I grew up in Joe's era, when you didn't give the police attitude. Make your point once in a polite manner. Any more than that and you're digging a hole.

incidentally, in a fascist or communist state, the police would empty your wallet (into theirs), give you the fine, and sucker punch your spleen for arguing.

I can't believe these days some parents bring their kids up thinking they can spit and punch police and get away with it. It isn't the Australia I grew up in.

1) write to the ombudsman.
2) use the terms "vexacious", "opportunistic", "draconian" etc.
3) request the fine be revoked based on the fact there is no specific legislation citing driving in the right hand lane is an indictable offence.

You make your own trouble....if you had of said sir I'm sorry, I guess I was being a bit lazy staying in the right lane and thought that with no-one in front or behind me I could stay there...but I'm sorry....I apologise....

...You might have been let off...but you decided to argue the point with a policeman and that never works.....

Get over it and move on....oh and stay left too...!

I have never been fined because I have never argued the point with an officer of the law...and I have been pulled over many times only to drive away fine free.....and every time I have indeed been in the wrong.....call it what you like but I call it wallet preservation...not ego boosting.

No, he never gave a chance. He pulled me over, told me I was driving on the right hand lane and said that is an offence, I said I didnt know that was an offence with an innocent look, and he asked for my license and went to his bike to write it up. It was only after he gave me the fine and was going away that I started to argued with him!

I can't believe you think you're in the right. You must keep left unless overtaking on freeways. What planet have you been living if you don't know that?

I do a lot of freeway kms, and there is always some d***head hogging the right lane, completely oblivious to what's going on around him/her, impeding the faster traffic flow and therefore potentially causing dangerous situations. Standard response is "i'm going fast enough, no one passes me" or I passed a car a few minutes ago. How stupid.

I've driven in Euro countries with higher speed limits, and they have very courteous and safe road manners on the motorways. Come back here and see how some morons are on the fwys, makes you wanna cringe.

Anyway, while I stongly disagree with the current overactive speed camera situation here in Vic, I fully agree that they enforce this right lane rule to the letter.

BTW, if I was the cop, I would have also locked you up for being a smart a**e.

Drive safe:)

I can't believe you think you're in the right. You must keep left unless overtaking on freeways.

+1!

It's lucky you do live in Australia. In Europe you overtake and get back across ASAP. If you just hang out there in the fast lane it is viewed as extremely discourteous and you are highly likely to be booked if seen. Regardless of who is around.

This has been the law for decades but hardly ever got enforced so all sorts of poor driving habits resulted. In Perth we even saw freeway exits come in from the right lane which is just poor design and only encouraged these bad habits and made enforcement twice as difficult.

I'm just glad to see this is finally starting to be taken seriously in Australia. If there's no-one around you should be in the left most lane. No excuses. The right lane is only for overtaking. If everyone drove according to those rules the roads would be much safer - it's just common courtesy coupled with common sense.

+1!

It's lucky you do live in Australia. In Europe you overtake and get back across ASAP. If you just hang out there in the fast lane it is viewed as extremely discourteous and you are highly likely to be booked if seen. Regardless of who is around.

This has been the law for decades but hardly ever got enforced so all sorts of poor driving habits resulted. In Perth we even saw freeway exits come in from the right lane which is just poor design and only encouraged these bad habits and made enforcement twice as difficult.

I'm just glad to see this is finally starting to be taken seriously in Australia. If there's no-one around you should be in the left most lane. No excuses. The right lane is only for overtaking. If everyone drove according to those rules the roads would be much safer - it's just common courtesy coupled with common sense.

^ ^ Completely agree.

Try living in SA. So many knob jockeys holding up the right hand lanes it's not funny. At least more people seem to be aware of the rules in Vic etc. :(

It's just courtesy. In Germany even on the autobahn you'll see Porche's flying down the road, pull out to overtake then move straight back into the slow lane.

+1!

+2
Drives me nuts when I have to overtake on the left on freeways....
No shortage of unless overtaking keep to the left - or something signs around Melbourne

Back