Made an offer on a small commercial unit!

Luce, this all sounds exciting, and a bit scary :). What is the plan insofar as opening hours, staff etc. Will you be helping with the running of the place? Do either of you have experience in this type of business? Are you near any other complementary food venues, or will you be providing nibbles or more substantial food?

I'm all for spur of the moment purchases too (once went for a walk, came home with a house). But this sort of caper is outside of my comfort zone.

Good luck with it. :)

We plan to open during the day too. The idea during the day would be to offer very affordable food, cheap ingredients, typical price point $5. So winter morning offerings would likely be porridge, seasonal fruit crumble, bread and butter pudding, plain caramelized brioche (I've only really been thinking about the sweet breakfasts so far - I'm a terrible sweet tooth! but I'll think of some yummy savory stuff too). Winter lunch offerings would be a soup bar, so choose your base (mash, brown rice, etc.), then choose your soup, then add any toppings, e.g. sour cream.

We'll do coffee too, but in addition to normal espresso+milk drinks, I want to offer good brewed coffee for $2.50.

At night we'll offer nibbles, tasting boards, tapas, etc.

Hubby works in hospitality (currently F&B manager of a big hotel, and has previously open and run restaurants for other people) and has a background in business (and an MBA) so he's good at numbers and running places. I like food and food trends, so I think I can help design a good menu. Hubby is also Spanish, so we'll probably have a few Spanish wines and some jamon, pan con tomate, manchego, etc.

Hubby will basically be there 24/7 because the venue is so small we won't be able to afford staff really. But at least he'll be close by and we can see him during the day, not like now where he works long hours 1.5 hrs away and stays over in the hotel one or two nights a week.

Yes, please, not the jars. They're so 2012. There is a small brewery that has opened up not far from home and I've wandered over there a few afternoons with a mate. They serve beer in jars. Last time I was there, I went up to the bloke who owns it and drew him aside and said, 'I've had a great idea for you. This will blow your mind. It's going to be great for business.'
'What?' He's said.
'Beer glasses.' And I pulled one out of the bag I was carrying and gave it to him.

Awesome. I do not understand the deal with mason jars. But then, I do not understand the entire hipster subculture.

Hubby works in hospitality (currently F&B manager of a big hotel, and has previously open and run restaurants for other people) and has a background in business (and an MBA) so he's good at numbers and running places.

Hubby will basically be there 24/7 because the venue is so small we won't be able to afford staff really. But at least he'll be close by and we can see him during the day, not like now where he works long hours 1.5 hrs away and stays over in the hotel one or two nights a week.

He sounds like he knows what he is doing :D. I think it sounds pretty good. The food sounds amazing. I'm hungry now.

Good luck with it. Keep us posted.

Awesome. I do not understand the deal with mason jars. But then, I do not understand the entire hipster subculture.

It's all about teapots now:

"King Leslie's Ginger cocktail - Ginger liqueur, lemon & ginger tea, Chambord, vanilla extract, lemon juice and topped with sparkling wine. Elegantly served in a tea cup and saucer. Pinky finger up in the air or down? It's your call."

https://www.facebook.com/meatballsandsons/photos/pcb.526887614087734/526885240754638/?type=1&theater

Awesome. I had concerns you were thinking of Orange and I was wondering how you would go against Union Wine Bar.

Sounds really good.

Division 3A of the Liqour Act is what you need for a small bar (under 60 people) http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/view/inforce/act+90+2007+cd+0+N

Had any discussions with council on this one yet?

Nice central location?

Yup, CBD location. We've had Geoff the planning man and Geoff the food safety man through to look at it (that's how we know we're going to need the ambulant toilet), and spoken with the local licensing officer. Everyone has been pretty helpful and they can all see what we're trying to do.

Been up to the accountant and once we've finished our business plan we'll pass it on to him to check, and get him to help set up a company for us (buying as individual or trust and then renting to company). Been on to conveyancer who has suggested some helpful contract clauses.

Now it's just a matter of finding the money! (Saw your missed call Pete - will give you a bell tomorrow :) )

ETA: btw, you know what Orange is missing? A good breakfast place. It has good restaurants e.g. Lolli Redini, a few good coffee spots e.g. Bills Beans, and of course it has the Union Bank, but there's not really a great breakfast place.

Oh wow. Sounds very cool. Bathurst was up on the list before I settled on Tamworth. Let me know when you want to come here and kick along the gentrification around us ;-)

ETA: btw, you know what Orange is missing? A good breakfast place. It has good restaurants e.g. Lolli Redini, a few good coffee spots e.g. Bills Beans, and of course it has the Union Bank, but there's not really a great breakfast place.

Planning on making it an early opener??

I like a little Baileys on my weeties ;)

Back