Magazine rack in powder room

Thoughtful to your visitors, or tacky?

I have no idea what the etiquette is. Give me your views!

(Definitely having one in the ensuite, this is specifically asking about the toilet that will primarily be used by visitors.)

If you went to the bathroom in a friend's house and it had a magazine rack, would you:

1) think "uh - gross!",
2) pick up a magazine, or
3) not think anything of it?

We don't have one but think nothing of it if someone else does. I think it's a great place to put your read magazines. If there was one in someone else's home, I would pick up and read if interesting.

Eww. No way I'm ever going to use your smart phone... :D

Ha! It's waterproof, I can wash it!

Reminds me of this:

5bc803176dc044091281e9f5ced5376b2fb34cc502c6a4902d62a147c35e4ada_1.jpg

Nope no toilet reading in the powder room. I don't want to touch something that has fecal matter all over it from when everything goes flying during a flush.

So keep it for your ensuite but I think no point for a powder room.

I wouldn't put a magazine rack in the powder room. Our "powder room" has a WHOLE BLOODY LIBRARY in it and hubby will sit there for hours. He thinks I don't know what he is up to, hiding from me and the family :D.

If a visitor wants or needs to read, then that means I'm sitting at the table twiddling my thumbs, waiting for them to come back and finish their cuppa. (Put a magazine in there and I may as well go and have a lie down.)

I once saw a super gross Mythbusters episode where they showed how much fecal matter got on things from a toilet flush. I almost threw up

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/fecal-matter-on-toothbrush/

I saw that one too. And the faecal matter gets on toothbrushes too. Whenever you smell something, it means particles of it are in the air. But I try not to get too hung up on those things. Much worse are door handles on public toilet doors--apparently they have more faecal matter on them than toilet seats.

Still think there's nothing wrong with a magazine rack next to the loo.

I saw that one too. And the faecal matter gets on toothbrushes too. Whenever you smell something, it means particles of it are in the air. But I try not to get too hung up on those things. Much worse are door handles on public toilet doors--apparently they have more faecal matter on them than toilet seats.

Still think there's nothing wrong with a magazine rack next to the loo.

Yup won't stop me enjoying a private read in my own loo but I don't want to touch anything in someone else's toilet :)

The amount of ***** on phones in the workplace is astounding too

I once saw a super gross Mythbusters episode where they showed how much fecal matter got on things from a toilet flush. I almost threw up

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/fecal-matter-on-toothbrush/
Um, doesn't the finding of an equivalent amount of fecal matter on the toothbrushes in the distant office prove that the toilet's no dirtier than anywhere else? :confused: i.e. Doesn't this experiment negate rather than support your position?

Back