Magic Moo Cow

I didn't have a clue what WW's "magic moo cow" heading referred to originally because I've never been near Navra.

Reading on, it seems it is a buy/write strategy. I've been mulling this over for years and still can't see it work, in practice.

Does anyone do it and make a profit after costs?

I am reading a Louise Bedford book that only arrived yesterday and she says you need to trade a min of 5 contracts to control costs. That looks to me as if you need a qtr mil bank to fund a single position. A broker will only let you write a call if you have the underlying stock in their CHESS register so you can't even cover with CFD's.

How does this work?

Hi all,

Here are some facts and statements by Steve Navra..

All the above comments were stated by Steve Navra in post 230 of this thread in answer to questions of KeithJ....
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19649

From a different thread...

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19162

Steve stated this in post 71..

and this in post 73....

According to the December Quarterly Update from the Navrainvest website the performance of the retail fund has been an annualised 7.56% total return over 6 years.

The 3 year total return has been -2.62% annualised.

I have been banned from commenting about, well pretty much anything to do with the Navra structure and funds etc, so I wont.

bye
I went along several years ago paided the money to have a listen to what he and his team had to say,most was simple learning,a lot about himself,his past and what he thought would happen but at the end of the day,when anyone could have a quick chat for a few minutes,, he told me upfront after i told him what we had under control,and all he said to me was he could not help me,just keep doing what i was already doing no problem,no one saw the last bust-up before it happened,or the next important event that is not expected to happen..willair..

Moo Fund renamed Accelerator and advertising on tv

just saw an advertisement of tv for this fund, named Excela Accelerator and it turns out it is the Moo Fund or (Magic Moo Cow) fund renamed.

Had a look at performance and whilst it is tracking below its old benchmark, the ASX50 Accumulation Index, the returns are being propped up by the monthly distrubutions. Actual capital value has decreased from $1 to 75c.

Anyone seen this or looked into it - interested to get your comments.

http://www.excela.com.au/st/income-funds/moo-fund-for-income/

Just had a quick look

Excela (EXA) is an ASX listed Funds Management Company which invests in a diversified range of assets, both directly or through its own flagship funds – Generator, Emergent, Maximiser and the Managed Options Opportunities (MOO).

I think your right, MOO is now Accelerator and you can get a DVD telling you all about it narrated by Rachel Friend ;)

Excela (EXA) itself is also listed on the ASX and is down to around .23c

Obviously trying to market the Accelerator Fund to the wider public to increase FUM. Bit heavy with fees too: entry fees, buy/sell spreads, management fees, incentive fees.

Have no issue with reasonable management fees and incentive fees for performance but not at the sacrifice of poor returns.

Glad I have learnt how to do this strategy personally.

Obviously trying to market the Accelerator Fund to the wider public to increase FUM. Bit heavy with fees too: entry fees, buy/sell spreads, management fees, incentive fees.

Have no issue with reasonable management fees and incentive fees for performance but not at the sacrifice of poor returns.

Glad I have learnt how to do this strategy personally.

Same here. I have some lazy super that would suit such a fund but not enough to trade on its own, but damned if I'll give away 4% plus on entry fee when the decision to invest is all mine.

are you aware that the contract size has reduced down to 100 contracts for options now? Tho brokerage rates have not yet reduced...but i expect there will be pressure on to do this soon. OCH Fees have been reduced proportionately as well.

Don't really need a lot to get started - I started with $8K about 10 years ago now.

are you aware that the contract size has reduced down to 100 contracts for options now? Tho brokerage rates have not yet reduced...but i expect there will be pressure on to do this soon. OCH Fees have been reduced proportionately as well.

Don't really need a lot to get started - I started with $8K about 10 years ago now.

I've been watching the main stream brokers with interest expecting a drop in brokerage - but nothing so far. Need one to lead and the other will follow.

Regards,

Jason

Yes, but option sale brokerage as a percentage of premium makes small trades less economical. For example today I could have done a 4 contract WBC trade on shares held and received about $200, but with $45 brokerage that is an effective 23% cost. I do a few, but prefer to make the trade worthwhile. I find that with my $150k working I can do about net 1.5% to 2% a month, not sure I can do as well with the $25k my super fund has in cash. Then again, perhaps I wouldn't buy as many duds either such as LEI and MQG :mad:

Back