Mail outs to avoid agents

There's an apartment building I've had my eye on for years that I'd love to get into, but they come up infrequently and each time the agents that have the virtual monopoly have proved a real pain. Even worse, because I've missed out on a couple they now know me, how keen I am and what my real budget is. Has anyone tried sending letters asking if anyone will consider selling privately when the time comes? Any other ideas?

I don't think you've got much to lose. I've done letter box drops in areas where I'm interested in purchasing and I've had a couple of people contact me as a result. They didn't lead to purchases in the end but that's unrelated.

I've seen letters going direct to the owners of properties we had listed for sale telling the owners that they need to sell privately to the neighbour because the agent is trying to sell the property for a price that it's not worth and they will offer them the "real" lower price privately.

sorry - just reminded me of this, there may or may not be any comparisons here :)

Two attempts to purchase from agents in the building have ended badly - both times through their own bungling when I was prepared to pay top $. And as I said, now that they know me they tend to use me as a foil to raise prices against other bidders. These aren't expensive units and I don't mind paying a solid price as it is for my own use.

Don't know the whole story as only you the REA and vendors would.

However from my side it appears you didn't have the strongest offer both time. If you were willing to pay more than you should of had that on the offer otherwise the other offer as it was better.

I highly doubt the REA are out against you, they are wanting to make a sale and both times you have missed out.

Two attempts to purchase from agents in the building have ended badly - both times through their own bungling when I was prepared to pay top $. And as I said, now that they know me they tend to use me as a foil to raise prices against other bidders. These aren't expensive units and I don't mind paying a solid price as it is for my own use.

Drop that building a letter then. You never know what could happen

There has to be more to the story.

No Agent, or vendor is going to NOT accept a high price.

My colleague did a letter box drop as she really wanted to buy in a particular suburb. One person was interested but they didn't really know what they were doing and tried to get an agent involved right before the contracts were exchanged. Of course, the agent tried to get them to pay more than they had already agreed to but she just told him she wasn't interested in paying any more and they exchanged as normal. I do wonder if the silly vendor still had to pay the REA something though.

I would think it would be an advantage if the agents thinks your offer is serious and would want to close a deal. Couldn't you just get some-one else to make the offer on your behalf.

We bought a property in Q'land via Letter Drop in the last cycle ( organised everything from Sydney , though subject to inspection )

Only property we've bought where the valuation came in above purchase price .

Cliff

Canvassing privately can definitely work- we've done it for many clients now and though the response rate is low, it's worth it if you've only got a small number of properties to prospect. Just make sure you have a plan when you do get the call and the owner is interested......:D

Back