Maintenence on Smoke alarms & RCD's in WA

Just got this from my property Manager just wanted to share :

Re: SMOKE ALARMS IN YOUR INVESTMENT PROPERTY

Your obligations relating to Smoke Alarms

*******Please reply to this email with either YES or NO as per the below agreement.

· State legislation now requires the installation of mains powered smoke alarms (and RCDs) in all residential properties – including investment properties.

· It is also a requirement that these alarms and RCDs are also regularly maintained to ensure they remain in working order. We want to be sure your property complies with these requirements.

By not complying with the legislation and not maintaining your smoke alarms, you risk penalties and not being covered by your insurance in the event of a fire.

Our Service Offering

· We have enlisted The Smoke Alarm Company, a professional smoke alarm installation, testing and maintenance company, to install (where necessary), thoroughly assess and maintain the smoke alarms installed in your property(s).

· We consider this approach the most effective means to ensure your ongoing compliance with applicable building regulations.

Maintenance Services

For an annual levy of $85.00 inclusive of GST (and tax deductible), The Smoke Alarm Company will undertake all required annual servicing and certification services including:

v Cleaning alarms thoroughly to ensure ventilation holes are clear of obstructions
v Battery testing and replacing batteries for FREE
v Test reaction of smoke alarm with smoke test canister
v Photoelectric and ionisation sensitivity testing
v As many service visits as required throughout the annual maintenance period
v Confirmation of correct quantity of smoke alarms
v Confirmation of correct positioning of smoke alarms
v Certificate of Compliance
v Ensuring hard-wired alarms are in full working condition
v Check that residual current devices (RCDs) are mechanically sound

The Smoke Alarm Company Pty Ltd can also supply a full RCD test for your property or they can perform a Test & Tag service to all your supplied home appliances.

We need to know how you wish us to proceed in the management of your property. Please reply by copy and pasting either the YES or NO agreements below:

Required Annual Maintenance

YES Please include my rental property in the required maintenance service and ensure my property(s) is included until I inform you otherwise

NO I acknowledge that I have been fully informed about smoke alarm and RCD requirements and possible fines, and that I have chosen to undertake the maintenance by my own arrangement. I agree to release your Company from any possible litigation or fines that may arise from the property’s smoke alarms and RCDs not working or not being serviced properly.

Yep I got 3 of these emails for each property so $85 each (wonder what cut property manager will get).

Will also need my PPOR checked out to keep the insurance company happy

Cant I just test the smokey by pressing the test button ?

Don't Smokeys start to beep if they need a new batteries ?

RCDs just need the test button pressing also ?

:confused::confused:

In the recent edition of REIWA News (April 2012) it was stated that it is mandatory for smoke alarms to be serviced annually; This is not correct.

Under the Building Regulations Amendment Act, owners are required to 'maintain' smoke alarms, although it does not stipulate the frequency or method of maintenance.

To minimise the risk to owners it is recommended that they enter into a regular maintenance program, providing sound evidence of compliance with the regulations.

Many agencies advised that they had to be maintained annually which was passed onto owners.

FESA recommends

Smoke Alarm Maintenance

For smoke alarms to remain effective they must be tested and maintained regularly.

FESA recommends the following key smoke alarm maintenance routine:

*Testing once per month to ensure the battery and the alarm sounder are operating
*Replacing batteries annually, where appropriate
Check your smoke alarm for a build-up of dust and cobwebs and clean with a vacuum cleaner at least every six months
Vacuum with a soft brush attachment around the smoke alarm vents
Use a surface insect spray around the smoke alarm to prevent insects nesting inside
*Always refer to the manufacturer’s guide when selecting batteries and following testing procedures

When maintaining your smoke alarm it is also important to note the following:

Generally, smoke alarms will sound a warning ‘beep’ every 60 seconds for a minimum of seven days when the battery needs replacing. Refer to manufacturer’s guide for exact warning details
Smoke alarms should never be painted
Contact the manufacturer or supplier with any queries regarding your smoke alarm

Legislative Requirements

Cant I just test the smokey by pressing the test button ?
That just tests the sounder and battery. Does not actually test the smoke detection chamber.
Don't Smokeys start to beep if they need a new batteries ?
Yes they are supposed too. But many tenants just disconnect it instead when it starts beeping so I guess they are trying to reduce that. That said a new battery costs a couple bucks and you are already there with a ladder and can of smoke so why not change it.
RCDs just need the test button pressing also ?
:confused::confused:
Pressing the test button is a basic test yes.
Under the Aust standards you need to test that they trip in under 30ms at 0deg and 180deg of the sinewave. Its not unusual for a RCD to trip on the test button but be too slow when timed.
Many companies claiming to test are only using a basic tester that does not time the trip therefore I would dispute that their test is worth anything as maintenance unless they provide you with the results.

I believe the annual testing is an outgrowth of the worksafe recommendations that the RCD's be tested at least every 12months in a fixed installation in commercial/industrial. Portable is every 3 months fyi.

grief - and now that all that other stuff is mandatory there will be other little sucklers sprouting up. "the peep hole certification company pty ltd", "key locked doors and windows r us" - you really should have us check your doors and windows have operating locks for the small fee of just $15 each, otherwise if there is a break in you could be personally liable, heck you could even go to gaol on criminal charges! Please tick yes or no below.

Yes - I agree to just pay up and move on

No - I politely decline your service and acknowledge that I am in breach of all sorts of statutory and fiduciary and moral obligations and may well end up losing all of my assets, getting divorced and serving up to 25 years in a maximum security prison

Will need to get these guys around my place to check the smokies in my own home other wise I will be putting my family at risk and the insurance wont cover any loss.

Will be giving the insurance company a call tomorrow to see were I stand.

regarding the insurance company surely a smoke alarm is there purely to warm of a fire and to therefore evacuate and call the fire department and a faulty alarm is no way responsible for the fire therefore cant be used to nullify a policy.

Can of smoke is about $20. Reading the instructions, about 5 mins time. Though I will mention that some smoke detectors are purely thermal(heat) activated.

RCD testor ie this one $160

Since under Aust law you can test and tag appliances without an electrical licence I see no reason why you could not do the same for household RCD's.
Record the results/date and perhaps get the tenant to sign that you were there.

Sub $100 fee is not too bad when you consider the time involved in organizing the visit, then doing the tests.

Can of smoke is about $20. Reading the instructions, about 5 mins time. Though I will mention that some smoke detectors are purely thermal(heat) activated.

RCD testor ie this one $160

Since under Aust law you can test and tag appliances without an electrical licence I see no reason why you could not do the same for household RCD's.Record the results/date and perhaps get the tenant to sign that you were there.

Sub $100 fee is not too bad when you consider the time involved in organizing the visit, then doing the tests.

Don't you have to have completed a course though and be deemed a "competent" person?

Good thing you didn't quote me. I just tried to find the link to the course I was thinking of and couldn't. You can, however, do a 1 day course which costs about $300.

Unless they have changed it in the last 2-3 years its only recommended you do the course as proof of competency.

For appliance testing I feel the course is definitely required its not a simple as pressing a button and looking at the result.

Back