Makes you think..

George Best probably sums it up:

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

"In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life."

"If I had to choose between dribbling past 5 players and scoring from 40 yards at Anfield or shagging Miss World, it’d be a hard choice. Thankfully, I’ve done both."

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/George_Best

$150k per year as a partner in a top 4 lawfirm? I am feeling much better out here in the burbs already.

We dont have electronic transfers from trust accounts in Qld which helps to a small degree in stopping these things.
Don't know why he "bought friendship"....I would have rented it by the hour.

Just glad I'm not a partner who needs to "tip in" my share of the shortfall.

It always surprises me when firms dont have security measures in place to stop this sort of thing..... but it also happened in our firm, where an employee was approving payment of building work which wasnt actually done, and then taking a share of the money. It had been happening for many years and he was a very trusted employee and friend of the owner.
It only got discovered cause the tax department did an audit of one of the building companies, and they contacted our company to let them know something was dodgy.

It always surprises me when firms dont have security measures in place to stop this sort of thing..... but it also happened in our firm, where an employee was approving payment of building work which wasnt actually done, and then taking a share of the money. It had been happening for many years and he was a very trusted employee and friend of the owner.
It only got discovered cause the tax department did an audit of one of the building companies, and they contacted our company to let them know something was dodgy.

I did an anti-corruption course back when I worked for a gov agency (all public servants need to do this now) and guess what the best indicator is for corrupt activity?

No leave. The person never takes leave because they cannot let somebody else take over their job and risk being found out.

I did an anti-corruption course back when I worked for a gov agency (all public servants need to do this now) and guess what the best indicator is for corrupt activity?

No leave. The person never takes leave because they cannot let somebody else take over their job and risk being found out.

That sounds like a lousy best indicator to me.

That is certainly how one major case that I know about was discovered. It makes sense.

150k as a senior c level manager for a leading law firm....

Why would ya wanna do law? Not a great salary. A 7 year high school teacher with a good record can now earn 107k.

Also shows that Politicans are on a farily good wicket by comparison.

Best salaries always have been in high finance, trading and broking...lawyers and doctors next rung down.

Also shows that once you start spedning that kind of money on 'lifestyle' whether its yours or not then its pretty hard to turn back. Your friends and family expect it too...

I reckon if you can earn 250k and live of 80k then you should be able to retire after 10-15 years with no change in lifestyle.

$150k per year as a partner in a top 4 lawfirm? I am feeling much better out here in the burbs already.

QUOTE]

it is adelaide after all!!

lots of the bank managers have been done by not taking leave, hard to keep the rotation scam going when they r away so they never take leave

Its sad he felt he needed to spend all that money just to keep those 'friendships' . Im sure the friends have disappeared along with the money. Strange thing is in prison he might actually make a bunch of new friends with some of the stories im sure he has to tell. Will be minimum security so more of the friendly types than the dangerous crims.

Its sad he felt he needed to spend all that money just to keep those 'friendships' . Im sure the friends have disappeared along with the money. Strange thing is in prison he might actually make a bunch of new friends with some of the stories im sure he has to tell. Will be minimum security so more of the friendly types than the dangerous crims.

There's a good chance he's probably one of those personalities that's a bit self absorbed (narcissistic), and probably feels no remorse - just peeved he was caught, and the good times are over.

I've had dealings with a few of these types, and they all seem to share a similar profile.

$150k is a typical accountant salary for this sort of work and yes it is pretty ordinary - often very stressful too.

I understand a partner in a decent accounting practice will get $750k+ but they need to be pulling in the business and if they aren't adding value they are only as good as their last timesheet

We dont have electronic transfers from trust accounts in Qld which helps to a small degree in stopping these things.
Don't know why he "bought friendship"....I would have rented it by the hour.

Not going to stop it in any way,when this happens does it always go public or are these matters kept inhouse and sometimes settled behind closed doors ,as too not damage the public image of the company,and as far as the renters went, he must have a good time,but's what's 14 seconds..

He was the accountant for a top law firm. Lots of compliance, accounts payable, payroll, FBT stuff. Nothing to do with clients.

It doesn't say he stole from trust accounts. Most likely it just came out of the general expenses of the firm.

Back