Making a freestanding dishwasher mobile

Sim

Administrator
Referring back to my thread 12 years ago about mobile dishwashers - our trusty Dishlex with mobile conversion kit has finally given up the ghost and it looks like it is time for a new dishwasher.

From what I've been reading, none of the manufacturers are making these conversion kits anymore - so we need to come up with a different solution.

I have read a few suggestions of people doing their own conversion - basically adding some kind of cabinet (wood or metal) with caster wheels on the bottom to allow you to move a free-standing dishwasher around the kitchen.

We already have the hose adaptor (can take it off the conversion kit we have - works perfectly well!).

I'm wondering if anyone has ever made a mobile free-standing dishwasher or if you have any suggestions?

My main concern would be the machine tipping when loading/unloading - my Dishlex kit has a heavy counter-weight you attach to the back of it to prevent this.

Thinking outside of the box..... Replace all of the cupboards with commercial stainless steel benches which are already on casters and leave the dishwasher where it sits.

Thinking outside of the box..... Replace all of the cupboards with commercial stainless steel benches which are already on casters and leave the dishwasher where it sits.

If I was able to replace the cupboards, then why not just build a space for a dishwasher?

Nice idea either way - but the property is rented, hence the need for a mobile dishwasher.

Use your old hoses set up for the purpose and screw some castors to the bottom of the dishwasher - in the 4 corners. Worked for me for a number of years when renting.

Use your old hoses set up for the purpose and screw some castors to the bottom of the dishwasher - in the 4 corners. Worked for me for a number of years when renting.

This is basically what we were thinking of doing. We have the hoses already and will see if I can re-use the casters from the existing dishwasher. Otherwise, it shouldn't be too much of a problem to source new ones.

I've been reading that most "freestanding" dishwashers already have a counter-weight built into the base to stop them tipping forwards, so in theory I shouldn't need the heavy back part my current dishwasher required.

is it an option to buy a bench top one.

For starters, they are far too small for a family, plus we simply have no bench space available - it's a small kitchen and the benches wouldn't be deep enough anyway (very old kitchen!).

Sim might sound bodgy, but one of those timber removalists dolly's might do the trick.. the wheels need to be moved to the edge of the timber tho as they have a tendancy to tip by design

Back