Male pup , to fix or not to fix ?

Just got his only a little Jack Russel , pup a few mths back. We were just gonna leave the goods be originally .
Thinking ah , he's only a little fella , should be right.
But bugger me a male dog came in yesterday , unfixed and the damn thing was trying to hump everything in sight including our pup . An hour later and he's still trying.
Sure makes you think .

Any clues , what's best , is your dog done ?

Jack Russells can be a very aggressive dog. He's nice and cute now, but that will change (even if you don't fix him). I'd have them removed unless you want to breed him.

Our female JR also humps a bit. They're a breed that will assert domination if they're given the opportunity. We had a few amusing incidents where my wife and I had to assert ourselves as the pack Alphas.

Last edited:
Get him fixed. It's not so much about them humping your leg it's more about them trying to escape and smashing other dogs on heat. The last thing the world needs is more mutts running around.

If you can wait until he's about a year and finished growing as early snips can cause hormone issues which affect development of bones and muscles.

I would get him fixed as soon as you can. My male had a retained testical so I waited an extra couple of months to see if it would drop to avoid invasive surgery. Ended up having to do minor invasive surgery anyway but from my research the sooner you have it done the better for behaviour. Being a rescue dog it was a condition of purchase and all costs inclusive. Other research I came across was to teach your dog the humping isn't acceptable. Easier said than done!

Can you prevent him from escaping to look for female?

If not fix as soon as he reach the age. Otherwise maybe wait like westminster said.

We've had several dogs . Left one unfixed at the request of the breeder as there weren't many around .

Aggressive little thing compared with his fixed predecessor of the same breed ( Swedish valhund , goggle them , look like a miniature German Shepard) constantly trying to escape . Caused much stress for us and the kids . Ended up being hit and killed by a car .

We've fixed all since then and would recommend it unless specific reasons why not to .

Cliff

I grew up with dogs done and undone. The only time we had one that wasn't done was by the request of the breeder we'd bought him from - he was a show winner and she was thinking about breeding from him. Definitely wouldn't have another one unfixed again, unless we wanted to breed (which we wouldn't - I'd have rescue animals). He was an aggressive little bugger and humped everything repeatedly.

Intact male dogs roam. My Vet friends tell me they also get hit by cars more because of this.

They also advise doing it before 6 months so the adult male behaviours don't start. Once they start then desexing doesn't undo it all.

Yeah his dad was a really muscly little bloke , great little mutt and l chose mine because he has the same build and nature .
l would like him to develop first as he's already built like a little tank only 4mths, so he should beef up a lot more more yet .
So l was thinking even if we did get him done l would like to at least leave things alone for awhile yet .

Doubt we'd ever breed from him as my daughters far more interested in boys now than the pup , that didn't take long :eek:

Back