Market data on Sydney properties

W

WebBoard

Hi,

I am interested to find out what the best sources are for following market trends in sales data and median prices of houses and units in the Sydney area (by suburb). Residex seems to be pretty good and detailed, but their software is quite expensive (AUD 198 per month).

Would somebody suggest to look into something else (i.e. an institution/company that provides similar information as Residex) ?

Thanks in advance,
Steven

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Steve, The Home Price Guide (on the Domain site) will give you prices in a particular postcode over the last 12 mths, for a fee, of course (around $50) Residex also publish a Residential Property Return Report every quarter for around $65. Both give you a good idea of current prices, capital growth and rental returns. Good luck with it all!
Cheers, Jacque :)

Reply: 2

Hi Steve

Is it expensive to have something like it OR expensive to NOT have something like it ?

I disagree that its expensive, for a serious investor making regular forays into the market a historical and predictive tool to back up gut feel for 2500 a year tax deductible has to be good value ?

RP Data is perhaps a little cheaper, but I believe the statistical models used in the Reside version are far superior.

Ta

Rolf

Reply: 2.1

Hi Rolf,

Thanks for your comment. I didn't realize it is tax deductible, this makes it of course a bit more interesting. I do agree with your first comment on NOT having the data; bad decisions are not deductible I suppose ...

Question regarding deductibility now is whether you can deduct it without having purchased any IP in a financial year. For private investors it cannot be classified as a business expense (I suppose)and it is therefore not deductible. What are the criteria to deduct it in case you're a private investor ?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Cheers

Steve P.

Reply: 1.1

Thanks Jacques, for your reply.
I am going to try the Domain site and see what sort of information they can provide.

Regards
Steve P

Back