market slow in this period of the year?

Does market gets slower in the christmas time? Do you think good properties will come only in the new year?
I am thinking of getting my first IP. I did like one property, but not sure if I should wait till February.

On the other hand, people know nothing really happens around xmas, so they might be more pliable to 'get it done and dusted' before christmas.
Alex

Does market gets slower in the christmas time? Do you think good properties will come only in the new year?
I am thinking of getting my first IP. I did like one property, but not sure if I should wait till February.

Divorce, Death and De banks don't stop for Christmas!

Cheers,

Bazza

I think more properties will be in the market and I will get choice to choose one from them

And there will be more buyers too. Not sure what it's like in Sydney, but in Melbourne at least, auction season starts again pretty much from first week in February.

the only people really wanting to sell at this time are people that have to, those that have the luxury of time, will wait until the new year.
Also your biggest opponent (PPOR purchasers) will tend to not look around this time because it's too much hassle.

Smells like oppurtunity to me.

Good point. I will keep it in mind.
But is this what you all think or this is your experience so far?
how good were your deals you made in this time of the year compare to the rest of the year?

It was 2 years ago on Boxing Day that my husband and I came up to Gladstone and looked at this house, it's out current PPoR and yes we did get a good deal on it at the time.
So I would say, if you have found something you like, why not go for it!

Good point. I will keep it in mind.
But is this what you all think or this is your experience so far?
how good were your deals you made in this time of the year compare to the rest of the year?

the circumstances won't guarantee a deal, it's your research and DD that will. I was just pointing out that it's not a necessarily bad time to keep your eyes out :)

No just Agents slow down

the past 2 weeks i have sold 6 properties (as a real-estate agent) which is slightly above average, so no the market (people) havent slowed down at all..however a lot of agents 'say' to their vendors that the market slows down, but really it is because the agent wants a break

:rolleyes:

and hi all this is my first time in here

I know from our Sales side which i am not part of we have had a record fortnight.

Over $4 Million in sales last week with the Principal and 1 Selling agent and with more enquiries from Investors each and every day I have to agree the market does not slow at Christmas.

All i hope is we get a breather for a few days between Xmas and New Year so we can start 2008 where we left off this year.

Speaking from experience my last two properties were bought in Dec/Jan. It wasn't really a strategy per se but on both occasions the vendors were very motivated to sell and I was able to negotiate good prices. There were also less buyers so less competition. I think that a good deal is there to be found anytime of the year provided you have done your homework.

Good luck!

We bought a property some years back when it had been passed in at auction in Dec. The vendor had to wait until feb until the agenets all started up again to get it back out onto the market.

Cheers,

The Y-man

I remember reading somewhere about when to buy.

One of the schools of thought was that because there were fewer people looking to buy over xmas and New year, then it was a good time to buy as there was less competition.

Same goes for winter - less buyers. It's an emotion driven thing for most, so people tend to get more excited when the weather is better and the flowers are out. Hence the Spring selling season. Ah, sheep...

In our area, which is a summer holiday destination, the reverse is true. Everyone is down at the beach, nothin' to do, so they go look at houses. True.

So, if you are not looking to buy in a seaside destination, then it could be a good time to buy until the kids go back to school.

Just got a call and offer is accepted. Wasnt expecting it will be this soon. Now i am thinking I should have gone for less. 3.5% less than asking price.

Just got a call and offer is accepted. Wasnt expecting it will be this soon. Now i am thinking I should have gone for less. 3.5% less than asking price.

hehe! I always start with a low ball offer! Worst that can happen is they say no!

but congrats on ur offer being accepted :D

Congrats Shail on your first IP . It's a big step.

Back to the thread ...over our history we've made a couple of good purchases in December including our PPOR. For some reason many people have a strong desire to have a deal "done" before Xmas ..can't think why, but that's humans for you. I'm going to a mortgagee in possession auction on 22 December. Now WHO would EVER hold an auction 3 days before Xmas ...but hey, I'm not complaining. It's my kind of Xmas shopping.
:D
LL

Back